1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1950 XT Crossfire Problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by boecke, Jan 8, 2007.

1. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently have two POWERCOLOR ATI Radeon X1950 XT cards, they are both identical.
    I am wondering whether this is the correct configuration? I have checked ATI's Compatibility Chart but it doesn't seem to be up to date?

I'm pretty sure I've fucked something up.. I hope i haven't though.
    Cheers,
    boecke
  2. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    why do you say you fuck something up?
  3. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because I've bought two cards that are identical and I can't return one of them because I've opened the box.

Am i still able to use an internal bridge connector? or do i require a Master Radeon Card?
    Because the CrossFire Y-Cable doesn't look like it fits, it wasn't even included in the box! :\
  4. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone :eek: sorry, this is urgent.. :laugh:
  5. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have a Crossfire Mobo to setup software CF, or else you will need a X1950 Crossfire Edition :respect:
  6. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still don't understand.

Setup:
    ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego
    GeIL 2 x 512mb DDR400 Memory
    Two PowerColor ATI Radeon X1950 XT 256mb GDDR3 256-bit
    ( The cards are both identical, I do not have a Master )

I have installed the cards in their assigned PCI-e X16 slots.

I do know that I am not able to use a CrossFire Y-Cable as there is no input on the graphics cards for that connection - or am i incorrect?

I just want to know whether I require a Master Graphics Card for the (Slave) Radeon X1950 XT or whether I have to buy a Internal CrossFire Connector or something else to connect the two identical (slave) cards.

I hope I have explained it thoroughly enough :\
  7. TKZPOW New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crossfire requirements

Ive just built a crossfire system. There are several requirements for crossfire (it can be confusing cause it isnt clearly explained in many places). These are:

1. a crossfire compatible motherboard
    2. A Crossfire Edition card - it will say if it is right on the front of the box under 'Radeon'
    3. A Crossfire ready card
    4. 512 megs of RAM minimum ( I would recommend at least 1 gig)
    5. A power supply greater than 550 watts delivering 38 amps in the 12 volt cable (again I would recommend a higher wattage)

Look at the boxes your cards came in they should say which part of the 3 is in the box
    The x1950xtx card is a Crossfire ready card not a Crossifire Edition card. If you have 2 of those you will need to return one and get a crossfire edition card. The crossfire edition card comes with the cable. :)
  8. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    that mobo can run software crossfire. just make sure you have at least catalyst 6.9 and you should be able to enable it in the catalyst control center.
  10. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol.. return one of them and purchase a crossfire version.
  11. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    If the cards have internal bridge connectors you dont need the dongle. If it doesnt you need the dongle and master/slave cards. There's also talk of driver level crossfire but I don't know much about that.
  12. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only the x1950 pro uses the internal crossfire, the XT still requires a x1950 Crossfire mastercard as stated before. Even if the PCB of the XT has internal connectors it is still only able to CF with a mastercard. sucks yes thats why I am getting pro cards only, researched it quite a bit as down the road I am going to get either AM2 board or one of the 4x4 boards if it uses aan ATI chipset.
  13. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 1950 pro cards and crossfire doesnt work. Internal bridge is connected. I tried 4 motherboards, 3 sets of ram, 2 powersupplies, 2 different CPUs, and 4 different videocards.. ATI is jacking me around with support. I also tried 6.11 6.12 and 7.1 drivers. I also tried software crossfire (didnt work). It's a big joke so far. STAY AWAY FROM CROSSFIRE ON 1950 PROS !!!

EDIT - If anyone actually has them working please contact me.
  14. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    in some of the reviews I read it stated that 2 bridge connectors were needed. if you have already done this then I am at a loss as to why its not working. Start a new thread with a complete list of your system specs and problems.
  15. Teh Gimp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the only application available for his situation is software CrossFire -- though I am not sure if that is working yet, eventhough ATI mentionned it in one of their latest Catalyst releases...
  16. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I was going to suggest the software crossfire as well. It shouldnt take a performance hit at all and should work well. However, if its iffy, and you feel uncomfortable, trade in the unopened box for a CF edition card. You may have to only give like 20 bucks more for it.
  17. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately I've already opened the box, I've tried Software CrossFire but it just crashes my games and freezes up? Has anyone else tried "Software CrossFire".

Thanks for all the replies :)
  18. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Software CF take quite a hit in performance for high end cards actually.....
  19. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still cant believe why it doesn't work for you, bad luck maybe? Because 2 Crossfire'd X1950PRO = X1950XTX (Its funny purchasing two of them is actually cheaper than one X1950XTX).
  20. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read somewhere that you need to turn Temporal AA to "Off" and Vertical Sync to "Always On", I'm trying that now.

I've installed the January 10, 2007 drivers (7.1)
  21. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I was looking at some benchmarks and actually the x1950 pro crossfire did score higher then a single x1950xtx. I got one card free and the other for $199 so that turned out to be the best choice for me anyway and the money I saved went toward a motherboard upgrade to support core2duo and quad in the near future.
  22. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I tried this. Didn't help.
  23. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could someone please provide a detailed guide to installing Software CrossFire Mode?
    I don't want to have to fork out another $200 or so for a CrossFire Edition Card that runs slower than my XT's :)

Basically, I've enabled CrossFire in Catalyst.. It says everything is okay, the screen flickers after enabling CrossFire (which is normal), but when I go to play any game it just freezes.

I've tried Counter-Strike: Source and after the "Loading.." box down the bottom disappears the system just becomes unresponsive.

I've made sure that all the cables are connected properly, My Power Supply is CrossFire compatible (550W). The DVI cable for my monitor is plugged into the primary card and the Device Manager displays "Radeon X1950 Series" and "Radeon X1950 Secondary", In total there is 4 devices, two for each graphics card.

I am using the Catalyst 7.1 drivers, should I downgrade to 6.11? I've tried the bundled drivers but it doesn't let me enable CrossFire mode.

Hopefully that's enough information.
    Cheers,
    boecke :)
  24. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Does your system run stable with crossfire unchecked with both cards physically installed?
  25. boecke

boecke New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does, It runs perfectly fine.