1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclock HD3400

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Driftmonkey, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, have a ASUS M51SE here with ATi HD3400 series running 12.6 catalyst. Tried a few overclocking tools but something seems to be... bottlenecking it? I've checked with GPU-Z and it's consistantly running at 337mhz core speed when default is 680? Even when playing in game then coming out to check logs it's the same speed. REALLY not sure as to what is holding it at this speed.. Has anyone heard or seen this happening before? I've tried searching all throughout google to find nothing. Even tried official asus forums and they told me nothing at all. lol.

Any helps appreciated :)

Cheers
  2. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    For OC'ing discrete gpu's the best tool I have found is AMD Overdrive. Only problem is the memory is shared between the CPU/GPU so you can't adjust the Memory Speed as it is usually locked.

Anyway the issue you are having might be due to trying to OC the memory.
  3. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    As for overdrive, I haven't seen it in the catalyst suite.. :S Never been there before :( I overclocked both memory and the clock speed through MSI Afterburner but as I was overclocking, the speeds would say that they're at 680 though they're really only at 337. Put it to 690 it'd jump to 347mhz so on so forth. BUT, msi has stopped letting my overclock and the slider bar is set all the way to the end already which are my standard clocks, (680mhz, 500mhz) though GPU-Z still reads both as 337mhz , 247mhz.

-Somewhat off topic question- if the gpu has ddr2 memory, does that mean if gpu-z read its at 300mhz, it's 2x 300mhz? I had a problem where if I OC'd past a certain point I'd get artifacts instantly and screen would black out. Would have to restart computer.
  4. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
  5. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sigh.. afterburner and gpu-z don't like eachother it seems.. turned powerplay OFF. played a bluray movie and the clocks stayed the same, but voltage went up? :D

if I change the clocks in MSI by 1 mhz the clocks drop to 110 according to MSI, but gpu-z says they dropped by the hopefully correct... 1mhz.. Sigh.

http://puu.sh/1aWYJ
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    yo man go easy on the posts
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There is an edit button for a reason. Don't multi-post like that or a moderator will be all over your case since it is against the forum rules.
  10. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read what eidairaman1 said. I don't feel like reading it again.
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Really Ocing a HD3xxx series IGP is not really worth any gains. Its purpose is to bring better video play to higher resolutions and do really light gaming such as say valve games or SOME source games

Not telling you what to do or anything but they are only trying to help you not get in trouble.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Honestly if that motherboard has a PEG x16 or X8 slot id put in a Radeon HD 7650 in
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would not advise overclocking any 3xxx iGPU they have a habit of melting
  14. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    800mhz core 1200mhz memory. Eh.
  15. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    unless you change out the cooler on the chipset I strongly recommend not overclocking unless you have at the very least a fan blowing directly on the north-bridge keep a eye on the temps if they get over 85c you are gonna start having issues eventually
    I have had a few 740g/760g boards with the 3400's there good enough for video playback-assist and thats about it I have seen two of them go up in smoke because people tried the game on them and didn't watch the temps they are NOT ment to game they will handel some light low res gaming but when you push them they melt
    Driftmonkey says thanks.
  16. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha yeah, I have a laptop fan under it along with me removing all that restrictive filter stuff infront of the fan entry. I don't have it on anything other than the laptop fan so I thought I may as well have gotten rid of it. 680 - 800 mhz isn't too bad, though that would be as high as I would go. I usually have it on 725mhz daily use. Would like to see it go poof, though :D Would be an interesting lesson haha thanks for the tips mate :)
  17. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
    id run gpuZ and log the temps to be safe
    remember igpu also contains the IOHC so if it melts you are out a whole motherboard
  18. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if the 3400 supports temp readings, does it? Well, not that I've seen so far. Gpu-z , MSI doesn't like to log the temps when they're running. Or has it gone poof already? :rockout:
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. Driftmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ooosh, thanks for that ! hahah, only ever used cpu-z gpu-z , never knew that existed lol. But yeah, I only occasionally game on stuff like DotA. Which isn't too graphical intensive, I think.