• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with my Radeon 4870 card, considering a BIOS change

Chihaha

I have a BenQ G2400WD monitor, and a vanilla Diamond Radeon 4870 512 MB. At some point after the screen went dark, I was never able to get my computer to work with the monitor's DVI input again. VGA works fine, but the picture is soft and blurry. Using a DVI to HDMI adapter to send the signal from my Radeon to my monitor's HDMI input works too, but the signal although digital is markedly different than with DVI. It's just too sharp and I can't change it no matter what I do, it strains my eyes a bit.

What I found to be the weirdest of all is when I plugged by 360 to my monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable. With this configuration, the DVI port works on my monitor every time. I use like three different DVI cables to get my computer's signal working again with DVI but it's no use, the BenQ will always tell me that there's "no signal".

This puzzles me quite a bit. For now I've set it to VGA but the picture clarity is quite inferior. I love the hell out of this monitor and consider it to be one of the best purchases I ever made as far as picture vs price goes, but I only wish I could get it to work properly. I'm suspecting that maybe my Radeon is the cause of this problem for whatever reason.

Could a BIOS change/upgrade of some sort maybe help to alleviate this problem?

eleazar6

I could never get a DVI signal with my HIS radeon 4850 (dual DVIs). What worked for me was booting into windows with just the dvi-vga adapter installed, then plugging in the monitor via DVI to the other port. Since then it has worked with my DVI intput.... as long as the dvi-vga adapter was connected.

This 38 page thread on the AMD forum shows how many people are having this problem... and there are many solutions, but no definitive answer. If the dvi adapter thing doesn't work, there may something there that can help.

Good luck! this problem bugged the heck outta me for 2 weeks :)

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
Its an ati bug m8 good luck to you I use my vga adapter myself