• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nehrim-Oblivion Total Conversion

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Post apocalyptic could be either Fantasy or Sci-Fi. It all depends on how the apocalypse came to be. For it to be Sci-Fi: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology.

So if man created a virus,bomb,something, that killed everyone - Sci-Fi.
If magic/deity/flying Spaghetti monster returned to the earth and killed everyone - Fantasy.

A zombie could be Fantasy or Sci-Fi depending on how the zombie was created. Was it magic or was it science.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
ZZZ said:
Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology.

Actually good science fiction is usually social commentary in a fictional, alternative setting. For instance, Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Empire series. Most are futuristic in their settings, but not all. Alternate history stories (like if Hitler had won WWII) are also considered science fiction, and again are commentaries on the preceived changes that would have occured in society.

There is also Sy-Fy Channel original movies which are just trash. :laugh:

Anyway, I may try this mod once I get Oblivion reloaded on my rig.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
That was the definition from Dictionary.com....

I am also looking into this mod. Although I am not sure how motivated I will be to play it. I am still sorta burned out on Oblivion. 400+ hours.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
first things first use 10.9 drivers for this second on single card set out door textures to off make sure in the launch for the mod u set the performance enhancement options like trees using instances to lessen load u should jump to 30-35fps with those settings even with dual cards at 4ghz i struggle to maintain 60fps usually im in the 45-55 range

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
This mod is pretty fun, the environments are pretty awesome (screenshots here):
http://www.xfire.com/profile/armoredcavalry/screenshots/

However, the performance is just terrible.... No amount of tweaking seems to help either. I'm getting literally less than 10 FPS in a lot of city areas. Anyone else having issues? It really ruins an otherwise awesome mod.

I'll be trying it out sometime next week (can't DL atm)

Does your Oblivion game run fine otherwise? I can't imagine how with your hardware you're getting those fps...

Did you do the quad core ini fix? Go in the ini file in My Documents (not in Program Files) and change the entries below to read as follows:

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects= 1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFace Gen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

I'll be trying it out sometime next week (can't DL atm)

Does your Oblivion game run fine otherwise? I can't imagine how with your hardware you're getting those fps...

Did you do the quad core ini fix? Go in the ini file in My Documents (not in Program Files) and change the entries below to read as follows:

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects= 1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFace Gen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

Vanilla Oblivion runs perfectly. I can force 8xAA in CCC with HDR and I still get extremely high frame rates. Also, I do have the tweaks mentioned above.

It is starting to look like this mod is just very poorly optimized. The weird part is even if I crank the resolutions way down, and the view distances as well, it doesn't affect the terrible frame rates. So it must be a problem with the models/objects themselves.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
also try setting

bAllow30Shaders=0 to bAllow30Shaders=1

that forces oblivion to use Shader model 3.0 not 2.0 ati 5k cards are better with 3.0 and it helps with HDR rendering etc

also make sure your not running nehrim off an oblvion install that is using other mods as it can cause issues also if you uninstall nehrim it leaves your INI file sorta borked so do a reinstall and save yourself a headache

bAllow30Shaders=0 - If set to 1, this option allows (but does not force) the use of Shader Model 3.0 on graphics cards which support it, namely Nvidia GeForce 6600 or newer, or ATI X1000 series or newer. This can potentially improve performance when using HDR rendering for example. Check your RendererInfo.txt file in your \Documents and Settings\User\Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory to see if your card supports SM3.0 next to the option '3.0 Shaders'. Note however that even by enabling this option, Oblivion still appears to use 2.0 shaders (check the 'PSTarget' and 'VSTarget' lines in Rendererinfo.txt). In any case, if you have one of the cards mentioned above, it cannot hurt to enable this option.

