• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

craigbru

Excellent! That CF is absolutely beautiful.

I hope you feel better soon. Pain really sucks, and I hope it doesn't take you away from your modding at all.

You know, I was just in the shop and I was hoping to get another layer of resin on the case. Unfortunately I forgot to shut the air conditioning vent last night, and it was too cool to cure as it should. Things will be fine by tomorrow, but I lost a day of work. I hate it when that happens... Anyway, to my point... It does look good I'll agree. I was just fondling it. Is that wrong? :D

Thanks though. I'll manage, but it does suck.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
....I was just fondling it. Is that wrong?.

Fondling a fine piece of computing gear may be wrong but it just feels so right. :D

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Why yes it does:toast::toast::toast:

craigbru

With the weekend come and gone, it's time I update all of you on my progress. It's not much, but as always, it's still a step forward. So, how about we get the case out of the mold? I designed the mold so that not only would it be reusable, it would be easy to remove. The first thing I did was to set the case on the workbench, and start tapping the core from one side to the other.

A few more taps...

The core removed.

Now it was a matter of removing the aluminum shell.

It's finally free! The case is completely removed from the mold. You can see a few small voids on the interior, but those are a non-issue at this point. Anything that remains after the exterior holes are cut, will be filled in with resin and leave a smooth surface behind.

Now, I'll add a few comments about the case itself. It's strong! In fact, it's shockingly strong. Sure, everyone knows carbon fiber has excellent strength properties, but until you experience it for yourself, it's a little hard to quantify. This case has almost no flex or deflection. I can press on the center of both sides with about all the strength I can muster, and it just barely moves. It's just that solid. On top of it's strength, it's also incredibly light. Also, I'm saving the rest of the surface work until after all the holes are cut. This thing will be as smooth as glass once completed. All in all, this was the perfect building material for this case, and I can't wait to start making my first cuts in it. Stick around for the fun coming up next!

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
It looks very nice so far man! :toast:

craigbru

It looks very nice so far man! :toast:

Thanks mate!

Time for another update!

Now that the case is out of the mold, I need to get it cut down to size. I use my trusted tape marking method, and prep the Dremel. That's really the only practical way to cut the case with it's uneven contours.

The first cut done. Would you believe that the CF cuts like butter with a reinforced disc? You can't drop the disc in and do a continuous cut without binding, but it you drop in every centimeter or so, it works very well.

Not only does the fiber cut extremely well, it takes to filing beautifully too. This pic was taken after filing and a quick bout with a fine grit sand paper. After cutting, I could finally get a measurement on the actual cross section of the case. It measures just under 2mm. That's even better than I thought.

With the first side done, it was time to mark the other side.

All done! The case now measures the perfect 40.6cm I needed. Up next, I'll be marking out and cutting all the holes needed in the case. Until then!

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
nice going how long did all that take?

craigbru

nice going how long did all that take?

Thanks. It took a few hours to make the mold, and a few hours more to wrap and bag. Cutting only took about an hour or so after the measurements were made. Since I've been planning this for so long, I'm able to jump right in. I don't need to spend a lot of time wondering about what to do next.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Nice updates. Thanks for the pics:toast:

craigbru

Well guys, I've got some bad news, my quest for perfection is going to cause a delay in moving in with part of this project... I've decided I'm not happy with a few things. I don't feel the outer edges are 'sharp' enough. I think a side effect of the initial multiple layers of CF and the resin hardening too soon, have left things more rounded than I would like. The only way to fix this is to sand the case down, and add another layer of fiber. I can't just sand down what I have and resin because I'll have to sand through a little CF to get it flat. Obviously that will kill the cosmetics. While most of you think it looks great, it's just something that I've decided will bug me. I can't put countless hours into it, only to wish I had fixed it. So, what now? Well, luckily I still have work to do... I'll go ahead and start on the side panels. I've got to order more fiber, and the side panels will allow me to fill the time until it arrives.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Well guys, I've got some bad news, my quest for perfection is going to cause a delay in moving in with part of this project... I've decided I'm not happy with a few things. I don't feel the outer edges are 'sharp' enough. I think a side effect of the initial multiple layers of CF and the resin hardening too soon, have left things more rounded than I would like. The only way to fix this is to sand the case down, and add another layer of fiber. I can't just sand down what I have and resin because I'll have to sand through a little CF to get it flat. Obviously that will kill the cosmetics. While most of you think it looks great, it's just something that I've decided will bug me. I can't put countless hours into it, only to wish I had fixed it. So, what now? Well, luckily I still have work to do... I'll go ahead and start on the side panels. I've got to order more fiber, and the side panels will allow me to fill the time until it arrives.

Your sig is so well-placed that for a second here I thought it was a reaction to your message :D

craigbru

Although it's not quite as large an update as you all were expecting, I did manage to get a few things done over the weekend. A lot of people have questioned why I wanted to bother sanding down the case and adding another layer of fiber. Well, I've got a few pics that can hopefully show you in more detail why I wasn't happy. At this point, the case is sanded and ready for it's last layer of CF. It's nowhere as pretty as it was before the sanding, but that will be remedied soon. Trust me... :D

Now, here is the best way I can show you the before and after examples of the 'rounded' edges I was speaking of. This should make things pretty clear. This is a before pic, taken of the excess I cut off of one of the ends...

Now take a look at the after. You can see there is no more rounded edge, and I'm much happier.

Okay, now with that out of the way, it's time to move on to the side panels. I'll be working on them until I have more regular CF arrive to finish the case itself. As you are about to see, making the molds for these panels is a whole lot easier than before. Two bends and I was golden. This nice piece of aluminum will be the basis of what is to come.

A few bends later...

Now I've just got to get the CF/Kevlar blend cut to size, and I can get the fiber laid down. Hopefully tomorrow!

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Excellent attention to detail and good work.

craigbru

Well, I've got a little more work done on the side panels. I'm using the same molding process as the case, but it's nowhere near as complex this time around. Here is the Kevlar/carbon fiber blend laid out and ready for marking... Isn't it pretty?

I've marked out the fiber, and am making my cuts here. This stuff truly sucks to cut. Even with a specialty shears, it has a tendency fray and not cut cleanly. I wouldn't ever attempt this with regular scissors. I would imagine you would slit your wrists in frustration.

Now finally, here are 5 layers of fabric freshly removed from the vacuum bag. I've still got plastic peel ply on it, but that will come off tomorrow. I'm going to sand a little, and add one more layer of Kevlar. The same procedure I used on the rest of the case, should get me pretty good results. The trick will be in finding the perfect piece of fiber for the top layer. The weave on this blend is very sensitive, much more so than with regular carbon fiber. Every little flaw or misalignment seems magnified 10 fold. I'll manage though... or go insane trying!

Tomorrow I'll get the other panel started, and sand this first one. Then I've got to get an end mill or two ordered for the Romaxx CNC. I'll be using it to cut out the side panels. I'll do a few test runs first, since I don't want to screw one of these up. Mistakes would be costly...

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
It's going to look SICK. Your really making it to where I'm thinking of Carbon Fiber Rad Grills.. Gotta find out where you got your stuff from.

Looking great man, thanks a lot for showing the project here.

craigbru

It's going to look SICK. Your really making it to where I'm thinking of Carbon Fiber Rad Grills.. Gotta find out where you got your stuff from.

Looking great man, thanks a lot for showing the project here.

Thanks mate. I got the CF from ebay seller elitemotoring, which is actually compositeenvisions.com. Ironically, most don't seem to have an issue with the ebay side of the business, but I've heard of complications with the web side.

craigbru

If it weren't for pictures like the following, I'd take the Kevlar/CF blend, and make it disappear... Yes, it's a royal pain to work with. I knew it would be, but until you are actually working with it and trying to make it do what you want, you have no idea...

It doesn't like to cut cleanly, no matter the process. The Kevlar fibers really have a mind of their own. I've found that I get the best results if I start cutting with a metal carbide cutting wheel. That cuts quickly, but not cleanly. I then followup with a reinforced cutting disk. This cuts much more cleanly, but it's slow. I can't take much material off with each pass. After that, I use a file to straighten the cuts. Then finally, I finish up with a 320 grit wet/dry sand paper. This does a decent job of cleaning the edge up, but it takes a light touch. So, that's one heck of a process for a single cut!

Time to cut! I used a yardstick as a straight edge, and followed up with my line taping method.

An hour later I had two sides done... This is gonna take a while. Lol.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
The shots do make it worth wild! But, I bet it was A PITA to get it worked! Thanks for the shots!

:toast:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Thanks man! Those pics are why I keep modding on. :D

Yeah man, I know what you mean. A mod can get you down, but once you get to a point, take that picture... Boom, your alive again.

jrgerryd

dude, i really like your work. very nice, you make me fall in love. lol
i wish you could make me one of those for free.

craigbru

Yeah man, I know what you mean. A mod can get you down, but once you get to a point, take that picture... Boom, your alive again.

Yes, every once in a while that happens. There is also a point that you realize that you've wasted hours on something that isn't turning out the way you want it. You gotta suck it up ans start again. It's all worth it in the end.

dude, i really like your work. very nice, you make me fall in love. lol
i wish you could make me one of those for free.

Lol, thanks. It would take a huge check for me to even make one of these for money. How do you put a price tag on a year of planning? :D

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Yes, every once in a while that happens. There is also a point that you realize that you've wasted hours on something that isn't turning out the way you want it. You gotta suck it up ans start again. It's all worth it in the end.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I've went from straight Normal Mountian Mod's Pen 24 case, to a fully custom done one. It looks like just the "casing" will be the only thing that isn't modded on that thing. I just didn't feel for mine being "like everyone elses".