1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Xeon's E5-

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by petedread, Mar 4, 2013.

1. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Hi all. Been away from the scene and not read any tech reviews for a while. That is until yesterday when I saw that Intel have released a new range of xeon's. Evga and Asus have made duel CPU boards. What do you guy's think of these chips, they are good but not unlocked. Do you know if Intel are going to release any "k" overclockable Xeons? I have seen the E5-2687W 3.10GHz and the E5-2690. Both have 8 cores, 16 threads and 20MB of cash. I would love to see unlocked versions.
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    No Xeons are not really supposed to be overclocked hence they won't be unlockable.

I guess the old were able to due to the increase the FSB available on the motherboard

Might release a desktop extreme edition like they've done in the past but still wouldn't be a xeon
    xvi says thanks.
  3. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    I see. That's a shame because I like overclocking and gaming but I also use Adobe Creative suit. This chips are great for Photoshop and Prem Pro but not so great at for gaming. I'm also tempted to get a i7-3970X but it's on 32nm silicon and it's old tech now but it does have those higher clock speeds and 15MB L3cash.
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Same here! i'm quite content with my 2500k and my second pc to use the network render ;)
  5. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Server processors are built for uptime/reliability. I don't think AMD or Intel would like anyone messing with that.

If you need both gaming and a workhorse, it sounds like you'll need two computers.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that would be the ideal situation but I can't afford to do that. I don't mind compromising but I do try to get the best possible compromise. Any ideas on the best compromise?
  7. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    The i7-3930K is looking tempting. Do you know if Intel intend to bring out a newer version in 2013. I'll be upgrading in about 4-5 months. The i7-3930K is not a Xeon then? Is it called a "extreme" chip?
  8. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    dude a 3930k/3960x at 4.5+ Ghz will wipe the floor with a single 8 core Xeon in everything the only way the Xeons will beat the 3930k/3960x at 4.5+ Ghz is if there are 2 of them and then only in multi threaded work loads as the 3930k/3960x at 4.5+ Ghz will have much better single core performance. You could try increase the bclk to 105mhz or something like that but stability will go right out the window and your Xeon will have a turbo just under 4Ghz and a normal clock of 3.225Ghz. And turbo will not be in use when you have all the cores under load.