• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE and Custom Design Unboxing

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER is here. We can only show but not tell for now. Watch us unbox the NVIDIA Founders Edition, and a small collection of custom-design cards. You'll have to wait just a little longer for our full reviews.

Show full review

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
lol those speed lines on the packaging make the whole unboxing feel very manga-like =P

So the only accessory you get now is the adapter that's gonna melt your power connector, kinda sad.
I think only cards that had that were ones that were high end ones where the cable wasn't seated properly. this card is only little over 200watt mark so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think only cards that had that were ones that were high end ones where the cable wasn't seated properly. this card is only little over 200watt mark so that shouldn't be a problem.
I've been following news about it and apparently the issue is much more widespread than initially thought and not limited to user error like cables not being seated properly, it's more common on high wattage cards like the 4090 but we're still not 100% sure how much lower end cards will be affected.
In general I'm not sold on this new connector.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
$475. With old 8-pin power connectors, or no deal. Get bent nGreedia.

System Name Gungnir
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X @1.25v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B650M-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE Black
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 CL36 5600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6800XT Merc 319 @1.1v @2600MHz clock @2140MHz vram freq. (surprisingly stable)
Storage 1TB WD SN770 | 2TB WD Blue SATA III SSD
Display(s) 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Lian Li Lancool 215
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80Ohm
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Keychron V6
VR HMD The bane of my existence (Oculus Quest 2)
As much as I may dislike what nvidia has done so far this gen, I cannot deny that visually these gpus are class. And these are among the best designs they've made, love the all black design.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
$475. With old 8-pin power connectors, or no deal. Get bent nGreedia.
This card will never get near the power draw required to melt the connector if plugged incorrectly. That's why you don't see anything below 4090 with melted connectors.

Low quality post by Dawora
Low quality post by progste
"I don't like what you said so I'm gonna accuse you of trolling".
No, they're right, your comment came off like a troll. At the very least overly negative. Not many of us like that connector, but that was your only comment? Nothing about the cards W1zzard unboxed?

I liked the Palit Jetstream model. Looks stylish and seems like cooling will be no issues. The PNY look good too, as usual for them. Not a fan of the FE though. Looking forward to the in depth reviews.

Last edited:
No, they're right, your comment came off like a troll. At the very least overly negative. Not many of us like that connector, but that was your only comment? Nothing about the cards W1zzard unboxed?

I liked the Palit Jetstream model. Looks stylish and seems like cooling will be no issues. The PNY look good to, as usual for them. Not a fan of the FE though. Looking forward to the in depth reviews.
This is the second time you accuse me of trolling, you should really mature a bit and understand that not everyone who disagrees or has a negative opinion is trolling.
Also I did comment the unboxing, said the package looks cool. The connector comment was also linked to the unboxing.
Critisizing 12VHPWR is not even a dig at Nvidia in particular since intel designed the spec (and clearly got something wrong).

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
At the very least overly negative.
That doesn't justify attacking the fellow TPU member.

This connector has nothing to do with being appropriate in the most mass segment GPUs as of now. Alright, pack it onto some specific devices and see how it goes but forcing this nonsense on sub 700 dollar GPUs is cancer. Whoever defending this decision is anti-customer and a troll themself.

Palit JetStream GPU looks overbuilt. I'd buy this one if I was in the market for a 400+ USD GPU.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm disappointed that Nvidia is forcing the stupid 12V HPWR connector on partner models. It's a provably worse connector than 8-pins and utterly pointless on cards pulling less than 375W. Nvidia are going to die on that hill but my money is on the 12V HPWR connector being retired, heavily revised, or replaced in a generation or two. Der8auer's video on the issue is interesting - and don't forget he's involved with making and selling 12V HPWR cables. He has no faith in them and the math backs up the empirical data we're seeing with melted connectors.

As much as I may dislike what nvidia has done so far this gen, I cannot deny that visually these gpus are class. And these are among the best designs they've made, love the all black design.
It's simple really; if you don't have childish rainbow lights and jaunty plastic nonsense sprouting pointlessly off the cooler in random directions, it looks nice.

Last edited:

This connector has nothing to do with being appropriate in the most mass segment GPUs as of now. Alright, pack it onto some specific devices and see how it goes but forcing this nonsense on sub 700 dollar GPUs is cancer. Whoever defending this decision is anti-customer and a troll themself.

Palit JetStream GPU looks overbuilt. I'd buy this one if I was in the market for a 400+ USD GPU.
Context is important. You seem to be missing some. What I'm tired of is the overnegative, fanboy-like "opinions" being casually posted without being addressed. And I'm not alone. Someone correctly called them out for their nonsense and I commented on that. Such is not an attack. If I ever "attack" someone in a comment, you'll have absolutely no doubt of it.

It's simple really; if you don't have childish rainbow lights and jaunty plastic nonsense sprouting pointlessly off the cooler in random directions, it looks nice.
Exactly. Sometimes less is more.

Context is important. You seem to be missing some. What I'm tired of is the overnegative, fanboy-like "opinions" being casually posted without being addressed. And I'm not alone. Someone correctly called them out for their nonsense and I commented on that.
If you think that is overly negative you live in a bubble.
Nothing I said was fanboy-like, if anything being so defensive of a controversial design choice is the mark of a fanboy.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
This is the second time you accuse me of trolling, you should really mature a bit and understand that not everyone who disagrees or has a negative opinion is trolling.
Also I did comment the unboxing, said the package looks cool. The connector comment was also linked to the unboxing.
Critisizing 12VHPWR is not even a dig at Nvidia in particular since intel designed the spec (and clearly got something wrong).

This is the new industry standard connector proposed, designed, and adopted by the PCI-SIG and its members. AMD, Intel AND Nvidia are members of this board, so there's no shifting the blame towards other companies to protect either of them. They have all agreed upon it, pitched it to power supply manufacturers and built an entire spec around it. It will not go away. Nvidia simply implemented it first, AMD will do it in the next generation, if anything, attempting to capitalize on the widely publicized failures of the connector that the 4090 exposed they decided to market that their cards had the old connectors instead - truth being, the design had long been finalized at that point. There's no use kidding yourselves.

There's a trend here that has been going unchecked for some time which is senseless hatred of Nvidia and it needs to stop. It's not productive. It's not helpful. It does nothing but show bitterness, and bitterness that I argue is misdirected: instead, put the effort towards demanding AMD release something decent, they haven't released something that was truly ahead of the competition in performance, features, software, power consumption, thermals... practically everything since the HD 5870.

They don't need to be protected. They need to be harshly criticized and viciously outed. Scream in demand of better products. Better support. Better maintenance. Better prices. Better everything. It's a multi-billion-dollar corporation, not the small town mom n' pop vendor. This image that AMD is an underdog under constant threat from much larger, anti-competitive companies such as Intel and Nvidia has to go. It's not founded in reality any longer.

Right now, AMD discontinues less than 5 year old GPUs and no one seems to care. Nvidia supports them for 10 years, and they're evil and greedy. Just... stop this nonsense already.

If you think that is overly negative you live in a bubble.
Nothing I said was fanboy-like, if anything being so defensive of a controversial design choice is the mark of a fanboy.
I'm NOT a fan of the new connector. Not defending it either. Once again, context is important.

It will not go away.
Not true. It's being re-engineered as we discuss this. It is not popular and many people are actively avoiding it. Manufacturers know this and are demanding better.

I'm NOT a fan of the new connector. Not defending it either. Once again, context is important.
You are defending them if you think my harmless criticism was overly aggressive trolling.
This is the new industry standard connector proposed, designed, and adopted by the PCI-SIG and its members. AMD, Intel AND Nvidia are members of this board, so there's no shifting the blame towards other companies to protect either of them. They have all agreed upon it, pitched it to power supply manufacturers and built an entire spec around it. It will not go away. Nvidia simply implemented it first, AMD will do it in the next generation, if anything, attempting to capitalize on the widely publicized failures of the connector that the 4090 exposed they decided to market that their cards had the old connectors instead - truth being, the design had long been finalized at that point. There's no use kidding yourselves.

