• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Playstation 3 Details and Launch Date

ice91785

I have heard more that the RSX handles more like a single 7800GTX card than 6800s in SLI (comparing PC cards here of course)

Also I think blu ray will definately catch on as the world is slowly changing to high def all over the place with the passing of PURELY digitial (high def) cable as a standard in a few years and how you can't buy a TV now without it be capible of high def output.

SO! that is just my two cents in this case.

Sandman

Somehow I don't think the theoretical performance of either console will be a deciding factor. How the game developers use it will be much more important, since both systems are unique and proprietary. However, if I were sony, I would be concerned about the length of time between the consoles. The 360 has a year head start, and that means a number of things.

#1. A die shrink which will make the 360 cooler and cheaper
#2. More games will be available when the PS3 comes out
#3. Games will take better advantage of the hardware, as dev's will have been working with it for over a year
#4. It's been out longer, and many customers on the fence will have bought the available 360 instead of the "sometime late 2006" PS3
#5. The one year time the 360 will have been out probably means Halo3 will be ready to be released alongside the PS3. MS probably would have released halo 3 even if the thing came out 5 months earlier, but with the ps3 coming out in november, I doubt the game will be nearly as rushed.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
I think the info is right but somehow, I think the pics are BS. If you can have up to 7 controllers on the PS3. why are there only 4 lights on the back of the controller?

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
ice91785 said:
Also I think blu ray will definately catch on as the world is slowly changing to high def all over the place with the passing of PURELY digitial (high def) cable as a standard in a few years and how you can't buy a TV now without it be capible of high def output.

When i comes to the average joe buying a new pc from there local retailer with vista the most like drive to be installed is gonna be HD-DVD. with these in the average joe's living room, why the hell should they bother with blu-ray, when they can see that the most capable format for them is HD-DVD. more users have pc's than playstations.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
cjoyce1980 said:
When i comes to the average joe buying a new pc from there local retailer with vista the most like drive to be installed is gonna be HD-DVD. with these in the average joe's living room, why the hell should they bother with blu-ray, when they can see that the most capable format for them is HD-DVD. more users have pc's than playstations.

Because you'll also need HDCP compliant video card to even view it, which they probably won't have.

warlordfallen

xbox 360 and ps3 will be both good. xbox may get a big part of the market but still many asian developers will use the ps3 and even if ps3 aint a big hit, id still have it for that reason. just think of all the interesting nextgen games it will have one day. sense we all know both consoles will ahve 'xbox-playstion only' games unique to them only.. like halo, or killzone. i baught a ps2 just play killzone. and we all must remember that its more important to have a good game design then graphics power.. but id like to see sony have more add on features. like a wifi card and all that. lower prices mean you can get yoru foot in the door now in a console gamer's mind. atleast in mine. btu there hard core fans will go out and buy it most likely. even if it cost a grand. it costs you 40-50$ to fill up yoru gas tank.. that dont stop you right? you need you need, and we all know.. our brains run on polygons.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
I think that I want the GPU that's in the Xbox360 in my computer...lol. Even better yet, I want that and a version of linux that comes with DX10. All the joys of windows without the stuff that hogs a gig of RAM :p.

bebobsa

Carolina, Puerto Rico. Sabana Abajo's Ghetto
Processor AMD Athlon XP 2800@Athlon XP 3000 for now
Motherboard ASRock K7VT6 Socket 462
Cooling Cooler Master Stock Fan
Memory 1 GB Generic RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia BFG 6800 GT
Storage 36 GB WD Raptor & 120 GB WD IDE
Display(s) Dell LCD FPW2005 Widescreen 20.1"
Case Alienware Black Area-51
Audio Device(s) Motherboard integrated
Power Supply Alienware 420W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
There so many people in these forums that don't know sh*&^%. People saying that the HD-DVD of the xbox is for games and bulshit like that.

The PS3 is a console that's gonna be made for the future not for today. Many people don't look for awesome graphics, just gameplay they say. You can't judge the gameplay of the games right now because you can't play them but you can judge the graphics, and the PS3 have the better ones.

Sandman

bebobsa said:
There so many people in these forums that don't know sh*&^%. People saying that the HD-DVD of the xbox is for games and bulshit like that.

The PS3 is a console that's gonna be made for the future not for today. Many people don't look for awesome graphics, just gameplay they say. You can't judge the gameplay of the games right now because you can't play them but you can judge the graphics, and the PS3 have the better ones.
The ps3 may have better graphics, but the 360 has great graphics too. It also has them now, as opposed to 2 quarters from now. Yes, the ps3 is a console for the future, but only because it has yet to materialize. So if that does it for you, great. Yeah, it may have better capabilities, but how the developers make use of them is going to be more important.

BTW: I'm pretty sure the word "shit" only has four letters. :p

warlordfallen

zekrahminator said:
I think that I want the GPU that's in the Xbox360 in my computer...lol. Even better yet, I want that and a version of linux that comes with DX10. All the joys of windows without the stuff that hogs a gig of RAM :p.

the 360's gpu is so different there is no interface available for a game to use it. and linux doesnt need dx10 to play quake 2 :p

btw bebobsa, the ps3 has great graphics, still people are still programming for the xbox gpu so there knowledge or level of ability to code an engine for it is still behind we will see better and better graphics as aTi's revolutionary GPU is fully tapped and understood better by programers and content designers.

Last edited:

bebobsa

Memory 1 GB Generic RAM
I know the xbox 360 have great graphics. I have one. But in my opinion the ps3 will be the best choice this gen.

BTW when I play elder scrolls oblivion the game freeze when I access the inventory. Someone know if this is normal?

And guys, thanks to you this is my favorite forum. This is the only forum that you have a different opinion and not everybody want to kill you.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
This is the only forum that you have a different opinion and not everybody want to kill you.
WTF?
umm grow up get a life and go away before a mod deletes your account.

bebobsa

Memory 1 GB Generic RAM
yogurt_21 said:
WTF?
umm grow up get a life and go away before a mod deletes your account.

Correction, there's always a stupid one.