1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OC iMac ( 2010 ) Radeon 5750M to Radeon 6870M

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jelle Mees, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you don't want to read everything, I marked all the important information in green. So basicly that is all you need to get the final result.

Step 1: Simple overclocking

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5750, wich is used in the previous generation iMac ( 2010 ) is not a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5750 in reality.

Have a look at the official specifications:
    Pipelines 400 - unified
    Core Speed 550 MHz
    Shader Speed 550 MHz
    Memory Speed 1600 MHz
    Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
    Memory Type GDDR5
    Max. Amount of Memory 1024 MB

Now let's have a look at the real specifications of the GPU in my iMac:
    Pipelines 800 - unified
    Core Speed 625 MHz
    Shader Speed 625 MHz
    Memory Speed 2000 MHz
    Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
    Memory Type GDDR5

For those of you who have doubts, this is what GPU-Z shows:

[​IMG]

Now I know what some of you might think. You think that the software misreads the specs of the card. And indeed that's possible.
    But wait and read further and I will proove that the specifications are correct.

Now let's search for a mobile GPU with simular official specifications.
    You don't have to put to much effort in it, it's the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850M.
    So the GPU, advertised by Apple as the 5750M is actually the 5850M.
    Why? We'll never know. But that's not important. Continue reading...

Now, I don't know if you've taken a look at the official ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870M, but if not:
    Pipelines 800 - unified
    Core Speed 700 MHz
    Shader Speed 700 MHz
    Memory Speed 1000 MHz
    Memory Bus Width 128 Bit
    Memory Type GDDR5

Still with me? The 5870M is nothing more then a slightly higher clocked 5850M. So all that is required is a small, free, tool called "MSI Afterburner" wich you can use to overclock the 5850M ( fake 5750 ) to the 5870M.
    It requires no skill, no voltmodding, etc... And it has a usefull option "Apply Overclocking at system startup".

What's so cool about it? Well, since the 6870M is nothing more then an underclocked 5870M ( beleave it or not, the 5870M > 6870M ), you just upgraded your card for free from an ATI 5750M to an ATI 6870M!

That's not all, this GPU can easely get overclocked to 725Mhz/1075Mhz, wich results in a card that performs much better then the ATI 6870M/5870M.

Now, in order to test the actual performance increase, I ran FurMark and 3DMark11 at 2560x1440 to see how much increase it would have on such an high resolution. Gaming on a lower resolution is perfectly possible, but would result in a more blurry view.

[​IMG]

In 3DMark11, my score on 2560x1440 went up from 923 to 1033, in other words, the end-result was 11.92% higher.
    In Furmark, again on resulution 2560x1440, the score went up from 514 to 583. In other words, 13.42% performance increase.

For those of you who want to know the performance score if you want to compare your system performance:

[​IMG]

Step 2: Get rid off the Bootcamp driver, and install the latest one!

Apple and Windows Drivers, it just don't matches. AMD sells many more GPU's thanks to Apple, but when it comes to iMac driver support, it's seems that it's not that important for AMD. You've probably noticed by know that by default, you get the ATI 10.4 driver. When you try to update, the software will search for an update, mention that 11.5 is available, download it and install it. Then, when you go check, it's still the same 10.4 driver. So basicly, iMac users are stuck when it comes to upgrading their driver.

Follow these simple steps:

1. Uninstall the current ATI driver completely and reboot your iMac.
    2. Download the following driver and reboot your iMac: 64bit - 32bit

This small driver update from 10.4 to 11.5 will add the following improvements:
    - GPU acceleration of H.264 video content using Adobe Flash Player 10.1 ( or higher )
    - Video De-blocking support ( Reduces blocking artifacts seen in low-bit rate video during playback )
    - Mosquito noise reduction ( Reduces mosquito noise seen in highly compressed progressive video, during playback )
    - Official support for OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3
    - Support for OpenGL 4.1
    - OpenGL ES 2.0 support
    - Enhanced Pull-down detection ( The Pull-down detection algorithm has been enhanced for higher visual quality on certain types of video content )
    - ATI Radeon GPU acceleration of VLC 1.1.1 ( or higher ) Media Player
    - Video accleration for HD WMV video content
    - Enahnced Dynamic Contrast video controls
    - Enhanced Video Quality default options
    - Catalyst AI Texture Filtering updates
    - Tessellation Controls
    - Morphological Anti-Aliasing support
    - Stereo 3D gaming support
    - Performance increase in 3DMark11/Vantage and many games!
    - A lot more Catalyst™ Application Profiles
    - Many bugfixes/resolved stability issues and enhancements for Windows 7!
    - And a lote more I probably forgot to mention...

