1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 Price Drop For As Long As Stock Lasts

Discussion in 'News' started by HellasVagabond, Jul 13, 2007.

1. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a couple of days ago we learned that you can get a 60 GB console for a reduced price in the USA but now news are that its only while stocks last.
    Sony won't be making them any more, and analysts predict the last few will probably be snapped up by the end of the year.
    Either way this is a sure win for Sony since not only they get all the positive media attention for their price drop but also they get to advertise the new 80 GB console...

"...what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game. All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."
    When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60 GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."
    Sony Europe president David Reeves

Looks like the comparison between USA/Canada and Europe/Australia is not as clear-cut as it once seemed. They get 80gb and one game for the same price as they used to get 60gb - and don't get the option to buy a cheaper console. We get 60gb, two games and two controllers - and have never had a cheaper version

"We will be making an announcement on the 12th about the price cuts to PAL market models. I cannot say what those price cuts will be but they will be in line or close to the US price cuts."
    Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment in Australia

Source: Internode Games Network

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, is there anything special about the 80GB version other than an extra 20GB of hard drive space? Because I might just have to pick one up, if only I didn't just spend $500 on a bike...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
  4. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 60 GB version discount only applies for the USA...

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    20gb more, comes with Motostorm, supposedly comes with a rumble six axis controller, and the unit lacks EE (emotion engine, the chip that plays older games natively). Instead of EE, sony will use software emulation...similar to what is used in the PAL units.

6. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For PAL countries we get the 60GB version with extra controller and games for the same price. (lacks the emotion engine)

The USA gets the cheaper 60GB version (with emotion engine) and the 80GB package with motorstorm (lacks emotion engine).

Europe doesnt get an 80GB version as suggested in the original post.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6173987.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    I missread it i guess :)

8. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
  9. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Time will tell damulta.....

10. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow... what just happened? :confused:
    :laugh:

11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well its weird how SCEA denies things that their CEO in Europe said....

12. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    "We will be making an announcement on the 12th about the price cuts to PAL market models..."

12th of WHICH month exactly?! :slap:

13. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    yeah I dont understand anything in that post. I bought mine and it didnt come with a free game. Only the controller. I had to buy the HDMI cable for it. So its now 499 for the 60GB instead of 599?

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Man, give me the 60GB model any day. From what I've seen so far, the only upgrades for the 80GB are 20GB of HD space, a lame-ass game, and rumble. To top it all off, they get rid of the Emotion Engine? Not worth an extra $100 in my book.

15. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    And it's not like Sony doesn't give you instructions on how to upgrade your Hard Drive in your PS3.

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, seriously. As you pointed out earlier, I can buy a 160GB for $100.

17. newbielives New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would buy the 60GB while you still can to get the PS2 EE chip

I would buy the 60GB while you still can to get the PS2 EE chip before it goes full blown software emulation meaning some PS2 games will not work on your PS3.

And for those saying it doesn't matter because they already have a PS2, I bet their PS2 can't upscale PS2 games into HD.

18. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but their HD TV does. PS3 doesn't improve the way the PS2 games look when stretching (upscaling) the image to fit the TV. Besides, people buy a PS3 to play PS3 games, not to play PS2 games.

All upscaling is, is streching the image, and then blending the enlarged pixels together making the picture extremely fuzzy.

Also, playing FFXII on PS2 w/HD TV look better than it does from the PS3. * Both still look terrible on HD TV tho.

PS, and to all of those people who Bitched at MS for charging an extra $80 for adding another 100GB, and HDMI to their console, you better check yourself. PS3 is now $500 - they're adding on $100 for an extra 20 GB and removing PS2 hardware. Booya!

19. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  20. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    When your TV stretches (upscales) the image, it blends the enlarged pixels together using AA. Same as what the PS3 does. It's all marketing. Upscaling will never make your games look good. Ever.

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have no experience with PS3's upscaling, but with every other upscaling product I've used, it does an infinitely better job than the TV itself.

DVDs look better upscaled, why not PS2 games?

22. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Normal DVDs look better on HD TVs using proper hardware because DVDs are written at 720x480. SDTVs can only output 640x480 which is why HD DVD and Blu-Ray suppliers claim that their device will make normal DVDs look even better - they will because the TV is higher than 720x480.

PS2 games are 640x480. All the PS3 can do is stretch the image. Since the PS3 outputs at 1080p, and didn't properly upscale at release, PS2 games were stretched where each pixel grew 6 times larger and they weren't blended together in any way. They had to include some upsclaing software because plugging a PS2 into composite ports on the back of your HD-TV looked better than playing it thru your PS3 since the TVs have scalers (stretchers) w/AA built in.

FFXII is prefect example if you haven't seen it, you should. I was horrified when I got my PS3 because at that time, not even motorstorm was released, and there was no game worth playing since I own a 360 as well.

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I just got a 60GB PS3 today. I played PS2 Family Guy on it right away. It looked terrible. I updated to the latest firmware, and low and behold, it was a spectacular improvement. I think you should give the PS3's upscaling another try. It's far better than any built-in TV upscaling features that I have seen.