• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVidia, What gives? Seriously?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note to mods: This is going to be a rant which calls out NVidia on their latest bullshit and I'm not going to hold my punches. I'll understand if you wish to delete this thread(because of the potential drama it might cause), but I ask that you consider leaving up and closing it to everyone expect me(so I can bump it to keep it front and center for NVidia to see) and yourselves to keep things as civilized as possible given the situation. We all know NVidia personnel lurk these forums and they need to see this. That said, here we go....

NVidia, you've crossed a line. What line you ask? Please review;

I echo Jay's sentiments 100 fraking %.

I also agree with Linus on most points.

These are but two of the examples that are out there to be considered.

While you are not the first company to engage in such behaviors, you are one of the biggest and at this point in time you should know better. What you've done is no better than despicable. It is completely unprofessional, unethical and socially irresponsible. Let me highlight one of those points, it is lacking all ethical considerations. It is foul. It is unacceptable on EVERY LEVEL!

Don't try to excuse it all away by saying "Hey, its just business.". Such is a morally and ethically PATHETIC purview. It's time for you and the rest of the business world to kick it up a few notches and grow the fuck up!

Act with dignity & grace!

Treat everyone with equality & respect!

Be responsible in everything you do!

Accept that not everyone is going to kiss your grimy ass. And when someone offers critique, you say "Thank You!" and learn what you can from it instead of acting like overgrown children saying "Don't want to sing our praises? No soup for you!".

Grow up and get a damn clue! Change your ways before we the people change it for you! And we WILL change you!

/rant

EDIT;
Before anyone calls me one of the AMD fanboy types, WRONG! I love the new RTX 3000 cards because the RTRT performance is next level awesome. I will defend or critize NVidia, AMD, Intel or anyone else based on merit and factual evidence. My rage in this moment is about this situation and is solely based on this action.

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I saw this on techspot this morning and Nvidia ended up walking back on their letter (threat) but it's basically Nvidia tossing a hissy fit and screaming "ray tracing is important damnit and you need to start drinking and passing out the kool-aid".

Nvidia ended up walking back on their letter (threat)
Yeah, just saw that. They still need to see this. They only backpedaled because of outrage. They need to see and understand that a fundamental change needs to happen within the NVidia ranks. Mr Leather Jacket himself needs to pull NVidias head out of the sand & out their ass and behave better.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
What happens sorry im a bit out of the mix
this just says what NVIDIA did was BAD nothing else

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
They want reviewers to push RTX/Ray Tracing benchmarks over the older, and still current Rasterization benchmarks.

Edit: The reasoning was the reviewers are being handed out free cards from the company for review. It would seem there was an expected way Nvidia wanted the reviews done.

Last edited:
this just says what NVIDIA did was BAD nothing else
The short story, a Youtube channel called HardwareUnboxed(run by a host named Steve) received an email from an NVidia rep fairly high up in the chain of command effectively saying & detailing that his channel would not be receiving any review samples in future because Steve did not present the GPU's/features in the light NVidia wished for. Thus the outrage ensued...

Whether or not anyone agrees with HWUB/Steve's perspectives and opinions is irrelevant at this point. NVidia crossed the line here and it's not the first time they have crossed such a line.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The short story, a Youtube channel called HardwareUnboxed(run by a host named Steve) received an email from an NVidia rep fairly high up in the chain of command effectively saying & detailing that his channel would not be receiving any review samples in future because Steve did not present the GPU's/features in the light NVidia wished for. Thus the outrage ensued...

Whether or not anyone agrees with HWUB/Steve's perspectives and opinions is irrelevant at this point. NVidia crossed the line here and it's not the first time they have crossed such a line.
Tbh, when you review a product, you should strive to cover every aspect of it.

Nvidia has been burnt on this before, anyone remembers SoundStorm?

Case fancier than yours
Yeah, just saw that. They still need see this. They only backpedaled because of outrage. They need to see and understand that a fundamental change needs to happen within the NVidia ranks. Mr Leather Jacket himself needs to pull NVidias head out of the sand & out their ass and behave better.
I worked in Marketing and Advertising for over a decade. Did Nvidia go too far? Absolutely. Should we be shocked this happened? Absolutely not. I'm sure @W1zzard and his review team can fill pages with stories of brands going ballistic because they didn't agree with TPUs results, testing procedure, thumbs up and down, the other competition in the review, etc etc. Heck I can fill you in stories of me using ad dollars to get mentions and reviews on much larger media platforms for products they normally would not touch.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I pointed out many times in the past how companies directly or indirectly manipulate reviewers by inspiring fear into them that they're not going to get the hardware the next time around. Ever wondered why most reviews seem rather milktoast even when the product is obviously terrible ? This is why.

Hardware unboxed could have not accepted their "apology" and told them that it's over, no more Nvidia coverage. But they didn't, because that's still their lifeline after all, in other words the pressure to put out favorable reviews still remains. So nothing really happened as far as I can say.

Case fancier than yours
Really? I literally work in this industry and am appalled by this. Granted, I understand we do not live in a perfect world, but this is the year 2020, not 1980. Behavior like this is not acceptable. It is toxic and destructive. It must not be tolerated.
You and everyone else has every right to be appalled and I'm by no means stating you should let it go. I was merely stating I'm not shocked it happened and I doubt it was the first (or even second) time Nvidia has sent out a letter like it and they are hardly the first company to do so.

You and everyone else has every right to be appalled and I'm by no means stating you should let it go. I was merely stating I'm not shocked it happened and I doubt it was the first (or even second) time Nvidia has sent out a letter like it and they are hardly the first company to do so.
Sorry, I meant no offense to you personally. I'm fully aware that this is not their first offense. This one strikes a nerve.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Meh.......happens all the time, in every industry. You don't give product a review in a positive way, you do get anymore to review. That's the way it goes. There are plenty of places the will provide what a company wants to hear.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I happen to agree with Jay that Nvidia needs to get it’s Posterior Cranial Induction fixed. They are completely out of touch.

The vast majority of gamers are not using RTX or its associated technologies. Most are playing games in rasterization mode because of either the the level of hardware needed to get the frames needed at an acceptable level, or because the quality level of RTX is just not there yet. Many people want quality images, but they don’t want a slideshow to achieve it. That standard can still be attained through rasterization. Nvidia doesn’t understand or refuses to understand that most people cannot afford their price for true entry into the RT world.

To threaten product samples because a review doesn’t say what you want it to say? Unethical to the core. If you just want a PR piece, do it yourself. If you want to have your product truthfully looked at, then send it out for reviews. You cannot have it both ways.

Last edited:
System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
When you make a deal with the Devil...

Meh.......happens all the time, in every industry. You don't give product a review in a positive way, you do get anymore to review. That's the way it goes. There are plenty of places the will provide what a company wants to hear.
I know you're right to some level, but that just isn't how a free market and free press works well. Things work best when they are done transparently and on the level.

Reactions: Rei
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Nvidia's backpedaling reads like "we are sorry we couldn't get away with this, we'll try harder next time"

When you make a deal with the Devil...
As pissed as I am about this, I would not call NVidia "the Devil". This situation is and will always be foul and wrong and it needs to be a very painfully and embarrassing mistake for them to learn from.

Nvidia's backpedaling reads like "we are sorry we couldn't get away with this, we'll try harder next time"
Yeah, I'll go along with that!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rei
Around five years ago there was a similar thing with Intel. Intel were the main player in the game and so getting sponsored by Intel was a huge deal. Reviewers were petrified about giving Intel negative press just in case they got kicked off the gravy train. Lots of boot licking and ass kissing going on in those days. Luckily that was eventually squashed when AMD made their Ryzen comeback.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I happen to agree with Jay that Nvidia needs to get it’s Posterior Cranial Induction fixed. They are completely out of touch.

The vast majority of gamers are not using RTX or its associated technologies. Most are playing games in rasterization mode because of either the the level of hardware needed to get the frames needed at an acceptable level, or because the quality level of RTX is just not there yet. Many people want quality images, but they don’t want a slideshow to achieve it. That standard can still be attained through rasterization. Nvidia doesn’t understand or refuses to understand that most people cannot afford their price for true entry into the RT world.

To threaten product samples because a reviewdoesn’t say what you want it to say? Unethical to the core. If you just want a PR piece, do it yourself. If you want to have your product truthfully looked at, then send it out for reviews. You cannot have it both ways.

I agree with this bit (in bold) so damn much it hurts. I couldn't have said it better. I first read about this situation last night while browsing Techspot, whom Hardware Unboxed is affiliated with. HUB doesn't have the huge subscriber numbers that Jay or Linus, or GN have, but Steve -- HUB Steve, not GN Steve -- is damn good at what he does, which is provide in-depth and honest reviews. Now, granted, they don't go as deep as GN does, but for me, as a person who enjoys hardware but doesn't know its intricacies (like a lot of you here) that's OK. HUB reviews things in such a way that I can understand and therefore truly know if that CPU, GPU or mobo is "right" for me.

As for Nvidia. Nobody ASKED them to implement RT into their cards. Or maybe they did, I don't know. But to me, this whole shitshow seems like a case of being butthurt because a reviewer didn't heap tons of praise upon a feature -- Ray Tracing -- that, for all intents and purposes, is still largely useless to the majority of PC gamers at this point. Because I tell you what, I couldn't give two wet shits about RT. This goes for AMD too. Better shadows and lighting and all that crap isn't a game-changer for me. Now, DLSS on the other hand, is truly interesting to me. But therein lies another problem -- only the RTX cards support it, meaning people like me who have GTX cards can't begin to take advantage of it. That's gotta change.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Paid bias isn't a new thing
Nothing written anywhere nvidia/.... has to give out samples to anyone
People will still buy items no matter what a reviewers state think 20 series proves it they were dying all over the place after release and people still bought them :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Have to say it - It goes in the way that if you don't give a glowing review of the hardware you don't get anymore free stuff or just stuff in general.
Negative reviews will make a potential customer look the other way and Nvidia ain't having that affecting the bottom line. Reviewers are essentially a loose part of their PR/Marketing dept and this is just pressuring the reviewers to sing the praises of Nvidia instead of the cold hard truth.

The E-mail was little more than a veiled threat to reviewers to either play ball or else and I believe many, if not the majority of reviewers will say "Else" in response to this. From JCT's vid I'm getting the feeling that's what's about to happen anyway, good product or not.

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
Nvidia is probably one of the most popular video card makers in the world they usally have pretty high quality stuff. It just so happens it is nvidia that is inside the nintendo switch and switch lite. I don't know what the big deal is here or what Nvidia did wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.