1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia eating my ram?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by a_ump, Jul 3, 2009.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i was tryin to set my overclocks in place for my 7800GTX before i tried Requiem:bloodmare, but it would revert to its stock clocks after i set them(rivatuner and GPUTool). so i went into nvidia control just to look around and see if i saw something out of the ordinary. Well i did but it didn't have to do with clocks. I went to control panel>help>system information and saw
    [​IMG]

now, the shared memory would kinda explain why i've only been able to recognize 2.8gb/4gb. Is there any way to reduce or remove this completely? as i def don't lile 1.1gb of my system allocated for my dedicated graphic card. I mean who in the hell decided to allocate that much system memory? nvidia's drivers or something? it's not bios cause well this isn't onboard graphics.

2. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i think that isnt correct if you read the task manager is might say differently

this was discussed a few day ago maybe even yesterday let me look for the thread

3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    that oc isnt giving u much of a boost to make it worthwhile, ur just shortnening the life of a card already past its prime :p

and regarding ur question, the only solution that doesnt risk ruining ur computer is to get a card with enough ram onboard. or downgrading to XP. windows dynamically sets the shared memory based on whats going on. setting it specifically to a number u risk messing stuff up.

a_ump says thanks.
  4. troyrae360

troyrae360 New Member

Thanks Received:
    odd, i didnt even thing that card could do DX10

5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    it doesnt do :wtf:

6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i cant find the thread but mussles knows this stuff, he was the main man in that thread
    it was about graphics cards and memory and another one about 64bit and memory

7. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    it's showing that because of your AGP Aperture Size. most mb, you can adjust this. my mb won't let me. mine shows 2815mb lol

mrhuggles says thanks.
  8. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea i've read a lot on the whole total system memory, graphic card, other devices taking from the 4gb total 32-bit can handle. and yep lol most of it was read from mussels' posts. Dam, and yea i just got a job at burger king(17yrs old) so GTX 275 FTW is what my first paycheck is going to. and yea nvm bout the overlock, i just played requiem some and i run it no prob max. not very graphical except for your character and other players. boo for vista allocating my ram:(

hey we're in the same boat, but i got 2813mb, dam u have 2mb more than me :( lol

9. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    You mean this http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=91260 right? This thread is sticky to the GPU subforum

KieranD says thanks.
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  11. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    if you do any gaming, the size shouldn't matter. if you do encoding, yeah that would make a little difference. that's what hurts me the most. encode first targets cpu and ram. most programs now use the gpu, which my does. but with taking almost half of my ram, it really sucks. only options are buy new mb or shit load of ram lmao

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its using system memory when it runs out of video memory. some programs just read the total available, instead of the physical graphics ram.

The reason your system cant see all your ram is purely because you have a 32 bit OS.

KieranD says thanks.
  13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    yup i knew mussels would know for sure, hope he solves your problem mate

btw it says direct x 10 because he is using vista

14. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea, i still think that 32-bit memory thing is a lil wack as it's never the same for every computer. I think it all depends on which motherboard you have as that seems to make the difference.