1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Far Cry 2 Demo Planned Says Ubisoft

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jul 12, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Clint Hocking, the creative director behind the upcoming Far Cry 2, has confirmed that there will be no demo released for the game. Developed by Ubisoft, future Far Cry 2 players won't be able to play a level or two to get the idea, before the full game is out. According to Hoking there's no easy way of making a Far Cry 2 demo, because of the open nature of the game that will leak almost 12 hours of gameplay from a possible demo. "One reason is, even if we were to give out what you played today - even if we put invisible walls around it and said, here's the demo, you can go anywhere you like inside these walls and play it how you want - that's potentially right there eight-to-ten hours of gameplay," said Hocking. "I don't know too many people who are willing to give away a 12-hour game for free", he continued. In related news, Clint Hocking also informed that Far Cry 2 is almost complete and it only needs a good testing before retailing.

Source: bit-tech.net

2. Selene

Thanks Received:
    I just cant buy a game any more with out a demo, i dont DL hacked games or any thing like that, i dont belive thats right for ppl to do, so with out a beta or demo I just skip it.

3. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I see it online now for $40 preorder. I liked Far Cry. I liked Crysis. I'll pay the $40 for Far Cry 2. Maybe not on launch day, but I am sure I will buy it. :)

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I'll just wait for the reviews. I wonder how many people will be like me? A lot of people still plays demos if they are unsure about a game. Without a demo they're not going to put down £30-40 for a game on release day, or even pre-order.

Stupid move from Ubisoft, I understand what they are saying, but a demo is a good thing, just restrict it more duh.

5. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    that kinda sucks if i liked it in the demo i would of pre-ordered it im just going to wait for reviews too now

6. wolf2009 Guest

thats just bs that guy is saying . it will hurt them .

7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'll just get a try before i buy version :p

I can see were he is coming from though.

8. Ryethe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Easy solution: 30 minute timer. You always start in the same location and you have 30 minutes to play until the timer lapses and the demo ends.

9. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Problem with demos is GRID and CRYSIS. TBH the demos were rubbish, and potential buyers decided NOT to buy the full game. I think I would have bought both, but after playing the demos, decided not to get either.

Demos are GREAT for consumer choice... but possible bad for business if a game doesnt meet the hype and expectations of the people demoing.

Strategically what is the better marketing method? Good PR and sponsored/controlled reviews, or free-in-the-market demos and uncontrolled reviews?

I know which one I prefer as a consumer, BUT I also know which one I prefer as a business owner. And it aint the same answer.

10. wolf2009 Guest

i thought GRID demo was good, y didn't u like it ?

11. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    as long as i hear its not a bad port to PC ill get it.

12. Baum

Thanks Received:
    he say's massive testing hope there are little bugs as games now a days are morre bugged than any thing before:)

but no demo for hardware testing? :wtf: won't buy that before some good reviews rise

13. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe they will do an "Invite Only" beta, like they did with Crysis....