• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optical Disc Drive owners club

D

Deleted member 185158

On top of the 6 DVD's I managed to snatch up I had 2 already. It makes a beautiful sound when all 8 are ripping at once and my wife is like "Do you have to do that right now?"
Lol, I bet. Gotta sound cool. Mine doesn't like the Intake fans 1.6a 120mm Deltas.

System Name HP EliteBook 725 G3
Processor AMD PRO A10-8700B (1.8 GHz CMT dual module with 3.2 GHz boost)
Motherboard HP proprietary
Cooling pretty good
Memory 8 GB SK Hynix DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon R6 (Carrizo/GCNv3)
Storage internal Kioxia XG6 1 TB NVMe SSD (aftermarket)
Display(s) HP P22h G4 21.5" 1080p (& 768p internal LCD)
Case HP proprietary metal case
Audio Device(s) built-in Conexant CX20724 HDA chipset -> Roland RH-200S
Power Supply HP-branded AC adapter
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Benchmark Scores Broadcom BCM94356 11ac M.2 WiFi card (aftermarket)
I personally like audio CDs. I've all but embraced digital media at this point when it comes to games and for the most part, movies, but I have a very soft spot for high-resolution audio, and nothing beats optical media mastered from source at it. I order some audio CDs and SACDs from Japan every now and then, it's a very big thing there to this day, and I'm glad it is.

I made the offer for the Optiarc drives, just waiting on the seller's answer now. I'll let you know if there's a deal, and if they're alright when they arrive. It's a risk worth taking :)

So, a little update: the seller accepted and I've purchased the drives. Will bring some results on ripping and burning once I have them in hand.
To build some hype:
https://myce.wiki/reviews/optiarc-ad-7240s-dvd-burner-review-15981/
https://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/sony-optiarc-ad-7240s-24x-dvdrwram/all-pages.html
Review of the almost identical successor AD-7260S with professional disc scanning equipment

I like audio CDs too and even have one SACD (I will post a photo of it in this new thread today). Unfortunately, I don't have the space to buy everything that I want to own on physical CD and sometimes downloads are also significantly cheaper (including international shipping) or even the only option for some of the music I listen to, so I only buy what is not available as a (FLAC) download or what is significantly cheaper used on CD.

Have two BR units in this one I'm posting with, one is a CD/DVD/BR burner (LG M-disc), the other a more standard CD/DVD burner unit (Also LG) but it too can read BR.

Have several out at the shack including an Asus CD/DVD "Lightscribe" IDE and a few others for good measure I've accumilated over the years.

You're referring to "Master" and Slave" drives on the same IDE ribbon cable.

You can have two IDE devices on the same cable and you have a jumper on these drives to set them as such according to how you have them plugged into the cable, this goes for both, disc drives and HDD's.
Yes, you can have one of each on the same cable as long as you have the jumpers set correctly. There is a little diagram on the end of the drive that tells you how to set these jumpers.
For an HDD, alot of the time it's on the drive's label but for disc drives it's always stamped into the metal at the end where the jumper is.

For those that don't know, It goes like this:
Each IDE cable have three plugs total, what I call the "Long" and "Short" ends of the cable is based on how close to the middle plug each end is.

The board end plug is the "Long" end of the cable and is on one end of it, that always goes to the board itself and is further away from the middle plug.

The drive plugs are always towards the "Short" end of the cable.

The master drive plug on it is always at the very end of the ribbon cable too like the board end is and the master end is always closer to the middle (Slave) plug than the board end is.
Once you look at an IDE cable, you can lay it out and easily see this layout for yourself.

Usually there are labels saying what each plug is for is but that's how you can tell if there are no labels for these plugs on the cable.
Thanks for the explanation! I wasn't yet doing any DIY computer stuff during the IDE era. I am of the SATA generation :D Those old ASUS drives may very well be old rebadged Pioneer DVD drives, which are very well respected burners.

System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
I got to looking around the house & I have about 20 ODDs. The oldest is a Creative Quad Speed drive in my 486 box. It dates to the mid-90s or so & has its own controller/sound card.
For interesting units, I have an LG M-Disc Multi drive, an LG Bluray/HD DVD drive, and an LG Bluray drive. Most of the other drives I have were dumpster rescue pulls.

