1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with XFX 8800GTX Card

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Tlaltiplac, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Tlaltiplac New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been getting this message of "nv4_disp has stopped working". The thing is everything was fine 4 days ago. Now when I try to play a game - after about 20 seconds or so the game crashes and the message appears.

I have uninstalled the graphics driver thinking it maybe corrupted and re-installed with 175.16 (the latest on the XFXForce site). Before installation I made sure there was a clean sweep of the existing driver and installed under safe mode. However this didn't resolve the problem.

I then wiped my harddrive and re-installed from afresh but again this did not resolve the issue. The same message appears.

I was thinking it maybe something wrong with the cards Bios but XFX have not responded to my question I was hoping someone on this forum maybe able to help or know of this problem.

My computer spec is :-
    Asus P5K Premium WiFi AP mobo P35 Bios version 0504
    Q6600 Quad G0 Stepping CPU 2.4 overclocked to 3ghz
    4x 1gb OCZ Reaper 1066mhz Duel Channel
    2x Samsung 501LJ 500gb in Raid 0
    1x Samsung 501LJ 500gb
    1x Western Digital Raptor 150gb
    Antec Trupower Quatro 850W PSU
    XFX 8800 GTX G80 768mb DDR3 stock speed of:-
    630mhz core clock
    1000mhz DDR3 memory
    1350mhz Shader
    Fan speed set to 95%

2. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    go back to 169 series drivers

3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried just installing the reference drivers from nvidia instead? Just an idea.

4. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that could also be a registry issue, try to repair windows if the 169's dont work

5. Tlaltiplac New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your suggestions but i'm afraid they have not worked.

I have been reading some other forums to which they have suggested more to do with memory timings. I checked my memory timings and they are set to how they should be and that is 5-5-5-15 with a voltage of 2.10.

I have back dated the drivers to which the same result is happening. I've checked the system32 directory to see if there is any duplicate files but no duplicates are there.

I am beghinning to wonder if there maybe something wrong with the graphics card bios settings. Either that or I have a faulty card.. Please keep the suggestions coming cause I will try them out.

If I ever get to resolve this without having to buy another card I will update this post.

6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    well faulty gpu imo, u've tried different driver, which barely ever solves problems, and a fresh install of your os. so your gpu is what i would look at, send in for RMA or buy a HD 4870

7. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. Tlaltiplac New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried your suggestion Boogah and I also initially though it might be a registry problem. Thats why i decided to wipe the hard drive and start again.

However the problems are still there and I've kinda had enough.:banghead: I will be returning the card to the supplier who will test it to see if there is any problems with the card itself.

In the mean time - this has given me the perfect exscuse to try the ATI 4870 so when I return the card tomorrow I will be receiving the ATI card :rockout:. If the ATI card works then thats enough to suggest the card was faulty.

Thanks again and i'll prolly update this post when the supplier gets back to me.

9. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had the exact same problem, but damn if I can't remember what the cause was. It wasn't the video card for me... but I'm pretty sure switching to a totally different arcitecture (ie. ATI) will cause the problem to go away all the same.

The 8800GTX is a great card, but it can't hang with a 4870.

10. Tlaltiplac New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it turns out that after receiving the Radeon 4870 the same problems were happening. So I thought it might be the memory stcks. So I had 4gig spare and it turns out that my memory modules were faulty.

Odd really cause it allowed me to do everything else other than run 3D applications. All is working fine now. So I suggest if anyone else has this problem, it maybe be and idea to check your memory modules first by running memtest or something like that.

Just for reference - the 4870 is a good card, but after playing games on it - the performance is even to slightly slower (by about 2-3 fps) than the 8800 GTX. The only downside is when you ramp up the fan - it sounds like a hairdryer posessed.

I have mine on 38% for desktop stuff (not too noisey) and 50% for gaming (thats were I put my headphones on)