Now let's open GPU-Z again:

[​IMG]

Well well well... Our ATI Radeon 5750 magicly becomes the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850"!

And for the fun of it, let's run those benchmarks again. In case you have forgotton, the original scores were "923" in 3DMark11, and "514" in Furmark, both tested on resolution 2560x1440.

[​IMG]

3DMark11 => 1074! ( = 15,98% increase! )
    Furmark => 656! ( = 27.62% increase! )

For those of you who want to know the performance score if you want to compare your system performance:

[​IMG]

And offcourse, what's really important is the gaming performance. In UT3 the performance boost wasn't very high, but it's an old game and ATI does not add performance inhancements anymore.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    /facepalm
  3. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    If you bought an iMac in the first place, you probably don't have much interest in gaming and you can build a pretty nice PC with the €1,150 cost of the cheapest 21.5" iMac.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Might have just been a typo on Apple's part, we all know how stingy Jobs is. :laugh:

I've noticed that you go around threads posting useless crap like this all the time. Dare I ask why?
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Has it occurred to you that it's possible that gpu-z just reads it incorrectly?
  6. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    I'm just going to second this. I doubt Apple would give you a better video card than the one it advertised. He should also really keep the M on the video cards, indicating that it's the mobile version, that confuzzled me for a while. :ohwell:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  7. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not just GPU-Z, I installed many OC apps and all of them show the same frequencies, same voltages, etc...
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    It just reads that stuff from drivers. If one misreads, they all do.

Besides, it's not the clocks and voltages that are important. Many vendors tweak those to be non-reference, it's the shader count that I have reservations about.

Are you using the Boot Camp supplied drivers? Have you tried using updated official ATI drivers instead?
  9. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    So whats the point of this thread?
  10. Nitroin

Nitroin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why don't you test with performance preset in 3Dmark11 (if a remember well in 1280x720, isn't it)?

So the number can judge peremptorily your iMac's vga.
    And we can all do some comparison also...
  11. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shader count is 800 and both on BootCamp as on the official ATI drivers. I installed the official ones when I noticed that the specs weren't correct.

I will run the test at 1280x720 this evening and share the results.
  12. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ran the test as requested ;)

Attached Files:

13. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Who cares what vga ur overpriced mac with an extremely over-rated and expensive wannabe windows os has.

Unless you can open it and check and see what card you have, then we wont know if its just a driver snaffu, an OC'd card do to driver snaffu, or if they happened to change their production line without telling you.

either way, why are u complaining about having a faster card when my system thats half the price of urs still poops on it.. :D
  14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    why are you all shitting on jelles? he is pointing out something he discovered. if you cant offer anything constructive or have nothing interesting to say then stay out of this thread. oh, and the next person who comments on his 'overpriced computer' will get 5 points.
  15. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grow up dude. I still use Windows on my Mac. I didn't pay the full price for the system. I only bought it for it's design, silence, power-usage, etc... It also allows me to experience the Mac OS because it could come in handy for future jobs. If you want my honest opinion. When it comes to tablets, I prefer iOS, when it comes to mobile phones, I look at Android as equal to iOS and when it comes to desktop PC's, I prefer Windows over Mac OS. Unlike you, I'm not a fanboy, and not a hater.
    Wrigleyvillain and LordJummy say thanks.
  16. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yep that's it in a nut shell. I try to stay out of the Mac threads cause the average moronic comment makes me feel like I'm at [H] and I get pissed off.

Thanks for sharing your findings.
  17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Those are definitely the results for 800 spus.

But I found a flaw in your idea. Apple never advertized it as a mobile 5750. If you look they advertised it as a standard 5750, which does have 800spus. So, you got exactly what you paid for. I don't know why Apple did it that way, and now that I have thought on it, I remember wondering why the gfx cards for those models weren't listed as mobile cards. Now we know.
  18. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    I'd just like to know if he dropped the M on the video card(s)' names on purpose. It's still confusing me D: It's like he's comparing mobile and desktop versions which are vastly different. I'm sure many of us here can assure you that the 5750 is nowhere near the 5850, let alone the 5870. If you're referring to the 5850M and the 5870M, that would be another story. Kindly clear that up because you jump from both the desktop and mobile versions frequently :)

Also, a 6870 =/= a underclocked 5870. Surely it can't be "underclocked" if its clocks are higher yet performs "worse" ;)

On another note, GPU-Z's readings are correct according to gpureview if you set the clocks down to 625/2000 for the 5750.
  19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well, he made a mistake. Apple never called it a 5750M, just a plain 5750. Taking that into account, his post basically says 5750 (non M) = 5870M.
  20. Nitroin

Nitroin New Member

Thanks Received:
    With my Acer 5551g (~500€) with an 5650M (400 shaders) vga I can get 1127 in Graphics Score so yours is definitely a 800 shaders card, without any doubt!

