• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Poor WiFi signal TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

B.bajo

Hi, I have inherited the PC from a friend who built it. I am no longer in touch with said friend so cannot really ask him about the issue. After hours of trying different methods and searching what could be causing a very horrible WiFi signal I think I finally found what can be the solution but I don't want to get my hopes up and spend money for it all not to work.
I know that the motherboard is TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING and I found some info that I need an antenna for the WiFi to work properly. When trying to fix the issue previously I purchased some cheap antenna from Amazon but now looking at it I think I might need something like a dual antenna as there are two spots at the back of my PC where the antenna could be attached to.
I went into Bios when following a guide and couldn't find anything closely related to network connection so not sure if the antenna would even work.
Below I attached a screenshot of my device manager.
Please help, I think I ran out of ideas on how to fix this and my knowledge is very lacking.

P.S. I tested other devices in the same spot the PC is for network speed and the internet itself is not the issue.

Attachments

• Device Manager.PNG
    Device Manager.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 28
System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
Can you take a picture of where you think you might need to attach the antenna and post it here? And take a picture of the antenna you bought.
Heres a tip, when you are asking for help and you think it is something physical (hardware instead of software) post pictures of those physical things too. posting a picture of the software/windows, does not enable us to help you.
Because according to the website your motherboard doesn't have built-in wifi. Is the wifi an expansion card or a usb adapter? This will help us in figuring out ur issue.

The bios has nothing to do with a wifi antenna. wifi antennas use a standardized connector. You either connect it and it works, or if it doesn't work, either the wifi itself on your PC or the antenna you bought is faulty.

lastly. the part that says "802.11n" That is a relatively old wifi standard, although it its still being used here and there, it is not suitable for todays PCs where it is considered very slow and unreliable. I suggest that even though you manage to fix it, you will have way better experience by buying a replacement wifi that is more modern. Or better still, change to wired internet instead of wireless.

B.bajo

Thank you for a quick reply, and advice taken!

Looks like there is a Wi-Fi expansion card (blueish photo), but then I used the usb adapter antenna which I didn’t realise before and not sure if this is an issue. You’ll find the adapter I bought below, I have removed the usb bit as it didn’t work at all.

The Wi-Fi expansion card was already there when the PC landed in my possession so don’t know much about it. I could try taking better photos of it on Sunday when I’ll have a bit more time.

I had no idea that the 802.11n would have any meaning at all. Quickly searched it up now and to replace this I would need new Wi-Fi expansion car, is that correct?

Attachments

• D9BA8CFB-5D5C-4994-AE0C-EEAFAD184017.jpeg
    D9BA8CFB-5D5C-4994-AE0C-EEAFAD184017.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 54
  • BC1FEC65-87B0-4BAC-BF74-BF780EEF54C3.jpeg
    BC1FEC65-87B0-4BAC-BF74-BF780EEF54C3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 2E3E3C22-5E26-4E1B-8F25-41735FC5CDB3.png
    2E3E3C22-5E26-4E1B-8F25-41735FC5CDB3.png
    748.2 KB · Views: 44