1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OS for new sytem testing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Jumped on the Ivy Bridge train this weekend and doing a tabletop build for OC, testing and burn-in.

I want to install (and not activate) Windows XP or Windows 7 so I can test for a week or two.

What's considered the best for OC and benchmark testing? Also, can Win XP or Windows 7 be run without a key? Been so long since I've done an OS install, I forgot.

Also... where do I download an iso for Win 7 professional? I used to have link directly to Microsoft but can't find it...
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I can confirm 7 requires a key to be imputed before you install. My source. Trying to install windows 7 on my new ssd just last week.

There are quite a few tests. Look at TPU's cpu benchmarks and use those tests.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No it doesn't. Retail or OEM? because I can install my retail version without key, and then I have 30 days to enter the key and activate it.
    stinger608 says thanks.
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    You can hit "Continue" without inputting a key and the install will become a trial version (30 days). If you hit "Omit" you'll have 3 days to activate for some reason :confused:

The trial can be extended 3 times by rearming the OS (rearming the OS resets the trial period).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    OEM

I am not afraid to admit I am wrong, and I quite often am oblivious to little buttons. I am pretty sure I did not see a continute button. I have to do another install of 7 here soon and will definitely look.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's "Next" then? Spanish version said "Continuar" (Continue). Also, don't forget to tick off the "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online" checkbox.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Ill go Win 7, as its what I will be installing when I'm done. Thanks for the help.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You can install Win7 without entering a key, you then have 30 days to enter a key and activate it. After the 30 days you will loose some functionality, but the OS will actually be pretty usable. You just won't be able to install updates, use MSE, or change the theme/background. You can issue the re-arm command twice to extend the 30 day trial an additional 30 days, but you have to run the command before the initial trial ends for it to work.

At this point you'll want to go Win7 for benchmarking, save maybe a very select few benchmarks. You'll need DX11 for most game benchmarks, and you'll want full access to your RAM as well.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Sasqui says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What's involved in a re-arm - is it obvious when the trial expires? Never heard of it before.

Good points, expecially about the RAM. I don't have XP 64 bit and didn't even think of that.
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have a testing copy of windows XP that is like 150MB I use and if I want to do OCing tests. It installs and boots FAST.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:

You just run "slmgr /rearm" in a command prompt with Administrative privileges (right click > Run as administrator). Re-arming Windows will reset all system files to default, similar to how the old XP repair console worked. As a side effect it will also reset the activation state (inactivated copies will reset to 30 day grace period and activated copies will be inactivated). You can issue the command up to 3 times per installation.
    Sasqui says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. JNUKZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I´m sorry but looks like a cant post that, so stick with the 30days
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  14. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Read the forum guidelines
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. newtekie1