1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Networking issues - Wireless

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Havoc, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am trying to ammend a network situation at a friend's house at the moment, but I am having a few difficulties. I confess that I am not exactly a wireless guru of any sort, indeed I use an RJ45 lead where possible. But alasm this is not my setup.

Anyway, the setup is two computers going through a wireless router, one of them, a laptop works just fine, as I am writing to you from it. The other, the desktop and main computer does not work with connecting to it. The situation is as follows:

I try to connect to the wireless network via the start|connect to menu, and i get greeted with a screen that requires a network key, now here is where it starts to get a little sketchy. I am not 100% sure on the network key, or what it should look like. Is it a string of numbers/letters or a general passoword. I have both infront of me, but i'm not sure either works. I input the string of numbers and letters and the screen goes away. However, I can still not connect to the internet as I get the feared 'page cannot be displayed' screen. Furthermore I notice that the status on the Wireles connection in the taskbar by the clock remains at 'authenticating'

I'm not sure whether it is the network key that is incorrect, although I am not sure, because when the string of numbers and letters is entered, it goes away without error message, or it is a problem with the actual network card itself. Apparently the setup used to work sporadically, but of late it has failed all together. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks