• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Post your desktop/computer pics.

Morlak

Heck anything can happen after weeks. I dont usually leave my hobby systems on unless I am using them, but I do let prime95 run overnight sometimes. Whatever works, works, and I'll be the judge of my own stability. Its all relative; What is running, what just finished running, what the temp is, karma, etc. I know of a sun box that has not been rebooted or even had a hicup since 1993, thats stable. Our PCs cant touch that period.

Morlak

I have to add that my rounding error was due to low vcore voltage used by Asus's auto overclocking setup. After I manually tweaked the CPU settings, prime95 passed the self-test, I ran the PCMark04 benchmark application with no problems, and this was at 4.105Ghz. I can push it maybe a little higher, but reaching the limits of my cooling loop quickly. I would never run this machine clocked this high because it really heats up. Benchmarks are 10 degrees above what it normally runs benchmarks at. But since it passed prime95's self test, i'll call it stable lol. heck even more or less idle its 10 degrees hotter. Clock new personal best, but back to 15% for lower temps and longer life.

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
It does multiple tests though. For example, I was running settings that seemed stable. I let it run through the first test and it passed, but at the end of the second test it came up as unstable on Prime95.

Morlak

I let it complete the whole the thing (self test) and if I know the temps will not rise above a set point, I'll let it run unattended overnight. Problem was Vcore, Im sure. Before this I have been concentrating on other things and Asus's auto overclock is just too easy. Select 3-30% hit F10, reboot, done. I had been running 20% for weeks but declocked it when I ran prime95 and hit the rounding error. Manual setups take time, so this was my first stab. 700Mhz overclock is pretty good in my book. Now that I know about what Vcore should be, I can tweak the 3.9 or 4.08 and run that as normal, then bump it to this 4.105 for benchmarks.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
I like to make sure mine is stable, nothing worse than having a crash during a game or even worse when your are hosting a server for some online gaming due to overclocking.

-Dan

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Morlak said:
Hey I looked at your score. You have an Awesome system. What CPU are you running? I have only been able to clock my 650 up to 4.08Ghz (20%) but that sometimes fails prime95. I clock it down to 3.9Ghz (15%) for everything but benchmarks (all benchmarks pass but prime95 at 20%). When I try Asus's 30% profile it fails to post. So far Ive been manually tweaking the memory at 15% and 20%. I guess I need to manually tweak the CPU settings a little and see. What are you using for cooling? I may try a evap unit next but don't know if I want to spend that kind of cash on a clocking tool right now. That may be too far above my current game.

Sorry to drag you down that rocky road of Prime stable by posting my score, thought I'd give you benchmark to compare ... Dan is right that Prime95 is a sure way to test stablility of your memory and CPU overclock... in the readme that comes with Prime states to test for 6 hours to determine stability... I have the same MOBO as djbbenn which is an ASUS P4P800-E w/ vdimm, vdroop mods. It's running a 3.2e with a Hyper6 w/dual fans. With ASUS CPU Lock Free I can change the multi from 16 to 14 which runs the 3.2@2.8 allowing the higher FSB than I could get at 3.2. I can oc the 16x to 256mhz and Prime stable at 250mhz at 14x I can oc to 298mhz and Prime stable at 286mhz... I want to upgrade the MOBO and CPU soon but think I'm going to hold out until the ATI chipset comes out. A tip from Viper...

If I could suggest Morlak ... Use the manual settings which will allow higher clocks and or a more stable system...using the board auto oc stinks

I'm sorry to take the thread off topic...

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
This Asus cpu lock free...will it unlock any intell cpu on a asus?

-Dan

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
djbbenn said:
This Asus cpu lock free...will it unlock any intell cpu on a asus?

-Dan

Dj ... it has to be a Prescott CPU and I heard that it also might have to be a C0 stepping but not 100% sure about that ...

Morlak

No rocky road dude, been down it countless times before anyway. Let me repeat since maybe you missed my own off-topic posts. When I know temps wont go superscalar, i'll let prime run overnight on its own. Didn't I say that? I just have to watch it, and play around first. Overnight for me means 10 or 11pm until 6am, thats 7 or 8 hours. And yes Manual is the way to go, I thought that was my point in a later post, but guess it didnt go over that way or you didnt see it.

