• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo Sets New Game Console Shipment Record

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
I think you are slightly confused.

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are Current generation consoles.

The Wii is not.

It is the current generation of nintendo's counsel, their sales figures speak to that, thus it is current gen. They have simply taken another marketing approach, focusing on gameplay improvements over pretty things, and as you can see, it has payed off in spades. They can get away with it b/c gameplay always wins over graphics, and nintendo continues to deliver original gameplay in a way for some reason no one else cares to match. Remember the 64? Using "outdated cartridges" to deliver LOZ, Mario 64, Goldeneye, ect, some of the most influential games of the time, bleeding edge tech isn't what makes gaming good, it just helps make good games even better. ;)

Kudos Nintendo

Last edited:

Arkilae

Ahhh, the nation certainly does love their crapware with a good boost of shovelware.

I won a Wii back when it was first released, my family played Bowling for about ten minutes then it went in to the closet.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
You do realise how much cheaper consoles are in contrast to PCs? A $500 console will be able to play a whole lot more games that are more graphically intensive than a $500 PC (tower only). A console only has one PCB, and that has all the stuff on it, so therefore it effectively reduces manufacturing costs.

If you want to play games only a console is better for you, if you want to do anything else for the same price, of a console then a PC, but you'd sacrifice gaming to some extent with the PC at the same price as the console.

In a nutshell you're comparing apples with oranges.

My point is what makes a Console like the Xbox 360 different than the PC Hardware wise. They both have a Hard Drive, CPU, GPU, MB. Its just the way its manufactured and built that makes it cheap. Its still a PC to me, just given a limited OS and put into a different case is all.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Like i said before nintendo are marketing towards the whole family with there games non hardcore were predominetly pc is aimed toward teeenagers and older with hardcore games wich wont appeal to everyone. Even the ps3 new spokesman game is the cutesy Little Boy Planet because it can appeal to a much bigger audience then any Lara or fps or any other type of game is sad but its true. =/

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
I think you are slightly confused.

The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are Current generation consoles.

The Wii is not.

I thought you said in a previous post that the ps3 and xbox were next gen, now they are current gen. Anyway is it because the wii does not have the same graphics as the xbox or ps3 because these sales figures show that graphics are NOT important, they are not what makes it next gen, or last gen or current gen.

thee neonlightning

System Name Big Red Neon Rig
Processor Intel Q6600
Motherboard P5NT Deluxe mobo
Cooling 6x 120mm 220mm side fan CPU water cooling Zalman reserator XT
Memory 8x DDR2 OCZ gold
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Storage HDD 140 Gb Lacie Golden Disk 500 Gb internal
Display(s) 28" Hans G
Case Coolermaster Cosmos Sports
Audio Device(s) hmm...onboard built ...think ...
Power Supply thermaltake toughpower 1200w
Software vista basic x64
Benchmark Scores i fail at this...
I smell a thread dedicated to consols..sounds like fun , might i had that Weer contradicted himself? Dr pepper is valid on his point!

I only own a Wii (unfortunately). What a sad library. I don't know what I was expecting from it, but it sure has disappointed in almost every way. I think the best game on it is probably Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, but I already beat that one on Cube.

For my "big screen gaming", I decided to rig up an extra game PC to my 'ol 36" SDTV. It's a big tube there. I put most of my most powerful PC gaming hardware in it, including a 8800GTX, 4 GB RAM, 3.2 GHz Core 2, Audigy 2 on 5.1 output, 500GB HDD of games and a 360 controller lol. Since almost all console games I care about are ported to PC, I can play them on there and they run so much better and can be visually tweaked with antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. Get to use a KB/mouse or the 360 pad, whichever works best for the game. Load times almost disappear. I also noticed with the few I've played on 360 itself and was forced into a letterbox that the PC ports will run fullscreen 4:3. And the noisy 360 DVD-ROM is not part of the experience (I borrowed a friend's 360 for a year).

The ps3 uses a 7900gtx,and the xbox360 uses a custom ati gpu with unified shaders.

RSX is more like a 7900GT. It only has a 128-bit RAM bus that's clocked relatively low. Fortunately it only has to deal with 1280x720 and games are tailored for it specifically.

360 is unified and personally I think it's a lot more interesting than RSX, but it's still probably similar to something like half of a Radeon 3850/4670 from a performance perspective. And its shader core is much different than the ATI unified shader PC GPUs.

Neither PS3 or 360 has GPU performance anywhere near even a $100 PC GPU at this time. But because the games are designed for the machines and the hardware will probably never run games choppy because of this, who cares really. Visually they aren't really going to go anywhere technologically new though.

I think the biggest limitation is RAM, honestly. All the 360 games I've played stream off the disk like mad (so noisy) and can hardly keep up (textures popping in). You can tell they are stretching RAM to the limit. Means that texture resolution isn't going to go anywhere, among other things. You can see this in the ports to PC that have textures designed for ~256 MB RAM or so. Next consoles should have a few gigs of RAM and that'll make a big difference in visuals all by itself. RAM is so cheap right now that having 8 GB of DDR2-800 is only about $100 for a PC.

Last edited:
System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
Ofcourse the wii is going to outsell all other game platforms why because there not to aiming for a specific gamer ala hardcore gamer and are aiming for everyone not just the kids and old kids yeah i said it before but it makes sense unfortuently.