Cooling pretty good
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
I got to looking around the house & I have about 20 ODDs. The oldest is a Creative Quad Speed drive in my 486 box. It dates to the mid-90s or so & has its own controller/sound card.
For interesting units, I have an LG M-Disc Multi drive, an LG Bluray/HD DVD drive, and an LG Bluray drive. Most of the other drives I have were dumpster rescue pulls.
I like how you call the LG M-Disc DVD drive and Bluray drive the "interesting" ones, when I would say those are the most "boring" and common ones ;) (My WH16NS40 or rather NS50 has the "M DISC" badge too) The HD DVD combo drive is interesting though, not to speak of the Creative drive! I am sure that there are some great drives among those dumpster rescue pulls and would love to know more about them.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
My father bought a Playstation 3 with modded firmware used to rip SA-CDs. It's the latest fat model, and I assume that's because you need the media card interface on the front to transfer the music to store the ripped CDs. I haven't tried ripping any SA-CDs, but I do have a Johnny Cash SA-CD I can try it with.

Only the earliest PS3s (models CECHA through CECHE) have the super audio CD processing chip in them. Those are the same that can play PS2 games, later models have had the functionality removed, and thus cannot rip SACDs.

You'll know easily enough if yours is compatible if it has the super audio CD symbol on the side, though another giveaway it's not compatible is only having 2 USB ports on the front.

Cooling pretty good
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Only the earliest PS3s (models CECHA through CECHE) have the super audio CD processing chip in them. Those are the same that can play PS2 games, later models have had the functionality removed, and thus cannot rip SACDs.

You'll know easily enough if yours is compatible if it has the super audio CD symbol on the side, though another giveaway it's not compatible is only having 2 USB ports on the front.
That is also roughly what I have read. Please continue this discussion in this new thread though ;) This thread is more focused on computer drives and recordable (and rewritable) media. (discussion of ripping audio CDs with 5.25", built-in laptop or USB external ODDs connected to a computer is fine here though)

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Thanks for the explanation! I wasn't yet doing any DIY computer stuff during the IDE era. I am of the SATA generation :D Those old ASUS drives may very well be old rebadged Pioneer DVD drives, which are very well respected burners.
No problem.
I can add you can run a single drive per cable if you want, as long as the jumpers on your drives are set correctly to how you connect the cables to the drives it's fine.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
bd/dvd (fuck streaming) enjoyer reporting in.

protip: you can watch (most) of your bds w/ vlc. info here: http://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/
My ripping software of choice (MakeMKV) also has integration with media players.

If you have a drive that supports its "direct disc access" feature (like my downgraded WH16NS40), then in theory it can play any Blu-ray release. No menu support though; it just plays the largest file on the disc.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
I love that memorex drive. One of the fastest out there! Looks like the same one I gots!

Here's a shot of the label. I guess it's a DVD-RAM! Never even checked. It's ATAPI, as are the two Optiarcs and one Pioneer in there. Then one Toshiba/Samsung, two Lite-On and the rest are HLDS. The "odd" model numbers must be OEM parts. In addition to the three GH70N, there's one GH50N out of a Dell or HP system.

IMG_20220927_210355672~2.jpg

System Name PC-GX1
Processor i9 10900 non K (stock) TDP 65w
Motherboard asrock b560 steel legend | Realtek ALC897
Cooling cooler master hyper 2x12 LED turbo argb | 5x12cm fan rgb intake | 3x12cm fan rgb exhaust
Memory corsair vengeance LPX 2x32gb ddr4 3600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 10GB Gaming Z Trio LHR TDP 370w| 555.85 WHQL | MSI AB v4.65 | RTSS v7.36
Storage NVME 2+2TB gen3| SSD 4TB sata3 | 1+2TB 7200rpm sata3| 4+4+5TB USB3 (optional)
Display(s) AOC U34P2C (IPS panel, 3440x1440 75hz) + speaker 5W*2 | APC BX1100CI MS (660w)
Case lianli lancool 2 mesh RGB windows - white edition | 1x dvd-RW usb 3.0 (optional)
Audio Device(s) Nakamichi soundstation8w 2.1 100W RMS | Simbadda CST 9000N+ 2.1 352W RMS
Power Supply seasonic focus gx-850w 80+ gold - white edition 2021 | APC BX2200MI MS (1200w)
Mouse steelseries sensei ten | logitech g440
Keyboard steelseries apex 5 | steelseries QCK prism cloth XL | steelseries arctis 5
VR HMD -
Software dvd win 10 home 64bit oem + full update 22H2
Benchmark Scores -
i am using dvd rw ODD, external.... and only optional..... just for instal dvd win 10 64bit home oem......

