1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Technology Officially Announces the Z-Drive PCI-Express SSD for Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Apr 24, 2009.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    OCZ Technology Group, a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and computer components, today unveiled the Z-Drive, a PCI-Express based SSD solution designed to meet the stringent demands of enthusiast computing environments and high-end workstations. First debuted at Cebit 2009 in Germany, the Z-Drive is the latest premium solid state storage solution from OCZ.
    “It is our goal to deliver tailored SSD solutions for the complete spectrum of high performance applications,” said Eugene Chang, Vice President of Product Management at the OCZ Technology Group. “Designed for ultra high performance consumers, the Z-Drive takes the SATA bottleneck out of the equation by employing the ultra fast PCI-Express architecture with a RAID controller and four Vertex controllers configured in four-way RAID 0 within an all-in-one product, making this solution ideal for applications that put a premium on both storage performance and maximum capacity.”

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OCZ continues to develop its enthusiast storage solutions that provide incredible speeds and higher storage capacities that rival conventional hard drives. The Z-Drive is based on cutting-edge PCI Express architecture that breaks through the performance barriers previously found with SATA interface. Offering a truly enthusiast grade storage upgrade from traditional hard disc drives, OCZ’s Z-Drive utilizes a combined 256 MB of local cache and an onboard RAID controller, to provide a complete solution in a compact form factor. The OCZ Z-Drives offer space and cost-savings that uses significantly less power thanks to the benefits of high-quality flash-based storage in an integrated total-solution.

The OCZ Z-Drive is the result of the latest breakthroughs in technology building on the advantages of flash-based storage, delivering incredible performance that translates to professional-class data storage enthusiasts have come to expect from OCZ’s premium offerings. These next-generation drives feature exceptional speeds up to 510 MB/s read and 480 MB/s write, all while delivering lowered power consumption, ultra-fast data access, superior durability, and lower cost per ownership compared to conventional hard drives when factoring in the need for multiple drives and a separate RAID controller. In configurations of 250 GB, 500 GB, and massive 1 TB capacities and priced aggressively to be within reach of high end consumers, the OCZ Z-Drive offers ample room to create a high performance storage array for enthusiast high performance systems.

For more information on the OCZ Z-Drive, please click here.

Source: OCZ Technology

1c3d0g, WarEagleAU and tzitzibp say thanks.
  2. ZoneDymo

ZoneDymo

Thanks Received:
    Great, now all we need is GPU's who we can hook up using SATA.

3. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Can we have a comp to design the cover for one of these ala the 4890 comp? :D

I'd love to have one but i know i don't have enough organs/limbs in my body to sell to be able to afford one :(

4. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Super speeds...:eek:
    This is a great choice for hardware junkies, but I am not sure it is for enthusiasts, unless Modders are included.:D

please, elaborate on "...priced aggressively to be within reach of high end consumers..." ???

checking my bank account... Now!:D

5. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Given that they've written consumers in the plural sense, they must expect at least two people to buy one each.

I would like to know who these people are and whether they have daughters.

6. SpookyWillow New Member

Thanks Received:
    priced at around €1400 (£1257), €2200 (£1975) and €3400 (£3053) for the 250GB, 500GB and 1TB versions.

so not really lol

7. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    OK, I've just done a quick check on ebuyer.

Based on this you could get 20,953GB of storage for the same price as that 250GB model.

Anyone beat that? What's the best we can come up with?

8. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I'd take the Hitachi's and Raid0 them... lol.

These are abit OTT on prices. Is it just me that still thinks 30GB SSDs are overpriced?

9. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Why do I get the impression that THIS with its tiny paddle-steamer fan running at 6000RPM is going to whine and annoy the pants of anyone standing near.

Why didnt they build a decent passive cooler for this? So easy to do, since there is so little space constraint on a long PCIex16 card.

10. caleb

Thanks Received:
    So that first they can sell the fan version and after 3 months release a passive cooled version

1c3d0g says thanks.
  11. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    For the price of the bloody things they could build the entire shroud in copper with fins etc. And fix some diamonds into it. Shit, they could probably import the Antarctic winds to cool the them.

12. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. There is no excuse for shortcuts on cooling or trying to save a $ on shipping weights on an item that costs thousands. :shadedshu

1c3d0g says thanks.
  13. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to imagine how much heat does this thing generate.

1c3d0g says thanks.
  14. punani

punani

Thanks Received:
    :twitch:
    :banghead:

give it a few years and I think we'll all have a couple of these! :)

15. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL this made me laugh.

16. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    ID love to snag up one of the TB ones if I had the cash.

17. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    can be used as a main os drive?

18. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:

punani?

19. mister_stu New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm i wonder how many m/b's will support this and recognize it as a hard drive
    and that little fan looks ridiculous theyv even put it on the back of the card where theres no space for the air to move in and all the chips are on the bottom :roll:

20. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    this is really great solution performance storage , time for brands put more pci-e x1 slots