1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New XFX 6970 artifacts in atitool only :(

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by bear jesus, Mar 30, 2011.

1. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently bought a 6970 and all was good and have been gaming for over a week now and decided to try some overclocking so launched atitool while at default speeds to note the fps and the moment i clicked scan for artifacts the window opened up filled with artifacts.

I set the fan to 100% to be sure it was not too hot an no effect, i under clocked to 500mhz with the fan at 100% and the artifacting was reduced it's still there and really bad yet on several days i have have spent multiple hours solid in game without a singe issue or artifact and great frame rates.

Surly if he card was bad 4+ hours solid gaming would show some kind of sign? i get no artifacts on furmark either and this has me kind of concerned because if i do have a bad card but it is only showing with a single program would standard RMA testing catch it? but also if only atitool is giving me errors could it just be an issue with the software?

I'm currently running occt to see if that comes up with any errors but this has me rather worried, but also if it's just an issue with atitool that makes me sad as i have enjoyed using it for many years.

Has anyone else had this issue? or have any advice for me?

*edit*
    Ran occt for an hour with 0 errors, I'm almost ready to assume it's just atitool failing me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm more confused now, i happened to be using three out of my four cores so defaulted the CPU bios settings and it massively reduced the artifacting in atitool but they are still there.

I noticed something wrong in game as well, in gta iv when it rains i get flashes of red like this
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I really do not want to have to RMA it but if i have to i want to be sure it is the card and not something else.

I would be grateful for any help. :toast:

Attached Files:

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What did you use to capture the image with the artifact?

4. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both are known driver issues. Your card is fine.

bear jesus says thanks.
  5. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used fraps to record a video clip then used vlc media player to pause the video then print screen an paste to paint.

It was the only way as they flash up too quick to just grab a normal screen shot.

Really? i did some searching but didn't find anything specific enough to think it was common, thus this thread.

With so many other programs not coming up with errors, nothing in any other game, great performance with no crashes or bsod's i thought it was odd.

That's what i wanted to hear :laugh::toast:

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't use ATiTool. It's old and doesn't support newer cards. It is common for newer cards to artifact in ATiTool.

7. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i have been expecting a day to come where atitool would not even run on a new card, I'm sure the last release is 5 years out of date now, i just liked that it was small and simple.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That day came years ago.

9. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: well i was lucky it was of use to me for so many years but i guess it's time to accept that it's dead *uninstalls atitool*.

10. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Trying to read up more on the red flashes in gta iv and the only thing i have come across is a thread that kind of concerns me here where someone had the same issue that was fixed by replacing the card.

I never had this issue with my 4870, single or crossfire 6870 just the 6970 but they all were all on different driver versions, I'm considering trying out either the 6870 or 4870 to see if i have the issue on this driver version with a different card but this is getting annoying.

I intend to put my 6970 under water but i don't want to shell out for a block, water kit and remove the stock cooler if there is something wrong with the card and as i have never had an issue like this with a new card I'm feeling very unsure about this all :(

Any thoughts on that thread an if it should effect where i go from here?

Thanks in advance for any advice :toast:

11. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a thread at Rage3d where an ATI beta tester is a regular someone had the same problem in GTA4. This time with green spot in the rain. The guy told him that it was a known issue. You could post this at AMD forums if really want to.

12. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    After reading your post i looked around more, on those sites and more google searches with different key words an keep finding more and more people with this issue on 69xx cards so i think I'm happy to accept it's just driver issues and just carry on with my plans :D

Thanks for all the help

13. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    atitool is OLD AND useless do NOT trust it

14. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    Using ATiTool is to old last one was 2006...

I would be very afraid of using it on new cards you may end up damaging your 6970 in the long run with it , i would not risks it

Please for the sake of your card use MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx they are the best two softwares that you can use right now