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
These are my 2 spare IDE optical drives. I don't know much about them; except they were both taken from dead PCs. The Lite-On one on the left weighs like 2 pounds. I would definitely use one if one of my computers needed an IDE CD drive. Tomorrow I'll find my two SATA drives and send pictures.
1664336824650.png
1664336842769.png

1664336892385.png

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
I got this pc for $20 off of Craigslist listed as non-working. I can’t figure out which specific part(s) are not working but it’s a windows 98/xp-era machine. Sometimes I wonder why the previous owner had 4 CD drives put in. They are all high speed according to front plates, and each one is connected to the same IDE cable.

Those are scsi drives, not pata. You can only connect two drives per pata ribbon cable. Old school scsi can have 7 per cable iirc. A scsi ribbon cable has more wires than a pata cable. And that cable in your computer is wider than a pata cable. I started out with some Plextor scsi cd-rom/rw drives back in the days. The I believe the first one was a cd-rom with 4x speed. The main reason to use scsi back then, was to do direct copy from one drive to another, pata did not have the capacity to handle it. I paired that Plextor cd-rom with a cd-rw soon enough to do just that. I believe scsi could even handle copying one drive to multiple drives, like that rig could do in theory. But I may have reached the end of my memory when it comes to scsi technicalities. I haven't messed around with that for at least 20 years.

For those that don't know, It goes like this:
Each IDE cable have three plugs total, what I call the "Long" and "Short" ends of the cable is based on how close to the middle plug each end is.

The board end plug is the "Long" end of the cable and is on one end of it, that always goes to the board itself and is further away from the middle plug.

The drive plugs are always towards the "Short" end of the cable.

The master drive plug on it is always at the very end of the ribbon cable too like the board end is and the master end is always closer to the middle (Slave) plug than the board end is.
Once you look at an IDE cable, you can lay it out and easily see this layout for yourself.

Usually there are labels saying what each plug is for is but that's how you can tell if there are no labels for these plugs on the cable.

Pata cabling can be painful. It is correct that if you want to run two devices on a cable it is recommended to have the master device at the end. This is also how the cable select jumper setting is supposed to work, but more often than not it didn't. Depending on the devices/pata controller they would also work with the master device in the middle and the slave at the end. But for that you had to use the master/slave jumper setting. The main cause for trouble was that controller/device firmware seemed to not follow one standard. Some pata controllers would have trouble with random devices, that would work perfectly fine with another controller. The second main issue was messed up jumper settings.

If you use just one device, you can use either plug. And if you don't need more cable than to the first plug you can cut off the second half. Just use the master setting on the device. Some devices even have separate single and master settings. Which can complicate things if you don't pay attention to the label, see messed up jumper settings above. ;)

I checked a couple drawers and found a few oldies but goldies. I am sure I got more in storage as well. Probably some of those old scsi drives I mention above, and lots more. Never realised those old pata Plextor drives had a digital audio out, as well as the old analogue one. Now I wonder if it is possible to hook that up to a coaxial s/pdif input. Not sure I will ever bother finding out though :laugh::kookoo:
It is probably at least 12-15 years since the last time they were powered up.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 84
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 63

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Does a LS120 fit the qualification ? after all its a MO drive

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Optical discs: those were the good old days!

I have Plextor drives that can do advanced burning and monitoring. I used to be quite the enthusiast, aiming for burns with the lowest error rates: there are marked differences and both will play fine if the errors don't cross thresholds, but the worse disc will show problems sooner and on more drives, especially cheaper or marginal ones.

Alas, despite how expensive Plextors were and their unique featuresets, they weren't reliable. All but one of them failed after a relatively short time. I think the 712A still works. Would have to check.

Does a LS120 fit the qualification ? after all its a MO drive
The LS120 was a purely magnetic technology, similar to the IOMega Zip and SyQuest EZDrive. The MO(Magneto-Optical) technology was used in Sony's Minidisc and even though it was similar in capacity(140MB), the technology employed was very different.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Pata cabling can be painful. It is correct that if you want to run two devices on a cable it is recommended to have the master device at the end. This is also how the cable select jumper setting is supposed to work, but more often than not it didn't. Depending on the devices/pata controller they would also work with the master device in the middle and the slave at the end. But for that you had to use the master/slave jumper setting. The main cause for trouble was that controller/device firmware seemed to not follow one standard. Some pata controllers would have trouble with random devices, that would work perfectly fine with another controller. The second main issue was messed up jumper settings.

