• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New screen, new headaches...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
IPS is nice with angles & vibrant colors... but man is it awful with darks! at least the low end IPS (yes there are multiple types, there's a reason we have $150 IPS monitors & it's not pretty)

i've been on VA for 7 years & counting, the 'worst' thing is greys getting brighter off center, but otherwise you dont have to deal with the annoying IPS glow

i've got a 40" VA and a 46" IPS, and the VA is terrible for blacks. games with 'night' are horrible - fallout 3 was the one that killed it for me, anywhere dark was either 'shimmery' from too high backlight, or impossible to see. IPS screen doesn't have this issue.

This is third party information, I haven't actually cracked my screen to find out. I was told it was likely a "LG VA panel" by a best buy tech who knew way too much in hindsight for his job position, so probably BS.

It's definitely a VA panel by performance however.
positive it's not TN? any secret osd menus? maybe some review figured out the panel

i've got a 40" VA and a 46" IPS, and the VA is terrible for blacks. games with 'night' are horrible - fallout 3 was the one that killed it for me, anywhere dark was either 'shimmery' from too high backlight, or impossible to see. IPS screen doesn't have this issue.
what models & prices? i would love to see high end IPS (i have heard some could have a polarizer that may solve the glow issue that's always seen on cheap ones, PLS is the same)

i dont understand how there is shimmering, maybe that's the wrong word or some setting is enabled

i'm all about fewest features (no dynamic contrast crap, other than local backlighting i suppose), as accurate as possible within the limits of a monitor's settings, & 0-255 RGB (tv standards mean 16-235, such a mess when some game devs dont know wtf they're doing when encoding intro videos)

i have also heard about the supposed better contrast with VA that RTB mentioned, but i dont believe that with my 'desktop monitor' VAs, black is dark grey & i'm not gonna deny that, but at least it's relatively correct when 0-255 greys are displayed (it's very important that there's no crushing so you know you will see all details, i dont care if i notice the first world problem of the bezel being darker than the screen, my eyes & mind will adjust, plus i'm rarely in an unlit room)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i dont understand how there is shimmering, maybe that's the wrong word or some setting is enabled

i'm all about fewest features (no dynamic contrast crap, other than local backlighting i suppose), as accurate as possible within the limits of a monitor's settings, & 0-255 RGB (tv standards mean 16-235, such a mess when some game devs dont know wtf they're doing when encoding intro videos)

i have also heard about the supposed better contrast with VA that RTB mentioned, but i dont believe that with my 'desktop monitor' VAs, black is dark grey & i'm not gonna deny that, but at least it's relatively correct when 0-255 greys are displayed (it's very important that there's no crushing so you know you will see all details, i dont care if i notice the first world problem of the bezel being darker than the screen, my eyes & mind will adjust, plus i'm rarely in an unlit room)

get a non LED LCD, get a black image and turn the brightness up, look closely at the pixels. its not 'black' - its a glowing black, or as you said above a gark grey.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
positive it's not TN? any secret osd menus? maybe some review figured out the panel

I mean anything is possible, but it looks like it performs similar to a VA.

I've tried finding reviews, mostly in vain. It's in my system specs for reference. It's fairly new and aparently a best buy exclusive, further making it hard to find reviews on.

Panasonic's own spec sheets aren't much help either.

It does appear to have good blacks though, so regardless of what it is, I like that. No dark greys here! Awesome for Elite Dangerous.

Processor Intel i7 7700k @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED Red 2x8GB 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX980TI
Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z / Dell SE198WFP
Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 - 64bit
Hi guys!

Got some "good" news!
Friend brought me his glasses (gunnar) yesterday for me to try for the whole week. Yesterday I used them the whole time while I was looking at the screens for several hours and had no headaches or any eye pain. I was kinda shocked, so I took them off for a while and after like half hour the headaches are back. I put the glasses back on and some time later all was good again.
I said "good" news because now it means I'll have to spend some money.
I wouldn't mind going for those gamma rays the problem is that the shipping cost for me make the glasses cost like the gunnars that I can buy here locally.
So I'll keep this glasses the whole week just to make sure they work and if no more headaches or any eye pain I guess I'll have to buy one of these.

As for f.lux as someone suggested I'm going to give it a try but, even if it changes the colors of the screen, isn't the screen still shooting that artificial blue light ?
I'll give it a try and post at the end of the week.
Thank you all! :D

get a non LED LCD, get a black image and turn the brightness up, look closely at the pixels. its not 'black' - its a glowing black, or as you said above a gark grey.
my monitor is CCFL from 2008 & the other one i can use is LED (with no flickering), everything is fine in the sense that i dont consider dark grey a 'defect', as long as it stays steady

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Friend brought me his glasses (gunnar) yesterday for me to try for the whole week. Yesterday I used them the whole time while I was looking at the screens for several hours and had no headaches or any eye pain. I was kinda shocked, so I took them off for a while and after like half hour the headaches are back. I put the glasses back on and some time later all was good again.

I understand for some it's going to come down to what price you can get them for and what the shipping costs, but part of the reason I decided on the Gamma Rays is they are noticeably more pale tint. Basically I didn't want any noticeable color change, and I didn't want to HAVE to wear them all the time. The Gamma Rays are just effective enough, without spoiling your eyes so much with blue-free light, that it becomes unbearable to go without them.

There are times I forget to put my glasses on, whereas I've read with Gunnars, some have said they get you to the point where you always have to wear them, or you might even experience more pain than you did before without them. So be careful what you wish for. Sometimes adequate is better than overkill.

Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Thanks for the reply back on trying to help @Frag Maniac
Well after almost 1 week with the Gunnar's I can say I'm happy with them. At first I was worried with the color change as well but after some minutes of wearing them you actually forget about it and you don't see the yellow filter anymore.
I can use the screen at full power without power saving settings and at "normal" colors that I would like to have.
Also the glasses make the colors look perfect to me, not so blue like I said before. No more head/eye pain like before when I wasn't using them.

But yeh I might get the Gunnar's, the Gamma Ray's shipping cost is too high. Can get the Gunnar's locally for the same price.

Thank you all once again!

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
But yeh I might get the Gunnar's, the Gamma Ray's shipping cost is too high. Can get the Gunnar's locally for the same price.
Yeah, then I'd say go for the Gunnars. Especially if they work well for you in testing.

What model are you looking at? I thought the MLG Phantoms looked nice.

Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Yeah, then I'd say go for the Gunnars. Especially if they work well for you in testing.

What model are you looking at? I thought the MLG Phantoms looked nice.

The ones I tried are the Vayper. I liked them, fit my face perfectly.
Most likely gonna get those.