Update: To force the actual use of 3.0 Shaders after making the above change, you will also need to check your RenderInfo.txt file (see above), and on the last line of the file check which shader package it uses (e.g. Shader Package : 13). Then go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Shaders\ folder and rename that particular package to something else (e.g. rename shaderpackage013.sdp to shaderpackage013._bak. Now copy shaderpackage019.sdp and paste it back into the same directory, and rename this new copy to the package name your card uses (e.g. rename it to shaderpackage013.sdp in this example). This will force Oblivion to use the Shader Model 3.0 shaders in the game, which may increase (or reduce) performance and typically shows no image quality difference.

Last edited:
also try setting

bAllow30Shaders=0 to bAllow30Shaders=1

that forces oblivion to use Shader model 3.0 not 2.0 ati 5k cards are better with 3.0 and it helps with HDR rendering etc

also make sure your not running nehrim off an oblvion install that is using other mods as it can cause issues also if you uninstall nehrim it leaves your INI file sorta borked so do a reinstall and save yourself a headache

bAllow30Shaders=0 - If set to 1, this option allows (but does not force) the use of Shader Model 3.0 on graphics cards which support it, namely Nvidia GeForce 6600 or newer, or ATI X1000 series or newer. This can potentially improve performance when using HDR rendering for example. Check your RendererInfo.txt file in your \Documents and Settings\User\Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory to see if your card supports SM3.0 next to the option '3.0 Shaders'. Note however that even by enabling this option, Oblivion still appears to use 2.0 shaders (check the 'PSTarget' and 'VSTarget' lines in Rendererinfo.txt). In any case, if you have one of the cards mentioned above, it cannot hurt to enable this option.

Update: To force the actual use of 3.0 Shaders after making the above change, you will also need to check your RenderInfo.txt file (see above), and on the last line of the file check which shader package it uses (e.g. Shader Package : 13). Then go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Shaders\ folder and rename that particular package to something else (e.g. rename shaderpackage013.sdp to shaderpackage013._bak. Now copy shaderpackage019.sdp and paste it back into the same directory, and rename this new copy to the package name your card uses (e.g. rename it to shaderpackage013.sdp in this example). This will force Oblivion to use the Shader Model 3.0 shaders in the game, which may increase (or reduce) performance and typically shows no image quality difference.

I tried this earlier from tweakguides, but it didn't increase performance and instead cause some artifacts.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
hmm it worked for me wierd i dont know then it greatly helped for me but it could be system differences and drivers as well unless you on 10.9... in which case i have no idea lol

Just to show what is happening for me, here is view distance at 100, and object/characters/etc. at 50-75:

Then, if I crank everything to below 30, I only see a ~4 fps improvement, and still horrible framerates:

The mod is fun, but the fact that with my specs I can barely run it makes me wonder how anyone with slightly older hardware is playing at all... :shadedshu

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
i dont know bro like i said i had to use crossfire to even get decent frame rates period and thats with every single tweak i can do. on 10.9 Oblivion is just not good at managing ATi cards period in general it runs better on nvidia im willing to bet anyone here with say an overclocked gtx 285 or 460 will see better frame rates.

i dont know bro like i said i had to use crossfire to even get decent frame rates period and thats with every single tweak i can do. on 10.9 Oblivion is just not good at managing ATi cards period in general it runs better on nvidia im willing to bet anyone here with say an overclocked gtx 285 or 460 will see better frame rates.

I don't think it is Oblivion, I think it is this mod that has the issues...

Also, I have seen people with GTX 460's complaining about the issue as well, so it sounds like it is a general issue...

Here is a post from the bethsoft forums:
I took a look at this in the CS to determine why it lags to high heaven. Theres really nothing but bad news here. My findings:

