1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ps3 wii 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaMulta, May 19, 2008.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I can't make up my mind....

Used PS3 in town for 330 comes with spiderman is the 40Gig

Used 360(forgot to ask which one it was) for 300

New PS3 for 399 comes with noting

New core 360 for 279.

Or a damn wii that I never see in stores for 250.

I really want to pick up the PS3, but I'm not a console player.....My son is but he is only 5. Of course I want to play a few fighting games and GTA4 but that's about it for me.....

What to do:banghead:

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if its for your son go for a 360 cause its got more games. I would get him into PC gaming tho :laugh:

3. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I always OC and break his machine, or something goes wrong LOL

Console is good for him ATM:rolleyes:

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get a used or refurbished premium 360 on ebay for about $200-$250. They've got a ton of em on there, I've been watching a lot. That seems like the best deal, although it gets tricky b/c of the seeminly very frequent red ring problem. Some of the used ones are still covered under microsoft's 3 year warranty, so you gotta check what the date is on the box. Others, like the refurbished ones, come w/ a 3 month microsoft warranty and it costs an extra $15 or so to purchase an extra year after that w/ square.

PS3's are too expensive to me, unless you can take advantage of the blue-ray. The game catalog for 360 is far better, and includes most of the essientials that are on the ps3 (mgs, gta, ect.).

Wii is only if you wanna play the nintendo titles. Smash, mario, kart, zelda, ect. Definately warrants a purchase to me, but it really depends on what your trying to play. Your 5 year old may enjoy the Wii most.

5. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Yea the 360 just scares me about the 3 ring of death.....That's why I'm sooo looking at the PS3 and now I know that it will even play regular DVDs it's sounding even better.

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    You shouldnt have to if you have it in a nice cool spot. Mine is still alive and ive had it since launch.

7. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but that's not saying much. I know a ton of people that had to RMA there console more than one time.

8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    With warranties you shouldn't have to worry about being left in a lurch. You may just have to send it in for a couple of weeks. I actually think getting a refurbished one is your best bet though, as it will be cheap and fixed.

Also, the new ones w/ the 65nm core are coming out fairly soon I think, and will probably alliviate most of the red ring problems. The new core is supposed to be better. Although then you'd have to buy new......

9. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    65nm core is already out farlex :) and even if it isn't if it Red Rings and you send it in they replace the console basically and you get a new mobo etc with the new cpu and the soon to be 65nm gpu.

farlex85 says thanks.
  10. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah nice. If they refurbish a 90nm one, do they put the 65nm core in? In other words, is it safe to assume the ones selling on ebay freshly refurbished come w/ the new core?

11. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Well since the GPU and CPU are soldered on they give you a new motherboard and since its the motherboard that is what causes the red ring yes they give you a new one. I'm not sure about the one's on ebay though I assume they are.

farlex85 says thanks.
  12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll have to look more into it, see if I can get a definative answer from the sellers.:)

13. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    heat wasn't the only problem... supposedly, some of the boards warped because of the slightly curved case design and some cheap solder points broke off

if your buying it for a 5 year old... is this even a question? buy the wii, its great fun for younger kids especially and you'll enjoy playing it with your kid/family

14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    If you have seen inside the components are in a square metal box like in the old xbox.

As for ps3 wii and xbox, I would get the ps3 since it is more than just a console :toast:

15. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    wait a bit for the ps3, im pretty sure there is a gta4 bundle coming out and there is a mgs4 coming out soon 500 for the game dualshock 3 controller 40 or 60 gb i forget look it up.

16. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Keep your hopes up for a Wii, I was shopping with my sis one day and I went over to the electronics section of the Target we were at and boom, one lone Wii just sitting there. Other than that go with which ever has the most games you WILL like rather than which just has the most games.

17. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I thought but my younger relatives that I baby sit always wanted to play shooters on the 360/PS3 instead :laugh:

18. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    That's also true all my cusins and such that are 6-13ish love shotting hoes in GTA4 XD

19. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats scary

20. ElWapo973 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have both the 360 and Wii ATM. I recommend both but both have their strengths and weakness, as previously stated. I guess it's just a matter of narrowing down what you want most out of a console for yourself and your son and then filtering out the features, plus/minuses of each then just going with what you feel is best.

Heres a bit of info to make things interesting. I will finally be getting the 80GB PS3 w/MGS4 in June when it comes out: LINK If you look to the right theres another extra incentive if you apply for a Sony Credit Card they take $100 off your first statement w/ purchase of $299 or more of Sony products. Oh and qualifying purchases get no interest for 12 months(I'm starting to sound like a sales pitch). Hope that bit of info helps. :toast:

21. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Get the PS3 they seem to be built better... i think i am going to get a PS3 myself. I have friends that have the PS3 and i have a 360. I haven't had a problem with the 360 yet...

22. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to convince my brother to get a PS3 too, but instead he wants to get a Wii from Ebay for $400 with no warranty. :twitch:

The 360 and the PS3 are on relatively equal levels, but I'd go with the PS3 because you get a Blu-ray drive and more customizable options.

It'll probably be another 6 months before the Wii is available again at anywhere near the retail price. I've used a Wii, but they're not worth it unless you can find one for less than $300 (5 good games, limited internet options, limited HD capabilities, etc.)

23. atomicmonkey

atomicmonkey New Member

Thanks Received:
    The playstation 3 has littlebigplanet which I have no doubt your son will love. I'd check it out :)

24. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Your son is 5, get a Wii
    And yeah what Atomic said about little planet he would love, and a bunch of other old school classic games like crash bandicot and wipeout etc., I guess the same goes for 360 but I havent looked at it recently.
    I say just get a ps3 cause Im not sure about the failure rate on the 360 lately, You should look for a Wii first though...

25. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I think we are going to go with a PS3

Blue-Ray
    May end up getting a monitor to play on

Fighting games
    Wii would suck at this
    We just got done playing soul caliber 2 for hours on end.
    Virtua Fighter 5 →FTW

Driving games
    Sooo used to ps2 controllers
    We both like racing games

Reliable
    I hate RMAing things....There for no 360 they still fail in my eyes.

Wii
    Hard to find, not as many games that are non-nintendo. Less eye candy more like Arcade Game Cube games. Controller is very odd.

Plus the way they dropped XBOX 1 wasnt even funny. At least Sony has kept PS2 going stong, and I could see them doing this with PS3 as well.

Hard Drive
    From what I understand I could install a 500gig SATA drive to the PS3, and use keyboard and mouse to game on some games with.

GTA4 need I say more...:)

Xbox live isn't free
    Nintendo on line free, but friend codes:(
    PS3 live(or whatever it's called)Free