• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Assembly help

David Jeang

Hey everyone, I know someone who's just purchased some new components to build his own desktop computer. The message he gave me goes as shown:

I recently purchased the various components needed to build my own desktop computer. After installing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc,. I powered on the system, but the system would not boot. The motherboard and CPU are clearly receiving power (LED lights on motherboard are lit, CPU and case fans rotating, etc.) I have swapped out the RAM, graphics card, motherboard and PSU but continue to experience the same problem. The installed components include the following: a MSI 990FXA-GD65 motherboard; an AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core Desktop Processor; 2 HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM memory modules; and a Sentey 850 watt modular power supply. I need someone to diagnose and fix the problem so the computer will boot and I can install the OS.

I don't know if he's tried individual component testing with a speaker, but am wondering if there's an obvious compatibility issue

I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but he needs to listen for POST beeps and find out how many he is getting. The motherboard manual will list what the beeps mean (no power to cpu, incompatible memory, etc.) so tell him to refer to that.

The quickest thing for him to double check is to make sure both the motherboard 24pin connector is plugged in (sounds like it is) and the CPU 8pin connector is (many people miss this one). The CPU Fan draws power from the CPU Fan Header, not the 8pin connector so it is possible he missed that. Also try re-seating everything, pull everything out and plug it back in.

How far is the system getting when it powers on? Can they get to BIOS? Does it POST?

Components improperly powered or a GPU issue are the most obvious first tests.

As far as I can tell that mobo doesn't have an onboard speaker, so he has to make sure there is a case speaker attached in order to hear any error beeps. Also, it appears to take a 6-pin PCIe power connector as well as the 8 pin CPU - so make sure that is connected as well.. I'm not sure if the graphics card has its own 6/8 pin connector, and if it does whether or not the one on the motherboard is required, but make sure it's plugged in anyway.

System Name bucd1
Processor Xeon E2670
Motherboard Asus X79 Deluxe
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 4x8 GB G Skill Snipers
Video Card(s) XFX 7750 (yeah...not much gaming since the kids but trying to get back into it)
Storage 256GB Toshiba SSD for OS : 2TB WD Black for games/storage : 1.5TB WD Green for backups
Display(s) Dell U2713H 27" IPS LED LCD
Case Cooler Master SPEC-03
Power Supply Antec 750W
Mouse Logitech 602 wireless
Keyboard Cooler Master MX Brown Mechanical
Software Windows 10
Motherboard may need BIOS update. Looks like for that processor it needs version 7640vJ9. So it's possible that the board came with an older BIOS and it needs updated. May need to find someone with a CPU that works on it to update the BIOS first.

Link to CPU support page with BIOS for download.
http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/990FXA-GD65.html#support-cpu

Good luck.

thank you,

-D