• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI

moontalker

Hiya,

I’ve been experiencing weird problems with a s/h board & cpu I’m trying to put together:

1. The onboard audio produces a slight but still perfectly audible interference which becomes stronger whenever there is a background activity going (file transfer, web browsing, etc.). I did think of EMI, so the spread-spectrum is enabled in Bios. To no avail but this is not a big deal indeed; I am going to be using the board with a Focusrite Saffire LE 1394 audio interface anyways. However, there is more to it, apparently…
2. When not in a High Performance mode in Power Options, the audio (even a simple mp3 file) through the external sound card would pop and clip whenever there is a background activity going (file transfer, etc.). No problems at all when in a HP mode though.
3. When not in a HP mode, the system time would fall behind. This is true for the both Balanced and Power Saver modes.
4. The CPU seems to be running a little too hot. When in a HP mode it idles at 51-53, consuming 140W (per CPUID HW monitor) at all times. The cooler is adequate and the airflow in the case is excellent. I’ll be re-applying the thermal compound (Xigmatek PTI-G4512) tonight, just to be sure.

Motherboard: Asus M3N-HT Deluxe
CPU/cooler: Phenom II X4 940 / Arctic Freezer 13 Pro
RAM: 2x2 GB Mushkin, PC8500
PSU: Seasonic SS-650HT-F3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti
Settings/OS: W7 ultimate, 2 disks in AHCI/SATA, Bios is not the latest (3401) but the version prior to that (3302) - not too keen on flashing it just yet, as I’ve seen a whole bunch of guys on the web having problems with this board after the Bios updates (I won’t assume all of them fellas are clueless). The chipset/audio drivers are the latest ones from the ASUS web-site.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
On an older Asus board I had a while ago I would get interference like that with sound, I got a PCI sound card and problem solved and I had better sound.

I'm guessing It's due to the onboard sound codec for your motherboard receiving interference from the rest of motherboard.