• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problems with Asus R9 280x Matrix Platinum 3GB DDR5 ROG

Good afternoon guys!

I bought this graphic card, and only after getting it i saw that this gpu has problems, not this one but all the R9 290x matrix ptm.

And the problem is artifacts, everyone or almost everyone that has this card complains about that.

I was able to fix it with asus tweak but sometimes i get artifacts or a square with little squares inside it..

I heard that the gpu has a bad coolling structure thats why it has artifacs, asus doesnt have a fix for it, no special bios on their website, no special drivers, whatever.

The only fix i can get its with the asus tweak, changing the memory voltage from 1600 to 1520 and they are gone, but everytime restart the pc, i have to do that or else i get artifacts. even if i burn it or save, i have to set to default - 1600 and then change to 1520.

I saw on youtube that can be perma fixed by buying little heatsinks and its all gone, but i dont wanna do it because i might do something wrong...it doesnt look difficult and ive done something similuar with boards, but still.
Heres the video:

I was hoping to find any other fix for this issue, like a bios, asus tweak config, whatever. something

a friend told me that windows 8.1 fixes the problem, i have windows 7, but that looks strange, a OS will help getting all the artifacs off, ill try it out if i dont find any other answers..

Thanks for the time!

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
Yup I had the same problem on BOTH of my Asus R9 280X cards (mind you mine were the DCII TOP versions not the matrix) but it suffered the same problem (my DCII TOP cards didn't have any heatsinks on any of the vram modules). I found (like you) that a temporary fix is to reduce memory voltage how that does get frustrating and sometimes, at least for me, the problem still occurred or I had to reduced memory speeds because of the lower voltage. I ended up returning both cards to the shop, I had a 4 week turn around for both but one wasn't repaired properly when I got it back so I had to send it back again. That time it took 13weeks and I just asked for a refund because it was taking so long (which the shop gave me without hassles).

I did some investigating on changes that were done to the working card I got back and the bios version number was different along with having reduced memory voltage of 1.5v (vs 1.6v it had from the factory). The changed bios version was also different from any of the bios versions available on Asus' website. I sold the card after I did the investigating as I bought a gtx 780 at the time as a replacement.

If I were you I'd try returning the card and if that is too difficult or inconvenient for you, try emailing or calling Asus' customer support and explain your problem. I'd try asking for a custom bios or something as well.

Just as a note I only ever had the R9 280x cards with win7. I never got a chance to try them out with 8.1 (I doubt 8.1 would fix the problem at all though).

Yup I had the same problem on BOTH of my Asus R9 280X cards (mind you mine were the DCII TOP versions not the matrix) but it suffered the same problem (my DCII TOP cards didn't have any heatsinks on any of the vram modules). I found (like you) that a temporary fix is to reduce memory voltage how that does get frustrating and sometimes, at least for me, the problem still occurred or I had to reduced memory speeds because of the lower voltage. I ended up returning both cards to the shop, I had a 4 week turn around for both but one wasn't repaired properly when I got it back so I had to send it back again. That time it took 13weeks and I just asked for a refund because it was taking so long (which the shop gave me without hassles).

I did some investigating on changes that were done to the working card I got back and the bios version number was different along with having reduced memory voltage of 1.5v (vs 1.6v it had from the factory). The changed bios version was also different from any of the bios versions available on Asus' website. I sold the card after I did the investigating as I bought a gtx 780 at the time as a replacement.

If I were you I'd try returning the card and if that is too difficult or inconvenient for you, try emailing or calling Asus' customer support and explain your problem. I'd try asking for a custom bios or something as well.

Just as a note I only ever had the R9 280x cards with win7. I never got a chance to try them out with 8.1 (I doubt 8.1 would fix the problem at all though).

the problem is i cant return the card because i lost my buying ticket..i really wanted a fix some how..

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
the problem is i cant return the card because i lost my buying ticket..i really wanted a fix some how..
Try contacting Asus directly then for a custom bios seeing as that is what seemed to fix mine and then hopefully they'll send you one to flash on. And also you shouldn't need your receipt/invoice as proof of purchase because Asus (at least in Australia) does their warranty stuff through serial numbers.