• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project Crossfire Times 2!

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Storage 2x120 SSD, (5x8tb)+(3x4tb) = 35 TB Z1 pool
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Case cooler master something i think
Audio Device(s) does anyone bother with anything but onboard?
Power Supply Whatever OCZ PC Powercooling became. 1200 modular setup
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
that looks like a perfect place for a Thermalright HR 05

+1, I use this on my P5b deluxe after I took the water cooling over to my new rig!

With water on the p5b I used to see load temps max out @ 41C

I switched to this, and I use a stock intel cooler for the CPU and I get 34C on the NB now!!

The HR05 does a great job of keeping the NB cool, and then your not adding heat to your loop.

I know you already bought a EK block for the NB, so this is kinda late, but if you need a H/S for the SB, this is a good option!

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
Was bored so i drew a drawing of my water system layout. Should it go through the rads first then the hardware, or is the way i have it fine? The only way I can think of is that the pump might heat the water a little more before flowing into the hardware.

Using a triple for the CPU and Chipset is a bit of overkill. It will be REALLY interesting to see the temps though (should be pretty low and allow a very high OC)

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Using a triple for the CPU and Chipset is a bit of overkill. It will be REALLY interesting to see the temps though (should be pretty low and allow a very high OC)

I dont know about that, The x38/48 chipset will put out alot of heat, and I run a 120.3 rad for just the CPU right now too. It does its job well, but it doesnt over perform by anymeans

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Was bored so i drew a drawing of my water system layout. Should it go through the rads first then the hardware, or is the way i have it fine? The only way I can think of is that the pump might heat the water a little more before flowing into the hardware.
If you turned the top Rad around than the hoses would go straight down to the pump,
than it could be pump up to rad than down to CPU than chipset.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Should it go pump-rad-cpu or rad-pump-cpu

I always go rad - cpu - pump, but i have heard it doesnt matter, because the speed of the water. The water will spend time in the radiator regardless of the order, and the water temp is the same across the loop.

But I still go pump then rad then block. Just to be safe.

If you turned the top Rad around than the hoses would go straight down to the pump,
than it could be pump up to rad than down to CPU than chipset.

+1, this is a good idea, you pump the water up to the radiator, and its basically a free fall after that

System Name Smilk
Benchmark Scores Infinite....
I always go rad - cpu - pump, but i have heard it doesnt matter, because the speed of the water. The water will spend time in the radiator regardless of the order, and the water temp is the same across the loop.

+1, this is a good idea, you pump the water up to the radiator, and its basically a free fall after that

Might as well do it now while i can still drill without hardware in it. Thanks for the idea MK and yeah i will go pump-rad-cpu-nb to be safe.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Man, this rig has been killing me!!!! I remember when you first had it all together, I was so excited to see some x2 xfire results!! Its killing me just thinking about it a few minutes a day - IT MUST BE HORRIBLE FOR YOU.

I do admire your work ethic with it though, take it slow, do it right, and you will be rewarded!

You have taken the proper steps to be sure that it performs, and I have no doubt you will love your rig!

Good luck with it all, and Im sitting, waiting with anticipation for some results :)

System Name Smilk
Hah yeah, it sucks, but its looking alot better and will perform better. One of these pumps per loop is going to have a rediculous amount of flow even with through a 3fan rad, so i cant wait for the temps! thanks for your interest :)

I just ordered the other filltop with resevoir by dangerden. Ill take pics with my first filltop installed in a few once.

System Name Smilk
If I hear that toyota commerical "First there is a mountain...." one more time, I am gona flip, seriously.

Anyways :toast:, I turned the rad on top around, cut holes for the hose and another hole for my other filltop & res right to the left of the other one. My camera batteries died so no pics! lol nothin big anyway to see, Yet.... I got dentist tomorrow right after work, wont be doing anything tomorrow, novacane, needles.... yeah.... Friday, my second filltop w/res & NB water block comes in, but might be busy after work.

Scratch that, I ordered the pump and top right now so I am done with purchasing.

95% chance of it being completed & running mid next week if everything turns on? If it doesnt it wont be my fault, thats for sure :toast:

P.S If it doesnt, you wont want to be here :laugh: -throws pc out the window-

Last edited:
System Name Smilk

What do you use all those hard drives for? Im curious

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
What do you use all those hard drives for? Im curious

I have taken all my videos and converted them to AVIs. I have about 25 Full TV series from start to finish, its been a hobby to collect media. Thats what got me started on wanting the fastest proc. I needed quicker conversions. My Pent D overclocked to 4ghz just didnt have the muscle I needed. So I went to a e6600, then the q6600, and its ok now.

I can convert a movie in like 25 minutes now. Its much better :)

I also keep a very long list of apps and games that I download. along with music and much more. I have about 800 gigs of TV shows, 450 gigs of Movies, and 350 gigs of Apps and games.

Im actually buying a 5 bay HD cage, and Im gonna run 5x500GB HDs in Raid5 so I can have some backup. I used to have 2 RAID 5s of my 500s and 750 drives. But I sold most of those and went to single drives. Im scared im gonna loose my data:eek::cry:

I run a FTP server for myself and my family also, so we can share media, my ma watches movies, and puts movies on it when she wants :) And I give her 100Gigs of backup space so its like a portable HD anywhere in the world that she doesnt have to carry :)

System Name Smilk
I have taken all my videos and converted them to AVIs. I have about 25 Full TV series from start to finish, its been a hobby to collect media. Thats what got me started on wanting the fastest proc. I needed quicker conversions. My Pent D overclocked to 4ghz just didnt have the muscle I needed. So I went to a e6600, then the q6600, and its ok now.

