• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PL1 | OMEN 17-cb0xxx / I7-9750H / RTX 2060

Kerem0613

The cycle just never ends with these Omen laptops lmao

So when trying to play for example beamng.drive, my CPU power throttles and the performance of the CPU decreases.
As you can see I've disabled Turbo, PROCHOT and Enabled Speedshift and put it on 0. When having Speedshift on for example 128, it doesn't throttle this hard (obviously). So what can I do to get this power limit out of the way, or decrease temps significantly. I've thought about buying an ACTUAL laptop cooling pad, like the IETS GT Series, instead of my cheap one right now. What do you guys think and do you ahve any suggestions? Thanks alot
1714401197983.png

EDIT:
It's also worth to mention, my GPU starts to thermal throttle at 85°C, how can I decrease GPU temps aswell?

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
what can I do to get this power limit out of the way
I do not think you can remove the power limits. Your Omen is likely using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a low turbo power limit. The 9750H has a 45W TDP limit but it is impossible to reach that level long term when the EC is programmed to enforce a 35W limit as your screenshot shows. ThrottleStop has zero control of the EC power limit.

I am not sure what triggers 35W mode. The CPU reaching the 97°C PROCHOT value might be the trigger. The cooling system might not be designed to run a 45W TDP CPU at 60W. Have you opened up your laptop and cleaned it out recently? Perhaps replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950 might help but it might not make any difference to your problem. If the EC randomly decides to limit your CPU to 35W, there is usually no way to overcome this limitation.

You could try reducing the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. Slowing your CPU down so it never reaches 97°C might be one way to avoid your laptop dropping the turbo power limit down to 35W. This will reduce maximum performance but it might improve overall performance. Slow and steady vs fast and throttling.

Kerem0613

You could try reducing the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. Slowing your CPU down so it never reaches 97°C might be one way to avoid your laptop dropping the turbo power limit down to 35W. This will reduce maximum performance but it might improve overall performance. Slow and steady vs fast and throttling.
Thank you alot for the effort, seems like I'll have to reduce the turbo ratios. Very concerning that I can't even use my laptops full potential. I'll look forward to getting the Honeywell PTM 7950 soon though, even though it's a little pricey.