• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Can't wait for the walk threw Craigbru!! :rockout:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55

craigbru

Well, disturbed13 at bit-tech managed to pry an upcoming sponsor out of me...

So, since the surprise is out there, I might as well make the official announcement. I've been speaking with Ron Rogers of Romaxx CNC, and he's been generous enough to sponsor a HS-1 machine ready to run. I'll be using the machine on this project, as well as any future projects where applicable.

The HS-1 is a very solid tabletop CNC, and will be able to handle most any job I throw at it. I wanted to work with Romaxx for several different reasons. The first of which is the standards by which their machines are built. There's no doubt they are solid. The second is the support Romaxx offers after the sale. They stand by their machines, and are quick to take care of any issues should they arrive. Lastly, there is a pretty good community of users on the Romaxx forums that are willing to help and share their experience. All of these things added up to make it an easy decision for me.

I'll keep everyone updated on the machine's arrival, and I'll certainly post pics as soon as I can!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB // X12 Phanteks D30-120 D-RGB Fans
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz Refresh WQHD Computer Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0
Software Windows 11 Pro
interesting build so far, subscribed. :toast:

craigbru

Thanks! I know I've said it several times before, but I really will be starting actual construction soon! :D

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
tabletop CNC? i didn't know such things existed. will have to read up on this

craigbru

tabletop CNC? i didn't know such things existed. will have to read up on this

Yes, with the Romaxx, it's small enough to be able to fit easily in the workshop, yet be able to handle most anything I throw at it. I'm trying so hard to be patient while I wait for it to arrive...

craigbru

Are you guys ready for this?

Well, it's finally arrived! Thanks to Ron Rogers of Romaxx for making this possible. What you are about to see is the unboxing of a shiny new HS-1 CNC router.

This machine is considered a tabletop CNC, and as such, doesn't take up a lot of space. Since I work primarily in small form factor, this will fit 99% of every need I have. Even though it's a compact design, this thing arrived to me in a 125 pound box. 105 pounds of that is the machine itself. If weight is any indicator of strength, then this thing is a beast.

So, shall we look at a few pics of this thing?

The box...

Let's crack this thing open. It's definitely well packed, and bolted through the bottom of the crate.

That's it for now, but I'll follow up once the machine is setup in the shop. Until then!

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
u run it with auto cad or something?

craigbru

You would design a part in CAD or a similar program. Then you have to export that drawing to software that can translate it to g-code (machine language) for the toolpathing. After that the g-code gets run through software that actually translates the g-code and controls the machine.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Would be great if you could make a little movie clip of the machine working :)

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Good shit :D

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Btw craig, give a shout here when you start streaming, kay?

craigbru

While I know everyone is anxiously waiting to see the CNC running, I needed to take care of a few small details first. One of those details involved a custom misting solution for cutting aluminum. Why mist? Well, for the work I have to do it can be just as effective as flood, yet it's so much easier. I should say it's easier, only if you can find a workable and convenient way to implement it.

I have been doing some research into CNC misting techniques, and most of the options are geared towards commercial applications, and are quite expensive. I wasn't really willing to spend $300 on something I was convinced I could do myself. Since I'm a modder, it only made sense to mod a homebrew solution. Many hours were spent Googling anything that misted, before I came across the mention of using an airbrush as an option. I tried to find where someone had actually followed through using this method, and came up with nothing. So, I figured I might as well be the first. Even if I'm not, I'm hoping my methods and documentation will make it easier for others to find and implement themselves.

Now, before any fabrication could begin, I needed an airbrush and dedicated on-demand compressor. Amazon came through with this nicely outfitted kit.

Okay, well, now that I've got the airbrush, I need to find a way to get it mounted to the Romaxx machine. Since the mister needs to follow the mill bits as they cut through the material, it was obvious that it needed to be attached to some location near the spindle. It just so happens that there were some unused spindle mounting locations that would be perfect. So, I just needed to come up with a workable bracket of some kind. Not only did the bracket have to hold the airbrush securely, but it couldn't interfere with any machine operation whatsoever. I needed full X, Y, and Z operation with no limits or restrictions. I broke out the cardboard and started experimenting. This got me in the ballpark...

Since I was satisfied I had a workable idea, I committed it to metal...

I love bending things, so the newly cut bracket received some attention.

With the cutting of a few well placed slots, and the help of some rubber o-rings, the brush and it's coolant reservoir were attached to the bracket. I used a simple mounting method for two reasons. Ease of maintenance, the ability to have flexible mount points should some unforeseen interference occur.

So, let's get this bracket mounted! You can see how cleanly it sits in it's location. It's also easily adjustable for height.

There is plenty of room for travel with no interference.

Now finally, here are a few pics of the machine as assembled and ready to run.

All that I've got left to do is make sure I'm set for live streaming, and I'm ready to cut. If I can find a good material hold down solution, I'll give it a go tonight. (Yes, I'll likely be getting the aluminum top w/ mounting holes soon.)

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
Beautiful setup on the mister, can't wait to see it in operation

craigbru

Thanks! I've cycled it through a few dry runs without issues, so I'm hoping the real thing is just as effortless.

craigbru

Hey guys, I did a live streaming test tonight on a dry run. I was having mic issues that have since been fixed. I was also experimenting with a dual webcam setup just to test it's feasibility. I'm not sure what I'll do with a second cam, but as you see, it's certainly possible to use one.

http://www.livestream.com/losiastechnologies/video?clipId=pla_06b67ff8-9601-4a51-bfd2-6283ae9d8f69

(If you happen to get an irritating overlay on the bottom of the video, just pause and start again, and it should go away.)

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Nice Craig, it's going to look good when you actually do some cutting.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
dude this cant even be real this is insane. OMG that case in your avatar is beautiful. You should hurry up and make like a billion so by the 20th of this month I can have someone get one for me. Seriously This is amazing work. I hope they go mainstream. I would love to get one for when I do mATX reviews.

craigbru

Nice Craig, it's going to look good when you actually do some cutting.

Thanks mate! I've not had time to do cutting, as I've had other things to take care of this week. I have made a few more purchases for the machine though. I've just spent way to much money on some Vectric software for it, as well as a new vacuum table that should be arriving soon.

dude this cant even be real this is insane. OMG that case in your avatar is beautiful. You should hurry up and make like a billion so by the 20th of this month I can have someone get one for me. Seriously This is amazing work. I hope they go mainstream. I would love to get one for when I do mATX reviews.

Thanks man! Part of the reason it's taken me so long to start, and part of the reason for the machine, is to make this case able to be duplicated. Anytime hand labor is involved, time goes though the roof. Some may think it's cheating a little, but hopefully I've paid my dues with past projects. ;) There are indeed even further changes I could make that would simplify the whole building process, but aren't what I want to do for this first case. So, we'll see how much labor this ends up being before we talk about mass production. :D