I can convert a movie in like 25 minutes now. Its much better :)

I also keep a very long list of apps and games that I download. along with music and much more. I have about 800 gigs of TV shows, 450 gigs of Movies, and 350 gigs of Apps and games.

Im actually buying a 5 bay HD cage, and Im gonna run 5x500GB HDs in Raid5 so I can have some backup. I used to have 2 RAID 5s of my 500s and 750 drives. But I sold most of those and went to single drives. Im scared im gonna loose my data:eek::cry:

I run a FTP server for myself and my family also, so we can share media, my ma watches movies, and puts movies on it when she wants :) And I give her 100Gigs of backup space so its like a portable HD anywhere in the world that she doesnt have to carry :)

Thats alot...... good gracious! lol, yeah I would be worried to about loosing all that. Do you have a rack server? Or just a PC using as a server?

System Name Smilk
Heres a final pic of the cooling system what it will be like. The hose from the top will be vertical down to the cpu, it wont curve like that. My horrible drawing :)

Attachments

• loops2.jpg
    loops2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 335

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
Looks good, looking forward to seeing the picts.

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Thats alot...... good gracious! lol, yeah I would be worried to about loosing all that. Do you have a rack server? Or just a PC using as a server?

just a PC. Its getting cumbersome, and Im worried that the summer heat will cause the HDs to over heat. They run between 38-42 now. Which is fine, I just dont want them in the 50s.

I have all the HDs right in my gigabyte 3dmars case, the case does have great HD cooling(2 x 80mm & 120mm fans on them)

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Heres a final pic of the cooling system what it will be like. The hose from the top will be vertical down to the cpu, it wont curve like that. My horrible drawing :)

can you Tline it like that?? I could see it working fine, maybe a hastle to bleed it, but I always thought it was best to put the Tline right before the pump where is takes the water in. The MCP355 with the petra top pulls water in through the top and out the side. (I have one myself :))

System Name Smilk
can you Tline it like that?? I could see it working fine, maybe a hastle to bleed it, but I always thought it was best to put the Tline right before the pump where is takes the water in. The MCP355 with the petra top pulls water in through the top and out the side. (I have one myself :))

It goes through the top and out the side???? not side and through the top???

Can we confirm this 100%

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
It goes through the top and out the side???? not side and through the top???

Can we confirm this 100%

Im positive, Ive had the pump for 2 years, and modded it about a year ago. Let me get something for you so I can prove it, 1 sec.....

System Name Smilk
Well I will be a monkeys uncle, it does go out the side from the top. Thanks for bringing that up or else i would of been like um, why isnt the water flowing while filling it for the first time. Yeah, the T lines will be right before the top inlet then. Im not drawing another pic so imagine :)

System Name File Server
Processor 2600k
Motherboard idk
Cooling H110
Memory 20gb of something
Video Card(s) onboard!
Display(s) couple 4k 32s
Mouse MX Master 2x
Keyboard G710
Software FreeNAS
Well I will be a monkeys uncle, it does go out the side from the top. Thanks for bringing that up or else i would of been like um, why isnt the water flowing while filling it for the first time. Yeah, the T lines will be right before the top inlet then. Im not drawing another pic so imagine :)

hahah, I can imagine :)

i was gonna say something when you had the first drawing, but i thought you were just gonna torture yourself when bleeding the system :D

It would probably work, but not too well

System Name Smilk
Ok got the water block on, i took off the fansw/ heatsink on the SB, those fans prob wont do anything anyway. I put the stock heatsink back on with some MX-2 paste. i put that asus mosfet fan on one of my thermalright mosfet heatsinks because it fit and might as well? :)

Im putting my board in the case now, and ill take a pic with my 2 fillports and res mounted soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 316
System Name MurderBox #17
Processor Intel Core i7 5930k - 4.5Ghz 1.275v - Bitspower Summit EF
Motherboard Asus X99-E WS - Bitspower THOR AIX99 Full Full Board Block
Cooling SR-1 480, 8x Corsair ML120 , MCP350, I&H Res 250, PETG hard pipe, Mayhems Pastel White
Memory 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition - EK Fullcover waterblock with Backplate
Storage 970 Pro 512GB, 960 EVO 500GB, PM961 512GB, 3x SM951 256GB,, WD Black 2TB, Seagate 4TB
Display(s) ASUS PG348Q 3440x1440, 2X ASUS PB278 2560x1440
Case MurderMod TJ07 With Illuminated mid-plate
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Asgard > Hifiman HE400i - Audio Technica AT2020
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i With custom MDPC Sleeve and Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Did you cut the heatpipes off the northbridge sink? And the Asus fan is probably unnecessary with those sweet thermalright mosfet coolers. All it will do is create extra noise as it is only blowing on one solid plate instead of heatsink fins which is what it is designed for. I am looking forward to seeing this done. :toast:

System Name Smilk
Um its a ek water block for the NB, i reused the stock SB heatsink. Didnt cut the heatpipes on the SB heatsink completly, for looks really, and maybe to transfer some of the heat away from it, dunno. :) ill get a pic, i got everything in except my second pump and tubing :). Pump and petra top comes in monday sadly.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
IIRC, that Asus mosfet fan will blow down through the bottom. Don't those Thermalright heatsinks have a big plate across the top? Basicly, the fan is blowing right down into the plate :confused: