• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA DLSS Source Code Leaked

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
You are paying for DLSS in silicon when you could have just had a faster GPU with more shaders in the first place.
On Turing at least RT+ Tensor cores combined account for at most 8-10% of die area, not exactly robbing most people of a bucketload extra performance that could have been CUDA cores. I'm all for improving graphics and adding innovative features instead of strictly more/better/faster of the same.
enjoying the artifact-free native resolution of DLSS-off
Native isn't perfection all the time either, far from it, and in fact often DLSS can improve on aspects of Native, especially when paired with meh TAA.

Use your graphics card however you'd like, naturally, but from where I'm sitting it's 8-10% die area put to great use.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Got'em xD

VBIOS and driver signer next? Is that too much to ask?
This is what I want. I want VBIOS modding to return.

I've checked the sources and indeed DLSS uses Tensor Cores.

You can probably run this logic on shaders but shaders already do shaders, so any additional load will slow down your game, therefore moving this logic from free to use tensor cores to shaders could result not in a performance gain but a performance loss.

Drivers source code is also there. It's a treasure trove of highly confidential info. NVIDIA might as well make DLSS open source (not necessarily under licenses like GPL but something proprietary e.g. like Epic or Crytek do with their engines).

I've downloaded the entire archive and I'm now repacking it because it was not optimally compressed. I expect it to come off at less than 8GB vs 18GB leaked by the hackers.
but maybe, someone can port it to used avx ? and make that avx512 useful

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Nvidia have burned away most, if not all of their goodwill from their consumer customers that put them on the map.

In the last decade Nvidia have fragmented APIs to lockout the competition as much as possible, made proprietary shit and charged silly money for it instead of contributing to the sector as a whole (SLI, G-Sync, PhysX, RTX, CUDA, GameWorks to name just a few), contributed as little as absolutely necessary to the opensource community, obfuscated driver features as an anticompetitive measure, plied game developers with black-box, Nvidia-optimised tools instead of contributing to existing tools that were in use for cross-platform development, and all of this is just the headline stuff in the consumer market only.

If you want to know how they've micro-segmented the pro and enterprise market with arbitrary driver limitations for basic stuff like virtual machines, compute, AI, I could rant for days. It's all a massive attempt to cash-grab and monopolise.
Ya, I remember way back when I was younger and dumber, I thought they were great (not sure why), my first AMD A64 S754 had an nvidia chipset, had issues, still got another one for S939, later I got a board with a ULi chipset, then Nvidia bought them out and I thought this should be good, probably get better driver support, etc. etc. Then Nvidia basically just shut them down, and all support. That was when I stopped giving Nvidia my money.........with the exception of a GT1030 not long ago since it was the only card I could get new in the $100 range.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
On Turing at least RT+ Tensor cores combined account for at most 8-10% of die area, not exactly robbing most people of a bucketload extra performance that could have been CUDA cores. I'm all for improving graphics and adding innovative features instead of strictly more/better/faster of the same.

Native isn't perfection all the time either, far from it, and in fact often DLSS can improve on aspects of Native, especially when paired with meh TAA.

Use your graphics card however you'd like, naturally, but from where I'm sitting it's 8-10% die area put to great use.

Some people just don't realize Turing's useful lifespan are extended greatly thanks to DLSS which is evolving as time pass. My 2070S Max-Q laptop still kicking ass in Dying Light 2 on an external 3440x1440p screen.

Well let hope some AMD engineers can look at the internal working of DLSS from the leaked source code and create a more competitive upscaler to DLSS.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
IP theft isn't something to celebrate.

The bigger problem that may arise are security vulnerabilities brought on by the release of the source code.

Security through obscurity is pointless anyway. No harm done, the only message here is Nvidia fix your shit proper.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I'm like 100% sure, nobody will use NV specific coding for anything. How would they use it if they don't have the hardware backing it up right?
So, most of the accusations are pointless about contaminating the code. Getting an idea of how to do things is more likely although as some developers showed, same effect or goal can be achieved in many different ways. I think in general, people and customers will benefit from that leak. It really doesnt change a thing even if the code somewhat proves they've been dishonest about the hardware etc. Wouldn't be the first time either and people still love them.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
The bigger problem that may arise are security vulnerabilities brought on by the release of the source code.
Good, bugs that would've remained hidden will get patched.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
I'm like 100% sure, nobody will use NV specific coding for anything. How would they use it if they don't have the hardware backing it up right?
So, most of the accusations are pointless about contaminating the code. Getting an idea of how to do things is more likely although as some developers showed, same effect or goal can be achieved in many different ways. I think in general, people and customers will benefit from that leak. It really doesnt change a thing even if the code somewhat proves they've been dishonest about the hardware etc. Wouldn't be the first time either and people still love them.

They apparently have verilog designs, if it gets released I wouldn't be surprised if we suddenly start seeing some 'home grown' Chinese GPU's.

ApexG

Meh... Who cares this actually makes life better in the long run for consumers.

I've downloaded the entire archive and I'm now repacking it because it was not optimally compressed. I expect it to come off at less than 8GB vs 18GB leaked by the hackers.

what about separating images and less-compressables such as PDFs from the actual code?

