• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build - Need advice

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
So I'm doing a new build...but I have a few problems..

I do plan on building a new machine next year sometime around April, and put a couple thousand into it (Either Bulldozer or Sandy Britchs..err Bridge...or the SR-2 build I have always wanted..) The problem is I need a PC up and running now for work and play, and my laptop is just not cutting it.

I have pondered between the two setups and cannot decide for the life of me. This machine will eventually turn into a home media center with Linux and XBMC installed on it, so I don't want to sink a ton of money into it. ($450 tops for a budget)

Limitations Must be MATX board..its the only case I have, and I dont want to buy a new one.

AMD:

ASRock 890GM PRO3

Phenom II 1055t

4GB's of memory (cheapest that I can find)

Intel: Not a clue what to get that would be comparable..Been looking at P55/H55 chipsets and stuck between going Dual Core or Quad core. I had priced out the following..

i5-750

ASUS Maximus III GENE

Cheapest memory I can find..

Other parts I do have..

2 Power supplys, 500watt and a 650watt.
4870 and 5770 video cards
NZXT Rogue Case
4-5 HDs various sizes 500+gb

So in the long run, I need 4 months of work (Which mainly includes RDP and some other stuff from home) Video encoding / and gaming at 1920x1080. As well as some VMware work.

I'm leaning more toward the AMD for the cost effectiveness and extra cores for the encoding..but Intels got me on MB design especially the GENE III, I had a GENE II before and loved it..

Suggestions?