1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 Owner Refunded (Without Return) for Missing Other OS

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaMulta, Apr 8, 2010.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:

more
    http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-owner-refunded-without-return-for-missing-other-os-3555/

digibucc and Solaris17 say thanks.
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nice go EU

3. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    And people say the EU is useless! Now, if they force partial refunds for everyone, that'd be the next step.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    yup most of the time I just think you guys are good for wool sweaters and various terrier breeds. Because im all about cliches. However this is good. Retailers will get tired of it. Maybe they will complain to sony for loosing so much money and it will pressure them.

5. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Amazon did this in purpose, they want free ads.

6. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    That's a damn good refund if you ask me. More than I expected to be given back for the otheros.

7. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pressure them to add back on a feature that's been hacked back on by Geohot, which to be frank (Hi, I'm Frank!), the people needing the Other OS feature, will most likely know how to install such a custom firmware.
    @kid: I kinda think that's the case, but there's also the fact that if they get asked for it by everyone, then they'll either have to refund everyone that's complained, or else have to find a cut-off point, and this will just make things worse for them.

8. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    I dont think they will add it back. However if this generates alot of bad press it may prevent wtf situations in the future.

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wow, something that actually makes sense from the EU law...this might be a first. :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, EU gets a bad rap, most people focus on the bad things, but then again, the bad stuff normally outweighs the good, so I guess it makes sense that it happens.
    @Solaris: I guess you're right, doubtful they'll add it back on, but it does make sense that this may stop Sony doing something so stupid again.

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Thats a great pr stunt by amazon,they are gonna get loads of free advertising and praise for this.The £84 was nothing to what its worth in pr.

12. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    :mad: wheres my refund?

13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    makes sense, a company like sony or microsoft can make their EULA's as one sided and screwwy towards buyers as they want but when the EULA conflicts local or federal law the law should win every time.

Good for you UK guys, but in the US, . . . . . we be screwed.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as its a partial refund and not a full one this is a good law. The refund should be equal to the feature and to ONLY those systems that were affected.

15. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    How the hell do they work out the value of the missing feature though,must be a mind fuck (pardon my french) working it out.

16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    sony fires back

doesn't really matter what their terms say. . . . European Directive 1999/44/EC:A2 seems to override them in this case for some people.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  17. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if they would kill off pictures if a picture hack hit on the PS3 like there is on the PSP.

18. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    while i hope that the EU starts smashing Sony with its might sue stick the chances of this happening are extremely slim. All Sony has to do is write piracy on a piece of paper and the EU will do what ever Sony wants :mad:

19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Partial refund is calculated how?
    Which law is this and on what terms did he complain?

Im not fully understanding the situation here.

20. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    ??? This firmware update will have no effect on more than 95% of users. The remaining percentage suffer from the update. So how is it in the majority's best interest, if they are completely unaffected? By that logic, it is equally in the majority's best interest to leave it alone, as they still won't be affected.

21. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Indeed doesnt effect me in the slightest so honestly i dont care. But ofcourse you just say the word piracy these days you get panic within the industry lame.

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    it really depends, it might not turn into anything big but the fact still remains, if you bought a ps3 and you can get some money for free, who would turn it down, i don't give a flyin f*ck about linux but if I could get some money for them taking it off I would try to get it.

23. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Wonder if anyone else would offer a refund if someone in another region complained. Not sure about here with are laws would be interesting to see.

24. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    again, if they find out that their bd-rom hardware can somehow be hacked to allow pirating of games then will they issue a firmware upgrade completely locking out the playing of blu-ray discs to "maintain the integrity of the console?" what a load of sh!t, sony. if you want to maintain the integrity of the console don't remove feature of it that i paid for!

25. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    People are using partial refunds to scare Sony into re-enabling otherOS, it would cost tons more to refund the majority rather than just re-enable, i think its more about the fact the PS3 originally had all these cool features and then the decided to reduce those. Its not just otherOS they took away, they also took away the PS2 compatibility via "Emotion Engine" and later on partial compatibility via "Graphics Synthesizer", number of USB ports, card reader and Super Audio CD support removed.

If you dont update you cant get access to PSN ect. Also limits the future updates that may happen.

Sure a lot of people dont use it but it was advertised and marketed as such and now they are using bullshit lame-o excuses to retract features.

No PS2 compatibility was bullshit they only did it because they realised they could still sell PS2's.

The original 60gb model was supreme! It had Hardware-based PS2 emulation, Flash memory readers, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi 4 usb ports.

EDIT: The only thing that i think puts off pirates on the PS3 is the capacity, i mean look how much space it would take to store and download the capacity of a blu ray.