1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PhysX seems pretty cool!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by gimpler, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpler New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of you might know that I bought an defective HD 4870 which would not output sound through standard HDMI adaptors. Well, I returned it and got a GTS 250 instead, and it is working perfectly.

I wasn't really concerned with PhysX, since most of the talk here makes it sound like it doesn't do anything and is just a gimmick.

However, yesterday I picked up Batman Arkham Asylum and I have to say I'm loving PhysX! All the little extra effects, as unneeded as they are, are really neat. The best part was that I didn't have to turn down any graphical settings to use it, the game is just as smooth with or without PhysX enabled on my GTS 250. I think once I beat Batman I'm going to go get Metro2033 and try that out.

Now that I'm out of school for the summer and working full time, I'm definitely going to start saving for a GTX 465 or 470, I was hoping for an HD 5830 or HD5850, but after seeing what PhysX can do, I'm not even considering them. I wish PhysX worked in every game.

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    What resolution and settings are you playing on? There has to be an impact on performance but in certain cases it may not be noticeable.

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish physics worked in all games with every card. I just got done finishing Batman AA with a GT 240 installed for PhysX and I agree it's a very good implementation of PhysX. Great game overall, I just wish you cold play as some of the Villians. Bane especially. :)

4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    what i find hilarious is that Batman AA is missing the smoke steam and those extra effects on PC with an ati gpu yet there completely intact on the Xbox 360 (ati x1800-1900 based gpu and PS3 (nvidia 6800 / 7800 gpu )why do you need a GPU physx for the PC version when both consoles use software Physx and have all the same effects.

gimmick = gimmick

that said i do enjoy physx to bad its a bunch of crap and is used as an excuse to remove content that would work without it

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    PhysX is an excuse for Nvidia fan boys to justify buying Nvidia without sounding like a fan boy.

The OP should realise that Physx is supported on very few games and probably even less games next year. It makes no sense to spend more on a Nvidia 4xx series for a select few games which you'll probably wouldn’t buy anyways.

Putting Physx aside, the Nvidia 4xx costs a arm and a leg, they're hot and power consumption is through the roof.

PS. on the ATI route I would avoid the 5830, not fast enough for its price tag.

6. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I am in total agreement: Nividia's implementation of PhysX on the pc appears to have more to do with ensuring that things don't work on the competitor's hardware, conjuring up mages of shady smoke-filled rooms and the exchange of sweaty bills with developers. They actively helped to create this image of their company by forcing users to jump through hoops and use outdated drivers simply to get their Nvidia card to work as a PhysX card along with their ATI card. Nvidia is the worst enemy of PhysX.

7. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    batman seems to have the best use of physx. at some points my gt240 hits 60% usage. I have a g15 and everest to monitor usage. With Mirrors edge it averages 6-7% usage and same wth metro2033. Batman has to be one of my favorite games of all time, even if the replay value sucks.

8. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    like i said Batman AA was fun by why do we need an nvidia gpu on PC for the same features that are avaible in the 360 version that uses ATI gpus ;) dosent make sense really lol :roll: and yes thats sarcasm

9. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:

I have a ATI 5850 and a 8800GTS for PhysX, of course it's not the way it's meant to be played:roll:, but so far i found it to be far less interesting than i thought, and there always some bug.
    There are so few games that use "advanced physx" ( Batman AA, Metro 2033, Mirror's edge, UT3, etc) that i'm glad i didn't buy a new card just for that. I fixed my 8800 last week so free Physx for me, thanks to GenL Hybrid PhysX mod:rockout:.

10. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    as for the consoles haveing the physx effects without a nvida gpu, its probably b/c on consoles the game runs at a lower res and textures aren't as highly detailed, etc... meaning having the physix processed on one of the console's cpu threads doesnt affect the game as much as the game set to a really high res and filtering, etc on a pc would.

oh, and consoles aren't running a more complex OS

tbh, i dont know why the pc version doesn't let you just run the physix in "software" mode (or does it?) , since i can easily run the physix demos on my laptops celeron 520 just fine... (but forget the pos 945 doing anything lol)

11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    it was already proven a q9400 does physx better then a gtx 275 so whats the next excuse to for physx??? its bs everyone knows it physx is nice dont get me wrong but removing graphical aspects of the game and making them only usable to those with particular hardware when its not needed is bs :respect:

the point is PC version has NO fog NO enviromental damage etc and NO AA in game unless you use an Nvidia card yet 360 gets 2xAA and has all those graphical touches with an ATi gpu and its on an aging Power PC 3.2ghz triple core thats slower then most modern dual cores

Emanuel1788, digibucc and AsRock say thanks.
  12. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    IMHO, once DirectCompute and OpenCL hit the gaming world, PhysX and nVidia's marketing team are going to get thrown out in the cold faster than you could sneeze. It's going to be the "members only" PhysX attitude versus the open, available-to-everyone DirectX and OpenCL. Guess who will win.

I'll take my new (used) HD 4850 over any of nVidia's CUDA offers.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    If Nvidia stopped acting like Nvidia, PhysX might have a chance:roll:

14. enaher

enaher New Member

Thanks Received:
    So sad, but so true:shadedshu

15. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Physics effects in games is actually a good idea.

The only problem is nVidia pretty much ruined Physx(tm) with its business tactics :shadedshu
    It is sad that Aegia did not have the influence and finance it needed to put forth their product.

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Ooh i hate that crap were they take stuff out that could be ran perfectly fine with out. Even more glad i did not buy it now.

17. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well here's nvidia's excuse...

"Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
    No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics."

by the way apparently there is a "work around" to get it to run on the cpu

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1332461

18. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    NO THIS IS INCORRECT!

it has been disproven. a Q9400 cannot do physx faster then the GPU. it was a bug. it did not run PHYSX faster then the GPU.

if you want i will find all the relevent infomation reguarding it but it would be a waste of time.

19. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    if you like physx try this game the effects are great

http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=home

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the OP is trolling anyway, his 4870 wasnt faulty, he just didnt use an ATI DVI-HDMI adaptor on the card.

digibucc and TIGR say thanks.
  21. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea why this thread turned into a anti PhysX thread, OP just said that he liked PhysX on AA. Regarding the matter, I think AA is the only game which uses PhysX effectively, so I wouldn't buy my next graphics card because I like what it does in one game.

22. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Batman is the game where physx is best implemented and the best physx game by far, as for the rest ... off the top of my head: Cryostasis (I liked it), Darkest of Days, Mirrors Edge, Dark Void and ... I can't think of any more physx games! :laugh:

23. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Batman is the game where PhysX is at its best but in reality ATI Video Cards can really do this PhysX effects. Its only a gimmick of Nvidia to disable PhysX and say its "unsupported" to other non Nvidia Cards.
    XBOX 360 could do it man. and it is only equipped with an old ATI 1k series card. Its just marketing and gimmick.

PhysX = Not good

digibucc, AsRock and Mussels say thanks.
  24. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Sure Xbox 360 Can Do It But...

Isn't it at only 720P and are the textures not more compressed as well? And are the effects exactly the same? I never bought an Xbox so I'm wondering how good it might really look. I don't like anything that dies on a regular basis. My PCs don't do that. My Xbox 360 controller is as close as I get.

25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    even if its 720p and compressed textures, thats got nothing to do with the 'physx effects' - if the 360's weak CPU and GPU combo can handle it, its sure as hell NOT a requirement for hardware physx for those effects... its an artificial limit placed in to make PhysX look like it actually does something.

Mr McC says thanks.