1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No picture of post or OS boot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aceman.au, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    As the title says, my PC will display no picture until it has loaded into the OS. I can't see the bios/post and my PC has been crashing so I've had to guess when I had to press enter to skip the safe mode boot thing. Or just wait it out.

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    On both my Radeon HD 2600 XT and nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS, by default it only outputs initial video from one of the two DVI ports. Is it possible that changing which port you're using for your display might change this?

If I understand your post correctly you're saying you can't see the POST but it still boots into Windows and doesn't display anything until Windows boots (or begins to boot)?

Aceman.au says thanks.
  3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    your mother board probably recognizes your other 7970 as the default display,and when windows boots it dosent matter any more,try plugging your monitor into your other 7970.

Aceman.au says thanks.
  4. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok. I did move the graphics card down to the middle 2 slots due the CPU cooler being too large and blocking the top PCI-E slot (do I lose performance because of this?). I'll try that out and see if it works. I've plugged my monitors the top card which I assumed would've been the default.

Aquinus says thanks.
  5. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Once windows 7 starts loading my desktop, the picture shows.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: That too. It very well could be detecting the second video card as the primary one. I missed the 2x in your system specs. Whoops. :eek:

I plugged my displays into the top most card (first PCI-E slot on the motherboard.)

Aceman.au says thanks.
  7. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Only the 1st and 3rd slots on your motherboard are capable of x16 bandwith,but even if it runs at 8x you will only lose about 2% performance.

Aceman.au says thanks.
  8. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Problem fixed by switching to the bottom card which is my primary. Everything is normal! Hopefully this will fix my flash and crashing problems.

Thanks Jack1n

Aquinus says thanks.