• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking Wall of Shame: The Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
mostly because at that point i feel like a god even though less than 10% of PC users even know who i am.

What makes it all that much more laughable is this:

not every piece of hardware is created completely 100% equal, so when overclocking to the brink, results will always vary. Like assume that one person overclocks 20 sets of CPU/Mobo/RAM to the absolute brink, he wont get the EXACT same clocks and settings on every single setup.

EXACTLY. The people aren't important..as erocker says, they are just the actors. The crap about cheating and stuff is the drama thrown in to keep people interested. Without the drama, most of the entire "scene" would go unnoticed.

Very unnoticed..becuase anyone with brains knows that noone can actually use those sort of speeds 24/7, and that the hardware is really what's being showcased, not the clockers.

People really just don't care.

Well, you did say the bot needs to die. Those are pretty harsh words, so I presume you're unhappy with it because more than just the points system. :D

I agree, though, the points system is a very delicate topic. Ranking people always is. That's why there have been quite some updates since rev1. Unfortunatelly, it always benefits some and hurts others. In the end, I think ranks actually challenge people more than it makes them cry about stuff. I know I can spend an entire day trying to improve from 16th to 8th in some old-skool ranking.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, strong words, for a weak argument.

We've talked before about how I would like some of this stuff to work...

And no, I don't have anything against HWBOT. But what I can tell you is that in the past 2 years, I've probably visited the site 4 times, and each time, it was to check out a score posted that I thought was questionable, so wanted to see other results in the same region. I also visited to remove my own rankings from the points system. I was posting scores daily to HWBOT when it first started, and I was basically the only person on XS doing so. Even Fugger admitted I was a big part of the forum back then...

Of course, you need the points system to get people to post the data in the first place...

IN the end, I don't see how any of it really has a usable benefit in the real world, to an average user. You cater to a niche market, and probably do the best job of it, too, but in the end, it's a niche of a niche...which means a very small crowd.

I'd like the crowd to grow, and with all of this stuff happening in the background, makes that much harder.

HWBOT, in it's ideal, is very useful, no doubt. But that's not what it's really being used for.

And that has nothing to do with HWBOT...that's the users.

System Name Silent allround
Processor i5 750 @ 3,0Ghz 1.04v / 3.4Ghz 1.11v/ 3,6Ghz 1.15v
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-USB3
Cooling Thermalright IFX-14 + Scythe Slip Stream 140mm @ 600RPM
Memory 2 x 4GB Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 @ 2000 MHz 9-10-10-27 T1
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X @ 940/1270
Storage Intel Postville 80GB SSD & Western Digital Green 2TB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 with Unified Drivers
Power Supply Nexus NX-5000 R3 530W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Super pi 1M : 8,549s @ 4,7Ghz (Core i7 920)
hey guys,

you shouldn't really give a fuck since hardware and numbers are just things, and the best things in life aren't things.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I just find it funny that people even care.

The high-end guys overclocking, are sponsored..because it provides good marketing.

I've never known any marketing to be completely honest. When I questioned someone about something I thought questionable, I was told exactly that...that it was just marketing.

All current guys in the extreme OC scene should be cut off. Every single one, honest or not.

Fixing the entire scene would be easy...but noone wants to do it.

Nothing in your article, BZ, was really unknown before. I guess it wasn't fully public and all in one place.

The little chickens who are running around like they had thier head cut off...LOL...can keep running.

Nobody cares..look at the GOOC thread here..6 replies, by 4 posters, 3 diggs.

XS has 1/4 the readership here @ TPU...

While I appreciate the effort, BZ, it seems kinda futile. Competitions need to be stopped, first.

I and a couple of other long standing members here were in a team affiliated to a leading graphics card manufacturer, nothing particularily big even though the company is very big, we each got some hardware i suppose nearly 3 years ago now, the only instructions we got was to have fun and push the kit as hard as we could and just post some scores up around the web....... seems some manufacturers do have principles and I pretty much look out for their stuff before I buy anything, I don't always get theirs if they don't have the solution I need at the time but there is still some honour and honesty out there!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
hey guys,

you shouldn't really give a fuck since hardware and numbers are just things, and the best things in life aren't things.

Chasing HWBOT rankings is what got me to know all the fixes and such I know, memory tweaking, etc...almost every time someone has a problem, and I post a fix, you could really thank the extreme OC scene for.

Even though I really had no hope of making the top 10(highest I got was #53 in world rankings only), I enjoyed the challenge. Way back when, I had one of the best QX9650's on water on XS...all I needed was some good vgas, and I could have killed in the rankings. Those were good times.

Go to XS, check the HWBOT ranking threads there...you'll see post after post of mine..incremental changes, swapping vgas out for different types, etc...I had a blast.

That had nothing to do with the hardware...things...it had everything to do with me setting goals, and overcoming them. I succeeded in meeting the challenges I raised for myself. That felt GOOD.

But then, I realized I was one of few posting on the XS team, and it became very evident what was going on.

So yeah, I care aobut this stuff...because it's associated with fond memories in my heart...my kids and wife helping me build systems, teardowns, OS installs...I mourn the fun I once had.

I'm not talking about this stuff because I have anything against anyone involved in that part of the industry...I'm just not happy with things they way they are now...because I've watched the change over the years.

I and a couple of other long standing members here were in a team affiliated to a leading graphics card manufacturer, nothing particularily big even though the company is very big, we each got some hardware i suppose nearly 3 years ago now, the only instructions we got was to have fun and push the kit as hard as we could and just post some scores up around the web....... seems some manufacturers do have principles and I pretty much look out for their stuff before I buy anything, I don't always get theirs if they don't have the solution I need at the time but there is still some honour and honesty out there!

It always starts with one bad apple, and then the rot spreads from there. Why do you think I've been posting in the ECS threads, kinda excited? ;)

The possibility to turn this around exists..for sure...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.