1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Router - impressed - can I use it to relay?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Black Panther, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Got the Edimax br-6424n.

[​IMG]

I get the whole of my house covered! Checked every corner with my laptop. Only occasionally the signal drops to 80%, otherwise it's 90%-100%.
    I'm speaking area coverage of 100 ft x 33 ft on two storeys, plenty of rooms with wifi-unfriendly 8" limestone walls, concrete steel-reinforced roof.

Router isn't in the middle of the house either. It's on one far end, near my pc.

About the relay problem:

Where we stay in the summer, there's this hotel very near with pay-per-use wifi. I can connect to it only if I go on the roof (which is out of the question due to direct sun and summer heat!).

I was wondering if there's a way to get my router to relay the signal somewhat so that I get it inside the house? For example put the router on the roof?

Can this specific router pick up an internet signal transmitted by a another router?
    Without having any modem plugged directly in its WAN?
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    The router isnt built (at least i dont think) to receive wireless signals (in terms of a gateway) you would have to look into something that is. Plus your router outside in the sun wouldn't be a good idea. would probably over heat.
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  4. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Well, if needs be I can always make some little umbrella to provide shade for the Edimax while on the roof....

Other than that, please let me put in simple words - does anyone have any feasible option so I can get on TPU at least for one measly hour a day between May-November?? Whether using my Edimax or buying something (what?) else?

Time's running tight now that we're mid-April :(
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    LOL. You mediterraneans! So, let me get this, you are on holiday in your summer house from May to November. In December it is Christmas, and April is Easter. Your working year is January to March?

Or is your husband working 24/7/12 while you play daughter-watch at the beach and he lives on sandwiches? :)
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    id take that life.
  7. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Lol I wish...

No we still go to work as normal during the summer.
    It's just instead of living in one place we live in another in front of the sea.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU