1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next gen processors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chitz, May 17, 2014.

1. Chitz

Chitz New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i am not the smartest kid on the block so i am asking you guys about this , so later on i've head that next gen core i7 extreme processors will allow to have a extra full pci slot ( unlike the ones in between )
    so basically allowing a 4 way sli with a pci ssd or some other card or some dual slot card

so does this in 2014 q4 there will be boards with 5 pci slots and there will be new bigger cabinets according to this size , i am in deep thought of buying a new coller master cosmos 2 and also a massive upgrade to maxwell and new i7 extreme one , if i get cosmos now would't this make the upgrade to next gen boards impossible o_0 please help me out on this one

2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    The new chips will have more PCIe lanes than the mainstream models, 40 vs 16, which would allow x8 x 5 directly by the CPU. However, the most common form-factors for X99 will still be ATX and CEB. I doubt we'll see an XL-ATX board, that kinda fizzled out years ago. Now with PCI Express and M.2 one can have PCIe based storage and leave the slots open for 4 dual-width cards.

3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    If this is true, you'll need a case like the Corsair 900D, which has 10 expansion slots and fits Mini ITX, Micro ATX, ATX, E-ATX, XL-ATX, and HPTX motherboards. There aren't many cases this big, and this one is considered the best for the price, ($320). That's nothing compared to what you'll spend on 5 video cards and the power supply to run them (only a few of the top 1500-1600 watt PSUs have 10 PCIe power connectors, $350 to $450, and of course you'll want 5 GTX 780s or R9-290x, that's another $2500. The mobo will be $400-$600 as well. To keep all this hardware from instantly melting down, you'll need an extensive water cooling system, another $1500-$2000. I hope you're saving your pennies (in 55-gallon drums), it's going to take about 700,000 of them...