Nice to know! In this way the iMac seems to me a little little bit less overprice than I previously suppose.
  21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Even if it had only 400 shaders, it still isn't over priced. It's the only all-in-one that carries IPS screens. Just a 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitor without a computer starts at $800, and goes up from there.
  22. Nitroin

Nitroin New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's your point.
    In my opinion IS overpriced.
    Because even considering a 800$ S-IPS panel an i5+4GB+6770M still don't worth 899$.

The iMac has many other qualities. Surely not the price competitiveness.

/OT
  23. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees New Member

Thanks Received:
    Big news everybody. Now I am 100% certain that it's the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850!

Today I wanted to update my driver. It sad "Current Version 10.5" and "11.5 is available". I downloaded the update and I always use the "advanced installation" option so that I can select wich parts of the software I want to upgrade.
    What was very strange is that is sad that all the parts were up-to-date. So basicly, the software allows to update, but it wasn't able to update anything.

So I tried another method. I uninstalled the driver completely, rebooted, downloaded the desktop driver, installed it, and again, it didn't update anything. It didn't eaven install the Catalyst control center!

That's when I downloaded the Mobile 11.5 driver. Now, it DID install everything as requested, and the 11.5 driver is now fully operational on my iMac. And now look what GPU-Z shows:

[​IMG]

Now you can clearly see that this entire thread is no BS. You can actually upgrade your so called "5750M" to a "5850M" and with a small overclock get 6870M/5870M performance!

Now, without the removal of the bootcamp driver, and the installation of the 11.5 driver, you are missing out on the following performance inhancements since 10.4:
    - GPU acceleration of H.264 video content using Adobe Flash Player 10.1 ( or higher )
    - Video De-blocking support ( Reduces blocking artifacts seen in low-bit rate video during playback )
    - Mosquito noise reduction ( Reduces mosquito noise seen in highly compressed progressive video, during playback )
    - Official support for OpenGL 4.0 and OpenGL 3.3
    - Support for OpenGL 4.1
    - OpenGL ES 2.0 support
    - Enhanced Pull-down detection ( The Pull-down detection algorithm has been enhanced for higher visual quality on certain types of video content )
    - ATI Radeon GPU acceleration of VLC 1.1.1 ( or higher ) Media Player
    - Video accleration for HD WMV video content
    - Enahnced Dynamic Contrast video controls
    - Enhanced Video Quality default options
    - Catalyst AI Texture Filtering updates
    - Tessellation Controls
    - Morphological Anti-Aliasing support
    - Stereo 3D gaming support
    - Performance increase in 3DMark11/Vantage and many games!
    - A lot more Catalyst™ Application Profiles
    - Many bugfixes/resolved stability issues and enhancements for Windows 7!
    - And a lote more I probably forgot to mention...

I will update the first post with all this information and new benchmarks with the current driver as soon as I can.
  24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    there is a huge difference between those cards. i think the driver is reading wrong like everyone else is saying. if you dont want to believe that cool.
  25. WarraWarra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice improvement.
    Yeah like someone else said if you are serious about gaming then buy a decent i7-2nd gen +6970m/485m for the same price or less and your not stuck with a PDA OS on your hardware.

Alternatively, So why go thru all this trouble when you can get another MXM card and install it instead of this 5750m. You can reuse the same heatsink, just add some Thermal Grease.
    You might want to install the latest ATI OSX drivers so it could recognize the new card or the Imac will go stupid and not start OSX then new OSX install needed.
    The generic OSX works best for this, not sure if the Imac osx disk would work.

I had to help some unfortunate sod with his 2009 Imac, added 6970m + Vertex3 SSD and runs like hell now.
    Just check power supply capacity or get similar power consumption card as the 5750m.

They are all hardware / Intel inside, you just payed $1k ~$2k too much for the logo. :toast: