1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible to transfer RAID (JBOD) array to different board/controller?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by theJesus, Jul 26, 2008.

1. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    My system's pretty effed up right now and I'm not sure whether I want to RMA my board (again) or just buy a new one (and then rma and try to sell the old one).

Reason for asking this question is that I've got a lot of stuff stored on 2x500gb drives in JBOD (raid0 wasn't working properly, but that's another problem). All my specs are filled in and viewable so I won't post them here. I've just been using the onboard raid, but was considering buying a hardware controller to make future motherboard upgrades easier and whatnot.

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    To the same type of controller isn't an issue usually, sometimes it also works with a control in the same series or even just the same brand. Though don't count on being lucky.

3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I had pretty much assumed that, but I was thinking more along the lines of if I were to switch to an x38/x48 or p35/45 motherboard. I'm assuming that would probably cause a good bit of trouble though?

I'll probably just rma board anyways, and then in the [hopefully near] future buy another 500gb cuda or two, back up data on to those and get a raid card that supports appending to raid0.

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    No trouble, it'll either work or not. I haven't used onboard controllers much so I can't tell you if it does.

theJesus says thanks.