1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

old ssd vs wd caviar black raid array

Discussion in 'Storage' started by exodusprime1337, Jan 14, 2011.

1. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    So don't flame me.. i use software raid and don't care to get a dedicated raid card, so my drives might perform better then they can. The question is simple, a few years ago my gf(no ex) started an account here on tpu to ask you guys what to get me for christmas, the suggestion was made to grab a g.skill ssd 64gb fm252s it is. i used it for a while but the constant stuttering and what not got the best of me and i stopped using it.. now lets fast forward to now. I decided to put this thing back in as an os drive, and so far it seems snappier than my raided wd caviar blacks. based on these hdtune benches.. is the ssd still a winner in terms of os performance, or should i go back to my raid array.

g.skill ssd(idk whats up with the up and down, this is one of the very first ssd's ever)

[​IMG]

wd caviar black 1tb in raid 0 64k stripe size

[​IMG]

2. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    even if the SSD was only getting 50MBps, it will still be snappier than the HDDs. HDDs suck accessing small files. you cannot see that overhead in a benchmark testing the sequential performance. in real world, unless you are copying big files, you cannot get the kind of read/write speed shown on HDTune with the HDDs.

p.s.
    stuttering issue is something else right? i have no experience with stutter so i cannot really understand how bad it can get.

3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Its like some music or video with someone constantly tapping the play/pause button

4. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    in what sort of thing do you FEEL the stutter? watching a movie off the SSD?

5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I dont get stutter - Im just giving an example of how it would feel for the OP