1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

overclocked, but no change in frames per second??

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by atyar, Aug 15, 2005.

1. atyar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sys Specs:
    Athlon XP 2500+
    1.25Gb PC2700 ram
    120Gb WD Caviar SE 7200rpm w/8mb cache
    ATI Radeon 9550 256mb agp8x video card
    SB Audigy 2ZS sound card
    PCI twin cooling fan directly below the video card

I am using ATItool to overclock my vid card, which I'm able to get to 440/480 stably. When I ran 3dMark, my score went up from about 2200 to about 3200 after overclocking, so that was some improvement. When I check frames per second, however, in either Sims2 or StarWars Battlefront, I see absolutely no difference in frames per second (60 in BF, and about 30 in Sims2) from when I overclock or not. Shouldn't I see a fps improvement? Really, it doesn't seem to make any improvement in the smoothness of Sims2 when I overclock, and Battlefront runs smoothly either way....

:confused:

2. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    try *un*checking vsync.

3. atyar New Member

Thanks Received:
    already is, unfortunately

I checked, and vsync, among most other settings, are already set to maximize performance, but thanks for the idea!

4. atyar New Member

Thanks Received:
    funny, because....

it's funny, because I see about a 30% increase in the frame rate shown in the atitool 3d image itself when I overclock - it's just that it doesn't seem to translate into the games, themselves...

5. mcjase New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same card..

Sapphire Ati 9550 256 DDR

I run the ati tool and i get 470 core but my memory wont go over 207 without showing artifacts..Why is this?

6. atyar New Member

Thanks Received:
    re: sapphire card

I'm not sure. I hear in various posts that different manufacturers use some different components that can make a difference. Mine is a true ATI card (for better or for worse), and I have a dual pci fan that is blowing on the video card, which helps dissipate heat(which contributes to artifacts). To be honest, I only get about 445 core - if I push 450, I get artifacts. I get 250 on the memory comfortably, however. Yesterday, I was playing around with it to see which seemed to make more difference in the 3dView frames per second, either core or memory, and I didn't have much time to be conclusive. Didn't notice a huge difference at the outset, however.

7. Nyte New Member

Thanks Received:
    The game could be cpu bottlenecked.