1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking GTX 860m Maxwell

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Irish_PXzyan, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Howdy lads,

Just curious about laptop overclocking. I tried a bit with my last laptop with the AMD APU A8 4500m and it worked rather well and gave pretty good performance boost ^^

How would I go about overclocking an Nvidia GPU? and would it be safe to do so?

Cheers lads.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    You could probably use MSI Afterburner to do it.

Nvidia Inspector too.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Ah jayziz I'm a blind at :L I have Nvidia Inspector and never even noticed the overclocing section :L Thanks man! I will see if it works and hoefully yeilds a decent performance gain ^^

4. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    ~800mhz? consider a near 100mhz overclock giving ~10% performance, so 40fps to 44fps, decide if that's worth it

just watch the temps as usual, avoid raising voltage

my msi laptop came with some overclock tool... never tried it

5. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    800mhz?? Did I miss something? :p
    I was doing some searchs regarding the overclocking of this 860m and they can be pushed very high it seems.
    Some guy overclocked the core +280mhz and 800mhz memory! Not too bad if ya ask me, it beats the 870m in benchmarks and the temps remain at 76c on high load.

I would have to flash the gpu but I never done anything like that before and it sounds dangerous to bother with it :/ I can only get 135mhz on the core and will have to flash it to get more control over it. I dunno what to do

6. moemoelol New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone raised the memory by 800mhz? :eek: Can you send me the link? that's insane

7. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    Here's a link to the site: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/751352-860m-beast.html

Browse through it all if possible as it's quite interesting to read. It all depends on the components used that'll allow you to reach 800mhz on the memory and even over 325 core clock. But he can get it stable at 325 on the core and 700mhz on the memory! SO damn impressive and sadly for me, there isn't any vBIOS yet for my XMG A504 :(

Mine is locked at 135mhz on the core but it does give a 4-5 fps bonus and 1 degree hotter :p My temps stay at 58-60c which I think is impressive ^^

8. SSDdrivei7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course they (mobile GPU) can be overclocked massively; why do people insist upon stating the outdated 4-5 fps increase? Or 100mhz? I've overclocked my mobiles up to +350mhz core for 4-5 years now, and gained up to 20 fps, so, people, do your research before not-helping. Thank you! :)

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Please notice that this thread's discussion ceased two months ago. Also, before criticizing people for not helping, it would be helpful if your post was actually helpful in regards to the question being asked. Thank you!