The biggest reason I can spot is Nehrim's use of meshes. On one hand, their creative usage of vanilla meshes and high detail makes Nehrim great. On the other, its horribly inefficient and causes the terrible slowdown that has been mentioned. The cells of Shadow Song Mine (the start dungeon) have 2,500* references each, which adds up to over 500,000 polygons(!!!) per cell. Whats worse is that about half these polygons (and therefore a lot of the lag) could be cut with very simple Nifskope edits. For example, anytime you see a rope in the mine it is attached to an animated high polygon zombie somewhere beyond the roof. One cell had something like 10 zombies, each with animation, collision, and plenty of polygons, each of which the player will never see. Likewise, all the pathways and structures are built of individual planks, each with their own collision and each of which adds to the reference count. Had these been assembled in a modeling program, thousands of polygons worth of collision could have been cut. Likewise, collision could also have been removed from the rocks in the ceiling and other inaccessible areas (especially since the start area is entirely corded off by collision walls - far, unreachable areas of the cave could just as well been a matte painting and no one would know better). Their love for disembodied lightbulb lighting with small radii probably doesn't help either (there are many places where several bulbs are placed though one could have sufficed), especially when you add the heavy AI into the mix.

Basically, this means that efficiently getting rid of lag means re-building large chunks of the gameworld :/

Oddly enough, the exteriors I briefly checked out were reasonable in reference count. My guess is that the view distance is at fault here, perhaps combined with the altered tree animations.

In a related issues, I suspect that the esm could use cleaning since I encountered several errors when loading. It also includes references to Arkwend (their Morrowind TC) and Cube (their FO3 mod), removing which could cut a bit off the file size.

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64

I'm not seeing any better performance than he is. I actually used PYFFI to optimize all of the meshes to get a slight improvement in performance. I'm also using OSR to replace the memory heap as well as a couple of mods like enhanced vegetation and optimized distant land max.

Here is a post that I saw on bethsofts forums that explains a lot.

Edit: I was going to post what the quote from Bethsofts forums that ArmoredCalvery just did.

I don't see how more gpu power would help.

I tried this earlier from tweakguides, but it didn't increase performance and instead cause some artifacts.

Every post that I've seen at Bethoft forums about those tweaks for the most part said that they don't do what they say that they do in the tweakguide article. I've actually never seen any evidence that these tweaks do anything, they never did for me.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
single card i get 15-25fps crossfire i can get 45-60 with tweaks but its only with 10.9 if i go back to 10.4 dual cards = squat

also if u look through the ini file nehrim thrashes it pretty damn hard with some strange settings if u uninstall nehrim u better do a full install of the game again as well. because the ini it leaves behind is so warped it causes crashes etc

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I have a problem

The game loads but I can't play.

When I click to start a new game nothing happens, I just remain in the main screen.

When I click to load an existing game I get this :confused:

Any help :respect:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
its a mod so go into the data files like u would any mod and enable them via the nehrim launcher

_33

System Name BEAST
Processor Intel Core i7 920 C0 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA batch 3844A509
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3
Cooling CoolIt ECO A.L.C. 120mm radiator
Memory G.SKILL F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI PC3-12800 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-21
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV
Storage SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 750GB X 2, WD2500KS 250GB, WD15EARS 1.5TB, WD20EARS 2.0TB
Display(s) LG W2361V-PF Monitors 23” Widescreen LCD Monitor (23.0” diagonal)
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply ATX V2.2 20/24PIN EPS12V Qfan 140MM Fan Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
its a mod so go into the data files like u would any mod and enable them via the nehrim launcher

I have the same problems as Black Panther. I have tried to activate the data files through the Nehrim launcher, but it doesn't make the game start with those activated.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
launch the game with the nehrim launcher it gives you a bunch of tweaks and options on the bottom left of that launcher will be a button to check data files click that select the nehrim files and enable them all then run the game

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Got the game and I had Application Lauch error so I moved it over to my Oblivion in my steam folder and it works.

Man I must say I haven't really even played but its fixed my broken Oblivion. HDR works now and it has tons more optimization settings.

Only bad news is that I think I can't move when the that thing collapses and I don't have a torch to light like it says I should. Might have to reinstall or something. BUT NO GREY SCREEN :)

EDIT: Disabled all my DLC content and Oblivion related Data files and the game runs flawlessly. Looks great, sounds great, plays great and feels great. Aside from the NPC's speaking German I really like this Mod :D

Last edited: