1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC heats up entire room.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Nick89, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    My PC heats up my entire room, If I leave it on when I goto bed I'll wake up in the middle of the night sweating because its so warm, I have the vent to my room closed so no warm air comes in from the furnace. If I leave my PC off when I goto bed my room gets freezing cold.

When I do an intense gaming session with my GPU and CPU under heavy load, my room gets unbarably hot.

I cant open my window:(

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Put a fan next to your bed?
    That's what I do. Good thing I have a separate room for my computer tho.

3. elixxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hehe i have the same problem..

Last night i left my PCs of now the whole room is freezing :D

4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    p_o_s_pc, Nick89 and _jM say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Fleck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn and I thought MY shit ran hot! I mean yeah it gets a bit steamy when I run COD4 for a while, but that's mostly due to the awful cooling on the BFG 8600.

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    The cooling solution wont affect how much heat your PC "dumps" into the room.
    Cooling solutions just affect how fast the heat is moved away from the chip, etc.
    So you could be running a phase change cooling system with you system at 2*C, or you could have a passive setup with everything close to its thermal shutdown and the same amount of heat is being put in the room.

I have the same problem here. I dont often leave my PC on overnight, usually only if I am d/ling large torrents, but when I do, I have a switch setup to turn all but the necessary fans off, then I can sleep! :p

As for the heat, why cant you open a window?

I leave my PC on all day a lot of the time, and the difference is quite significant going from my room to the hall, lol.

7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Mine too. Whole system probably puts out 400w of heat!

8. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    What I find really funny, is that on my Uni course, we are studying building services, and to work out heat output from PC's, they tell you to take the value of the sticker on the back of the system (on pre-builts its the PSU power). :roll:
    What noobs! Dont they think that:

A, A PC hardly ever uses the rated power of the PSU
    B, Some of that power might actually be going into doing something??? :rolleyes:

9. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use mine to warm up the office in winter, just up the fan speed on the graphics card so it warms up quicker :) Yep, it was bloody freezing in my office, sat there wearing a montane (very very thick smock) and was still shivering.

10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Correct on point A, wrong on point B - The electrical energy isn;t being changed into movement (unless you count the fans) nor light (unless you have LED's) so pretty much all the energy your system eats up is being xfered into heat energy

11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I did mean, if you include all the fans, leds, etc, lol.

12. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but it's a tiny amount of energy. The fans carry little movement energy the equation for efficiency is pressurexVolume(in m3/s)/power(w). So my CM fan has a pressure of about 30 pascals (i think if the conversion is right) and a Volume of 90 Cubed feet per minute (convert it to m3/2 and it's 0.0425). all divided by 3.
    That is a low efficiency. about 42% (which is good for a small fan)

The light energy is also miniscule ;)

They should tell you to estimate it at around 70% of the rated PSU (for newer systems)

13. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I actually thought I could cool the room a bit with an antec 1200 compared to my old generic pc case... but no in the end it turned out that I bought a much larger heater than the last one! But it keeps my CPU and GPU temps feelin all cold and stormy.

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the energy is always turned to heat, the small amount that goes to lights or fans is outweighed by the inefficiencies of a PSU. even the best ones are rated "80 plus" these days, meaning at full load 20% more power is drawn, and therefore wasted and turned into excess heat.

Its damned funny seeing people who even in this modern age think that 'hot' components heat a room more, or that a fan makes things 'colder'. Its heat tranfser - doesnt matter how big the heatsink, the same AMOUNT of heat is produced.

Hotter components mean that the heats not in the air of your room yet, a better cooled, well ventilated PC will actually feed the heat into your room, therefore making it hotter, faster.

edit: heat analogy, a hose. Water being the heat, the nozzle on the hose being the heatsink. You can put a bigger or smaller nozzle, and the water may go a different distance - but unless you change the amount of water coming out (heat output of the component) then there is no difference.

Yin says thanks.
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Just as long as the nozzle causes a uniform increase in output pressure against size decrease ;)

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    brain hurting now.

17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    My main point was just that, if you have something like a dell or HP and it says 400w, on the back, its NOT outputing 400W of heat into the room, for average use, its prob about 100w.

18. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    100w+ the energy the psu loses thru inefficiency. my guess is that your university lecturers are hugely underestimating the efficiency of the psu's nowadays.
    On the otherhand if a 400w PSU were only supplying 100w to the system the efficiency of it would go right down.

If it were a dell machine with a 325w psu i'd have to agree that most of the time it'd be outputting close to 300w of heat (even if the components were only using 200w). The problem with computers is that you have to take into account all the components, differing states, varying efficiencies, and so on. They aren't completly incorrect to say just to look at the power rating as it's the easiest way to get a guestimate.

If they are talking about a computer room with maybe 50 pcs then what they're teaching you would be seriously flawed, but if it's just for a single pc it doesn't seem like a bad rule of thumb.

19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i have a 600W PSU running a system that only uses 45W of power. the efficency goes UP with lower wattages, to a point. their worst case is actually at full load.

using the PSU label is a really bad idea, that should be the maximum you'd assume, but never, ever the minimum. my old laptop had a 90W power brick, but under load, when measured at the wall only used 35W (it was a pentium III, for reference)

20. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Well ok, it goes up and down, it realy depends on how much power your drawing - Here's a graph of an efficient power supply. (i imagine that a dell psu would vary a lot more)

[​IMG]

Your using about about 8% of the rated power - that doesn't really lead to high efficiency

If you use too little your screwed, too much your screwed. Need's to be moderate to work properly.

I was going to explain my assumptions but at this pont i've confused myself. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    Mussels says thanks.
  21. paulm

paulm New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think an optimal solution would be to run watercooling and stick the rad outside your window/room... There, problem solved.

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    that graphs handy, i go by what my power meter says, it actually has a "power factor efficiency" reading. Its possible my meter measures a little funky, but i have some rouch stats:

0-50W: it never reads below 45W on my media PC. it just wont go any lower than that, no matter how little hardware is connected.
    50-100W (3D+CPU load at stock volts): 85-90%
    100-200W load (threw in an 8600GT): 92-93%

Thing is, at <100W, even 10% doesnt really make much of a difference, in actual wattage.

23. kyle2020 Guest

Going from my room to the hall / outside is such a difference it unreal haha. And opening my window doesnt usually help. The only times I leave this thing running overnight is if im dloading large files or decide to do a folding grind. At that I struggle to get to sleep, and this system is near silent.

24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    being an asus board you should do what i do and set some profiles.

On both my intel systems i have profile 1 as 1.6GHz undervolted, lower ram timings and minimum voltages, while the second is my gaming/OC'd profile. Saves power, and reduces heat if i leave it on overnight.

silkstone says thanks.
  25. kyle2020 Guest

I never really looked into profile setting - is it difficult to set up?