Yeah I'll upgrade my MOBO too, but keep the CPU, and wait for the bugfixed ATI bios. I also need to save my quarters for the master side R520 card that will have to be in that machine as well, tip from viper...

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Urlyin said:
Dj ... it has to be a Prescott CPU and I heard that it also might have to be a C0 stepping but not 100% sure about that ...

I know that some of the C0 stepping Prescott's can be unlocked. So basicly this is just Asus's way of doing the unlock as far as I can tell. I just read on the Asus site about the 1004 bios and it had that feature. But I have D0 cpu so I guess its a no go for me. Cause I have the 1004 bios and the the cpu multiplyer is locked in my bios.

-Dan

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
djbbenn said:
I know that some of the C0 stepping Prescott's can be unlocked. So basicly this is just Asus's way of doing the unlock as far as I can tell. I just read on the Asus site about the 1004 bios and it had that feature. But I have D0 cpu so I guess its a no go for me. Cause I have the 1004 bios and the the cpu multiplyer is locked in my bios.

-Dan

Dan... it's in the advanced settings above AGP/PCI, you can only change it from auto-enabled-disabled .... but I have seen other people with the D0 state the same ... that bites :mad:

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Was in my bios and took a look, It says cpu ratio locked: 15 Theres no option to change it either.

-Dan

Morlak

Yeah mine is locked at 17. SpeedStep will clock it down to 13 but thats it (about 3.4Ghz). I am on 4.15Ghz now running prime95 and watching temps (pretty dang high). Started last night around 10:30pm, so prime has been running for over 12 hours. Temp has been steady, no climbing forever, but its really high at 62-64C. Didn't sleep too well last night and had to check it several times lol. Thats about as high as I want to see it. Good thing I took today and tomorrow off, I can tweak it. I know both AMD and Intel only unlock the very high-end CPUs.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
DanTheBanjoman said:
You need a prescott with the PR-bit I believe.

Thanks Dan ... :) ...I couldn't remember the details

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
DJ ... that still bites ... I believe I would have upgraded sooner if it wasn't for the CPU Lock Free on this board ... it's added a little life to it ;)

Morlak .... lets us know when the card comes back from John ... especially how the WTB of Viper works with the Big Water ...

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
I just got this setup not too long ago, I love it, but I think I am going to upgrade for better performance in games. The thing is, everyone of the new mobo's are pci-e, and I just go a x800pro agp so its only a few that I can chose from that are worth the upgrade. I wish I could unlock the cpu so I could get a better overclock and wait to upgrade.

-Dan

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
How do you add images?!?!?!??! I want to show you mine, I love it but I just can't figure out what to type in "insert image". Not the filepath, not the filename, then what?

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
You need to get a rounded IDE cable for your drive Wazz...that would look a lot better than that flat one. ;)

-Dan

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Or you can modify that ribbon cable if you don't have the money now? Just seperate the wires in intervals of 3 or 4 wires and then tape them together to make them round. It doesn't look as good as normal round cables but it can make a huge difference! Just be careful not to damage the wires. ;)

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
zAAm said:
Or you can modify that ribbon cable if you don't have the money now? Just seperate the wires in intervals of 3 or 4 wires and then tape them together to make them round. It doesn't look as good as normal round cables but it can make a huge difference! Just be careful not to damage the wires. ;)
I would do that, but since its an ATA133 cable, the wires are realllly tiny. Ill just get a rounded cable for about 5$ when I have the money.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Rounded cables aren't even that expensive...and they do a lot for looks. The UV ones are sweet.

-Dan

wazzledoozle

Case Thermaltake Soprano
Software XP Pro
djbbenn said:
Rounded cables aren't even that expensive...and they do a lot for looks. The UV ones are sweet.

-Dan
When I build a new computer, it will have a DFI lanparty motherboard, because they are UV :eek: