1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible issue with velociraptor

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Jack1n, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    My system disk is a WD velociraptor WD1500HLFS,thing is when i leave my pc at idle for a long time and then move the mouse nothing happens,and then i have to hold the power button to power it down and then press it again to power it back up(reset button does nothing).
    and windows logs a kernel-power error exactly at the time which i forced the pc to turn down.
    i have turn off both sleep and hibernate,also i do not think it is the gpu because this happened to me with my 4870x2 aswell,the components i have in common from the last build (which it also happened on)is my raptor and my psu,the thing is this drive was manufactured before windows 7,so could it be that it simply needs a firmware update?
  2. pigulici

Thanks Received:
    No need for firmware update, but take the software test for velociraptor from wd site, and give a run..
  3. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I ran the extended test and it passed the test without error,what else could be causing this?
  4. pigulici

Thanks Received:
    sata cable(change them), bad memory(run memtest), bad psu(try another), bad gpu(use furmark for test) or bad motherboard...
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    clearly its because your velociraptor is lonely.

if only dinosaurs werent extinct, you could have got it a friend.

(tried disabling hard drive power management in windows? it might not like idling the way it does)
  6. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
  7. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    The wierd thing is that this never happens when i accually using the PC only when its idle for a long time (5-6hours atleast).

Edit:i did run several harddrive diagnostic tools and they all say it is fine,and i disabled all power saving options for my harddrive.
    The firmware i have is 04.04V01.
  8. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps call Western Digital, if you want to be certain whether the firmware 04.04V06 update would fix the issues you are experiencing now.