• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC Hardware to Get Pricier Stateside as 25% Import Tariffs Take Effect Late-August

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's not everything to me. I hope it won't be for you eventually.

Of course, I'm a near hermit. What do I know? :p

I know what you're saying, but if you really think about it, one could find ways to make politics over your specific lifestyle to 'threaten' it. And the effect of that would be a change - whatever that might be - in your stance on certain things. It would influence you. For example, increasing the price of things you really like the most; or banning it altogether. (boom - ontopic!) :)

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm sure this will bring all those jobs back to the USA....said nobody with any common sense.
I'm sorry but this is a political article and therefore I will answer with political views...

This is what happens when good people only partially pay attention to how shit actually works and then vote for the most obvious Con Artist in history.

VERY VERY well said:clap::clap:

I'll take tariffs over a war with russia.

Had Obama done what Trump has done you right wingers would have busted a vessel to get him out of office..Comrade!

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
VERY VERY well said:clap::clap:

Had Obama done what Trump has done you right wingers would have busted a vessel to get him out of office..Comrade!

I think people put a lot of hope in Obama. I voted for him twice myself. Still a massive disappointment.

In any case, unemployment is pretty low. Not sure how it's related to manufacturing though.

And Japan just took back the 2nd spot in stock market value. China isn't doing as well as the media would like apparently.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Like anyone with half a brain wants war with Russia....

Well , traditional wars are obsolete anyway. You still see a few skirmishes here and there but other than that wars are mostly a thing of the past , we are more sophisticated now. Not saying large scale conflicts are never going to happen but it will probably take a little more than a tax increase to wage a world war.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I'll take tariffs over a war with russia.

That is not a realistic expectation. Here I was under the impression that you would have realized that this TUG of war state exists to keep fear of war alive. This benefits both nations mutually when it come to arms race and sale to rest of the world. This state of fear is also used a leverage when it comes to weapon research and development. Both USA and Russian are leading suppliers of WMD; excuse my language military weapons to countries around the world.

Neither one of these nations are not willing to give up $25+ billion worth of arms sale.

Back to the POST, this means less frequent hardware upgrades. Prices of RAM and GFX cards are already hiked up and I can only speculate how this will affect consumer hardware or my next GPU upgrade. This reminds of cryptocurrency scenario all over again.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

As if the commicrats aren't losing it trying get him out now.....

And the cigar stuffer - He did it while in office - Literally.... Lied about it and is being called a hero for doing it yet the left has gone nuts over something that might have happened in someone's private life years ago well before they were even a candidate, much less in office period. At least if he did he had the decency to do it on his own dime and not to get it all under the desk or all over the Oval Office itself.
I mean those cigars weren't free and I can promise you he didn't buy them, we did.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

With all the damage done in the previous years it's no wonder there's going to be alot of "Pain" to get things back to a decent state here concerning the economy.
True - Blame can be laid on BOTH sides, not just one or the other for it but this guy is the first that's produced any tangible results in recent memory.

Trade wars aren't something that was invented yesterday, they've been going on all through history itself, we're just experiencing the latest version of it and yes, things do get harder to find and buy as a result, that too being nothing new.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Well , traditional wars are obsolete anyway. You still see a few skirmishes here and there but other than that wars are mostly a thing of the past , we are more sophisticated now. Not saying large scale conflicts are never going to happen but it will probably take a little more than a tax increase to wage a world war.

Those skirmishes aren't so small. Everything in the Middle East for the past decade (and more) are proxy wars between much larger powers. And Syria alone has suffered at least 500,000 deaths and a lot of refugees. It might not be world war death toll numbers, but those world wars were the exception rather than the rule. This is still tragic by any century of war's standards.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
And the cigar stuffer - He did it while in office - Literally....

Yes, Clinton lied in office. Trump does that in office so much it's become an almost daily occurance. And you laugh that the "commicrats" (who in europe would be considered conservative, btw) are skeptical of him?