This is a what happens when a company is screwing with their customers for years, did you all forget FX series (that just mocked 3DFX), det. 44.03, FX5200, GT8400, bumpgate, and many other scams they pulled (not tried to) over us? Nothing will remain hidden!:love:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Well let hope some AMD engineers can look at the internal working of DLSS from the leaked source code and create a more competitive upscaler to DLSS.
Last I checked that's called IP theft.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Last I checked that's called IP theft.

I guess that's the job of the legal team to decide how much similar between 2 competing upscalers before it's considered IP theft :D, Intel XeSS operates very very similar to DLSS too

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Its terrible that the code was leaked but if this gives me open source drivers or unlocked VBios for my 3080 then let it rain, let it rain.

Linux users prefer
Nobody really cares about them.
Much as I dislike how locked down Nvidia keeps a lot of their features this is not something to be celebrated. I work in the software industry and this won't help any competitors - they all have to make sure that engineers don't get contaminated with source code they can't use as even just reading some of it or the overall approach can influence how they would approach a problem in an IP infringing way. Engineers who work on some projects where they can see code the wider business can't use are blacklisted from some projects for years so that no claims of IP theft can be made.

The community won't benefit from this as AMD and Intel engineers won't touch it, and any other groups who do will be sued into the ground if it looks like they've based their work on Nvidia code, even if they haven't, as they'd need to pay for a defense against lawsuits even if they're in the right.

Nvidia have spent money developing these technologies, and frustrating as it is that many are locked to the Nvidia platform it has spurred open competition - G-sync led to Freesync and VRR VISA spec, Nvidia Raytracing led to it being added to DX12 and AMD following suit, DLSS leading to FSR. Some of these may have happened anyway, but Nvidia may well have accelerated their release and pushed competitors to do more which is good for everyone.
Precisely.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
In some recent article(i've read so many about this hack-attack that i can't remember which) ,nVIDIA had informed their investors that a hacking attempt against them should be expected as a serious possibility.
Does anyone knows any more info about that ? (basically , if this info is accurate? )

Also have we concluded what exactly has happened ?
is it possible that only fractions of the source code had been leaked ,thus ,can this be a gamble-play from the hackers ,trying to profit through deceiving claims ?
(as i said in a past post i find it unthinkable that the hackers managed to overcome nVIDIA 's Morpheus security system https://developer.nvidia.com/morpheus-cybersecurity without anyone noticing.This system is created to detect anomalies inside a network , so still , my own belief is that these hackers have only claimed fractions of code here and there , and they are releasing deceiving statements to the press to add presure to nVIDIA )

EDIT : By the way , i just noticed this article about the same hackers claiming that they have 190GB data of Samsung's source code and that they have confidential information for Qualcomm : https://technews.pw/after-nvidia-lapsus-leak-190gb-of-alleged-samsung-data-source-code/

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Nobody really cares about them.
I mean way more than half the internet runs on on linux or some derivative, so it's kind of foolish to ignore them. The gaming market there is hardly dead as well, making stellar platform strides in recent years thanks to people and companies that decidedly do care about them.

I mean way more than half the internet runs on on linux or some derivative, so it's kind of foolish to ignore them. The gaming market there is hardly dead as well, making stellar platform strides in recent years thanks to people and companies that decidedly do care about them.
I will ignore them as long as their user base seems to emigrate straight from the tenth circle of hell. OS is okay I guess (not for the average user's desktop - imagine not having drive trimming and automounting on startup by default), user base is the opposite, and I never see it improving. People just get a mad ego boner whenever they switch to Linux and have to look down on anybody who dares to use Windows. It's like people can't switch to that OS without getting an ego surge, it's crazy. Why should I care about them when they don't care about anybody else who doesn't use their OS or uses a ""bad"" version of their OS (Ubuntu, God forbid you mention Canonical next to them)? Is it any surprise I'm so fed up with these people I start to not care about their OS as a whole and leave these smug comments?

After trying that OS for a month, yeah, never again. The only Linux related experiences I'll have will be with my Android phone and my Steam Deck, unless I decide to just put Windows on that thing and call it a day.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
not for the average user's desktop - imagine not having drive trimming and automounting on startup by default)
Depends a lot on the distro, but that certainly isn't the case with the major kde/gnome based things these days. But being an "alternative" Linux does often find itself behind the gaming tech curve or having to reimplement the gaming-tech wheel (they still don't have HDR support for example).

I think the elitist problem is far more widespread than the linux community though, spilling over into several tech communities... which is why I largely ignore it. Heck I see it here some days. Same response; I've just learned to filter it out I guess. I won't deny it's an issue though.

I think the elitist problem is far more widespread than the linux community though, spilling over into several tech communities...
Yeah, it's put me off this hobby several times but I always come back. It's indeed especially worse on the Linux side of things, and I wish they would just be more accepting so more people would actually switch. You don't berate the Windows user who chose to ditch their entire workflow and switch to Ubuntu for example just because it's Ubuntu, you encourage them and help them out. But I guess that's too much to ask.