1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Program for High-Def Playback

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Monkeywoman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Monkeywoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, i now use VLC media player. i have noticed that video being played back gets sometimes studdery and drops in FPS in some high action scenes. i play video back encoded in x264 and WMA at 720p. thanks

2. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    While you are playing a HD file, open your Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Is your CPU or memory maxed-out at any point?

Did you have FFDShow loaded at any time previously?

Could be an audio issue causing the stutters. I'm trying to remember the program that syncs that up, brb...

3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    vlc is a good player, tbh ive never had problems with it.

Just make sure all the memory hogs apps are closed and nothing major is running in the back, your system is perfectly capable of playing hd content

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Monkeywoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ran task manager and my cpu usage goes to 30 percent. is there a way to use my graphic card to decode the video instead of the cpu?

5. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, use Cyberlink PowerDVD!:laugh:

Just look under "Display" in the Control Panel. The "Advanced" tab should have a tab for Hardware Acceleration. I'm thinking it should be enabled by default.

You never bothered to answer my first question about other DirectShow filters via FFDShow.
    They can bung up the works if yo uleave then hanging around.

You could also try the files with Medial Player Classic. Or try CoreAVC or K Lite codec packs.

but it sounds like you could do some cleaning up with your filters and .dlls.

6. Monkeywoman New Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont see DirectShow filters in the vlc menus. i'm downloading Divx player now with the pro codec pack to see if thats going to fix it. if not i will try powerdvd.

BTW in vlc i have audio set to DirectX and video set to DirectX