If you use just one device, you can use either plug. And if you don't need more cable than to the first plug you can cut off the second half. Just use the master setting on the device. Some devices even have separate single and master settings. Which can complicate things if you don't pay attention to the label, see messed up jumper settings above. ;)
That's why I didn't mention "Cable Select", it never worked for me either.
I just said what I know works so anyone setting it up can get things working without all the headscratching over it.

Nope - Even if you could snip off the part of the cable you don't need that's something I personally won't do.
A good cable is a good cable and could be one day you'd want to add another drive and then you'd need another cable to do it with - Won't hurt a thing to just leave the extra plug unused.

I've never seen the master/slave order reversed but then again I've never tried it either, I always used these settings according to how the labels go and it always worked which is really all I can ask for.

Here's a blast from the past - how many others here owned one of the earliest drives on the market, a 1x speed Mitsumi CRMC-LU005S CD-ROM "clamshell" top-loading design where the whole drive slid out and the interface was a proprietary one that plugged into an ISA controller / sound card. Happy memories playing The 7th Guest back in '93 on that. :)

Kenwood 72X TrueX CD-ROM late 1999 "worlds fastest cd-rom drive" , super fast reading and loading game discs and software discs. It did have issues reading a lot of burned media but faired better with firmware update and you used 4 screws and some rubber dampening. Burning straight to a burning drive was the shizzle , error correcting was handled by the 7 beams so scratches didn't matter much. I still have a couple of them in retro machines.

20220928_075814.jpg

20220928_075859.jpg

20220928_081052.jpg

20220928_080938.jpg

*** some other drives in the "tub"

BlueRay/HD we still have 4 of these , from when the battle for hi-def movies was raging (had to be able to play both right?)

20220928_080110.jpg

Pioneer tray less , have a couple of these left

20220928_080142.jpg

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
The LS120 was a purely magnetic technology,
Um they were equipped with a Laser to position the Read/write heads.
Both the drive's i own have Laser radiation warning stickers Very Promment on case.
Being a nit picking SOB i think that Qualifies As Magnetical Optical Drive.

"Of Course i will allow you to disagree ":oops::rolleyes:

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Finally a club I can be part of.

I have 3 regular LG OEM combo drives and two older HP units, a reader and a burner. No blu-ray, it was never a thing in my country and the few drives I've seen for sale were more expensive than a 1TB hard drive back in the day, choosing between them was a nobrainer.

Each disc was also expensive af and not every unit could burn them, that and the ridiculous DRM made me avoid it as a technology, so... HDD ftw.
That's why I didn't mention "Cable Select", it never worked for me either.
I just said what I know works so anyone setting it up can get things working without all the headscratching over it.
CS never worked for me,

PRI MASTER DRIVE - ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE
PRESS DEL TO RUN SETUP

Cooling pretty good
Keyboard Cherry G84-5200
Software Alma Linux 9.1
Finally a club I can be part of.

I have 3 regular LG OEM combo drives and two older HP units, a reader and a burner. No blu-ray, it was never a thing in my country and the few drives I've seen for sale were more expensive than a 1TB hard drive back in the day, choosing between them was a nobrainer.

Each disc was also expensive af and not every unit could burn them, that and the ridiculous DRM made me avoid it as a technology, so... HDD ftw.

CS never worked for me,

PRI MASTER DRIVE - ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE
PRESS DEL TO RUN SETUP
There is no DRM (ACSS) on BD-Rs though and you cannot buy movies on HDDs, so not really a fair comparison, I would say. Still, I agree with you that DVD (and CD) are more attractive overall and I do have a 2 TB internal HDD for multimedia

These are my 2 spare IDE optical drives. I don't know much about them; except they were both taken from dead PCs. The Lite-On one on the left weighs like 2 pounds. I would definitely use one if one of my computers needed an IDE CD drive. Tomorrow I'll find my two SATA drives and send pictures.
View attachment 263393View attachment 263394
View attachment 263396
The HP drive is a very old (Hitachi-)LG judging by the model code (GCA-4166B). Those old LGs were beloved burners on the Myce (formerly cdrfreaks) forums. The Lite-On drive is a DVD reader/CD burner combo drive, so more of a budget minded OEM drive. Still, it should do the job for playback at least, so good to keep it around.