The person I was quoting was literally saying hillary would've skipped the tatiffs but somehow caused a war with Russia. This is an absolutely ludicrous idea promoted only by die-hard Trump supporters.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Yes, he lied in office. Trump does that in office so much it's become an almost daily occurance. And you laugh that the "commicrats" (who in europe would be considered conservative, btw) are skeptical of him?

All politicians lie. Clinton's fault was lying under oath. No one said anything about lying in "office".

I personally didn't care though. Special prosecutors are too relentless to be a good thing, no matter who is being investigated.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
No one said anything about lying in "office".

The person I quoted did. I mean I'm assuming he's referencing the "clinton lying about his blowjob" scandal.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
The person I quoted did.

Oops. My bad. Just jumped in that line of conversation. I thought it just meant "office" in general/on the national news level. Because that wasn't what got Clinton in trouble. It'd be even more ridiculous than it already was, if that was the case. :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Yes, Clinton lied in office. Trump does that in office so much it's become an almost daily occurance. And you laugh that the "commicrats" (who in europe would be considered conservative, btw) are skeptical of him?

You think Clinton didn't lie everyday in and out of the office?
C'mon.
They all do.

We could go on but no need and frankly it woudn't serve any use since it can be done by both sides all day long yet nothing changes.

Do know Politics and Prostitution are the two oldest, dirtiest professions in the world with the same basic thing going on.... It's just a matter of who's doing what to whom and who's getting paid over it that determines the difference between them.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Destroy someone's home and them whine about refugee problem in Europe, all hypocrisy I say. Then make them slaves by lending them infinite amount of loan and arm deals.

“Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason.”

Mark

I think this thread is taking a wrong turn and is becoming too political.

Heh.. it pretty much became political right off the bat.

I would hope everyone would at least like to see China lose though. The leaders/politicians of various countries sold their citizens out to give China the strength it has now. All under some deluded geopolitical model that "manufacturing" is just an early stage in a nation's development, where it's "meant" to be shoved off eventually, and said nation "graduates" to just focusing on Service. This is a lie.

What's funny is this was a product of 80s thinking (Thatcher/Reagan especially)… it'd be incredibly ironic if the guy who spearheads the reversal is Mr. 80s himself: Donald Trump.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Worst. Time. Ever. For a computer to die. :C

Was wanting to put off new computer purchase until at least Q4 but because of this, it looks like my deadline moves up to August 23.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
You think Clinton didn't lie everyday in and out of the office?
C'mon.
They all do.

Probably. But when you do it moronically daily on TWITTER you become a national liability far beyond Clinton-grade.

Say what you will about either Clinton, they both understood the value of shutting up.

I think this thread is taking a wrong turn and is becoming too political.

Inevitable from the moment this thread was penned by it's very nature IMO.

Do know Politics and Prostitution are the two oldest, dirtiest professions in the world with the same basic thing going on.... It's just a matter of who's doing what to whom and who's getting paid over it that determines the difference between them.

You know what? I agree with that. It just has absolutely no relevance to why Trump is outright bad for our image, and honestly, our nation. It's all because he doesn't know when to shut up.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think people put a lot of hope in Obama. I voted for him twice myself. Still a massive disappointment.

In any case, unemployment is pretty low. Not sure how it's related to manufacturing though.

And Japan just took back the 2nd spot in stock market value. China isn't doing as well as the media would like apparently.

Agreed, I voted for him twice and yes, disappointed.

USA gets a taste or real world prices. Rest of the world subsidies the USA anyway. I hate China as much as anyone, but Trump's moronic approach that hurts the US more than it hurts China is hilarious. "I'll teach China a lesson, when I destroy the US economy China won't be selling us any goods and then I will have fixed our trade imbalance. Told you I was a genius".

You couldn't make this crap up

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Probably. But when you do it moronically daily on TWITTER you become a national liability far beyond Clinton-grade.

Say what you will about either Clinton, they both understood the value of shutting up.
Can't really disagree with this, I too would rather him take it down a notch.
But again he's not one to back down, at least he has that.

Inevitable from the moment this thread was penned by it's very nature IMO.
Again I have to agree, this was a political thread right from the start.

You know what? I agree with that. It just has absolutely no relevance to why Trump is outright bad for our image, and honestly, our nation. It's all because he doesn't know when to shut up.
Honestly I'd rather have someone that at least backs up what they say than someone that flip-flops.
That does create a bad image, one of weakness in a world where everyone else is out to get what they can - Even YOU if possible.
It's just human nature to do so as history has proven time and time again.

USA gets a taste or real world prices. Rest of the world subsidies the USA anyway. I hate China as much as anyone, but Trump's moronic approach that hurts the US more than it hurts China is hilarious. "I'll teach China a lesson, when I destroy the US economy China won't be selling us any goods and then I will have fixed our trade imbalance. Told you I was a genius".

You couldn't make this crap up
The deal Carter signed with China was the catalyst that started this mess, the US was doing well enough before we became entangled with China trade-wise - At least Trump is trying to fix it so maybe it won't be so bad later but it's bad enough now there is going to be alot of pain and the longer you wait, the more it's gonna hurt.

Annnnnd..... I'm done with this thread.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
T H I C C puerto rican overclockability
Holy crap, I had to do a double take there! I thought I had wandered into Reddit or 4chan; I don't think I've ever seen "T H I C C" used on TPU.

As for the article, I think if sales in the US are high enough, hardware manufacturing could theoretically be increased in the other existing manufacturing countries (which does not include the US). The factories in China should be safe due to the demand from the rest of the world. But I'm pretty sure US PC hardware sales numbers are nowhere near high enough justify such a thing (not to mention the startup costs and delay). Other than that, this is just an obvious and expected outcome of the US-China trade war. Sucks to those affected, but it shouldn't be a major shock since it's not something that came out of nowhere.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I wouldn't be so sure other parts of the world are safe. Intel especially has a lot of intermediary steps in chip production that can get hit by the tariffs so to get a chip anywhere might have those tariffs baked in at least once, if not several times over.

Short term, the tariffs just suck. Long term, that's when things start changing. The hope is that China-US solve their trade war in the short term so the long term consequences don't start going into effect.

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
suck a doodle america, now yous know how it feels to buy computer hardware in the land down under

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Like I said, your hardware may be impacted too. Computers aren't made start to finish in one country. Components travel all over Asia, Europe, and North America before final assembly (usually China) then travel again to wholesalers.

That doesn't even take into consideration a massive reduction in overall sales. Businesses/governments will put off purchases until they have no choice. We could see new PC sales plummet and a surge in the used market. Computer hardware businesses could be driven under from the sudden shift.

The entire tech industry grew up in an era where it was virtually free of tariffs and trade restrictions which is why the industry is global. This pressure, if it remains for more than a year, is going to require businesses to rethink the global market. Instead of a few large fabs, the future may be full of lots of micro fabs, for example.

Last edited:
I'm sure this will bring all those jobs back to the USA....said nobody with any common sense.
I'm sorry but this is a political article and therefore I will answer with political views...

This is what happens when good people only partially pay attention to how shit actually works and then vote for the most obvious Con Artist in history.

Since the tariffs went into effect, the trade imbalance with China has increased 13% and the national debt along with it. The debt is now up 10% since Jan 01 2017. Trade wise, things haven't been this bad since GW Bush.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

Actually, this is what happens when a country stops letting another country shove a broom up their backside. Too long U.S. leaders have given in to China until the trade imbalance was unsustainable.

Thing is, the Chinese will buckle first. They need to eat.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Actually, this is what happens when a country stops letting another country shove a broom up their backside. Too long U.S. leaders have given in to China until the trade imbalance was unsustainable.

Thing is, the Chinese will buckle first. They need to eat.
You hope they do. The rest of the world will happily accept their goods and prices regardless of the US stance. China doesn’t “need” America. I don’t see a huge clamouring for American made goods either.