There's a trend here that has been going unchecked for some time which is senseless hatred of Nvidia and it needs to stop. It's not productive. It's not helpful. It does nothing but show bitterness, and bitterness that I argue is misdirected: instead, put the effort towards demanding AMD release something decent, they haven't released something that was truly ahead of the competition in performance, features, software, power consumption, thermals... practically everything since the HD 5870.

They don't need to be protected. They need to be harshly criticized and viciously outed. Scream in demand of better products. Better support. Better maintenance. Better prices. Better everything. It's a multi-billion-dollar corporation, not the small town mom n' pop vendor. This image that AMD is an underdog under constant threat from much larger, anti-competitive companies such as Intel and Nvidia has to go. It's not founded in reality any longer.

Right now, AMD discontinues less than 5 year old GPUs and no one seems to care. Nvidia supports them for 10 years, and they're evil and greedy. Just... stop this nonsense already.
Why are you turning this into an AMD vs Nvidia thing when I didn't bring it up at all? The connector is the issue and it's not senseless hatred to point it out, I'm not interested in your fanboy wars, over the years I've used hardware by intel, AMD and Nvidia.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I wonder why Nvidia has opted to rotate the 12VHPWR connector on the FE instead of using the orientation from the 30-series.
1704799995244.jpeg

Wouldn't it help with providing more stable connection when routed along the side of the card?

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
You are defending them if you think my harmless criticism was overly aggressive trolling.

Why are you turning this into an AMD vs Nvidia thing when I didn't bring it up at all? The connector is the issue and it's not senseless hatred to point it out, I'm not interested in your fanboy wars, over the years I've used hardware by intel, AMD and Nvidia.

Ultimately this is what it's about. I've read the thread, the "nGreedias", "nGreedia's crap connector", "competition has decent connectors", etc. already started flying.

This has been on my mind for a very long time, I genuinely think it's time for some reassessment of whether such mindset is truly worth it... don't take it personally, it was never intended to be aimed at you in particular.

Not true. It's being re-engineered as we discuss this. It is not popular and many people are actively avoiding it. Manufacturers know this and are demanding better.

I mean, it's being updated (as it should, it has obvious flaws), but ultimately we're going to have an improved variant of this down the road. That's why I say it won't go away.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600CL16
Video Card(s) 3060Ti FE 0.9v
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ProArt PA278QV
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1850DB
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 650W
Mouse A4Tech X-748K
Keyboard Logitech K300
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
The biggest crime here is that the custom cards are also 12pin.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
Did Nvidia changed the 12VHPWR connector to the the new 12V-2x6 in the SUPER series ?

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
instead, put the effort towards demanding AMD release something decent
I posted much more negative comments about AMD than I did about nVidia last year and it seems 2024 will bring us even more reasons to impose exrements upon AMD. I don't know whom they are trying to kid. How they beat world records of nonsensicality in each GPU (RX 6500 XT and THE WHOLE RDNA3 line-up, hello!) is beyond me. Even 4060 Ti makes more sense.

No. Me calling you out on the tone of your comment and your obvious vocabulary choice is NOT the same. While I agree with your opinion of the connector, the other user calling you out on your negativity is what I was commenting on.

There is a difference between expressions of meritful, meaningful outrage and pointless whining. Your expression came off as the latter, not the former.

I mean, it's being updated (as it should, it has obvious flaws), but ultimately we're going to have an improved variant of this down the road. That's why I say it won't go away.
Right. The connector in it's current form is on it's way out. A number of NVidia AIB partners have already switched back to the tried and trusted PCIe power connectors. I would like to see much more of that until the replacement(which will hopefully be much better in design and practice) hits in the near future.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate