1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Putting warm laptop in carry case? Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think it might cause damage if a still-warm laptop (like the one in my system specs) is put into the carry-case?

I was thinking no, because being switched off it won't be getting any warmer and supposedly condensation forms only if the laptop is put in an even warmer environment than its components are.

However I'd appreciate your opinion, I don't want to do anything stupid...
    Thanks!:respect:

Edit: Especially the A/C converter... it gets hot. After some long gaming hours it might be barely touchable... :/
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    If you check specs for most electronic devices (such as CPUs, GPUs, surface mount caps & resistors, etc.) their storage specs for temperature are extended beyond that of their operating temp range, so as long as you're not putting it into some sort of heated carrying case your fine with putting away a warm laptop. My only hesitation might be regarding the battery but I feel the above logic still holds true.

Edit: I'm assuming you meant putting in the case after it has just been turned off.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    If it is warm, and you put it in the case while it is OFF, in a carrying case, it should be fine. I always did that with my laptop and, guess what? no problems.
  4. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    make sure its off though and not just hibernating...
    My stepdad put a new dell XPS into the bag and drove home with it like that... when he got it home it was so hot it burned to the touch as it couldnt breathe in the neoprene cover!

still works though !
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Neoprene covers are NOT "cool". :roll:
  6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    lolol... i guess you right :p

though to be honest im amazed this dell survived that kinda torture... my stepdad is a businessman and dosent know that much about hardware so he called me up to ask for advice when he found it that hot in its case... I certainly thought it was a gonner... but... its been working fine for the last 6 months ;)

Dell may have crap choice for desktops and charge way too much,... but laptops they do well..
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Computer parts can withstand a lot more heat when it doesn't have any electrical current going through it. Thats why people can use torches to help pop heatspreaders off and components still survive.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    no i dont htink you understand, my stepdad put his dell XPS insides a neoprene laptop sleeve... then drove home and finally after about 2 hours went to use the thing... the whole time it was actually on... just sleeping... but the processor and fans were still spinning...
    It was so boiling hot that he burned his hand on it!!!
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Sleep mode and off mode are two totally different things. In sleep mode, the parts still have electrical current running through them. It off mode, there is no electrical current.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    well yes of course... sorry reading the original post it may have confused the original poster a bit...
    Basically its totally safe to put your "OFF" laptop in the case whenever you feel like it... just not if its on ;)
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I worry about that when I'm in a hurry - like hitting the shutdown, closing the lid and throwing the laptop in the bag... only to find a few hours later that it couldn't shut down because it was waiting for you to save a document! yes, it happened to me, but I heard the fan running when I got home (short commute thk god).

So...

1) Something that is warm and dry (or hot and dry) will NOT cause condensation.
    2) Make sure it's completely powered off before packing it away!
  12. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    You know what ... when you buy a laptop.. get that 3 year warrantee along with it... then treat it like dirt... ( treat em mean.. keep em keen I always say hehehehe).... that way no paranoia ;)
  13. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Yes it only cool longer but is cooling down from temperature that is build to work at so it is like you were using you laptop 15 min longer.
  14. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I think that more brands and models would have 3 years warrante if wasn`t for you :D
  15. atarist Guest

i run a old hp compaq nx-9010 for about 7 / 8 hours a day on the net and the fan buzzers like mad when it gets hot it sounds like there is a hair-dryer in it when i am finished with it just gos back in the laptop bag my batterys dead any way so it wont start up on stadby i have taken it apart ones after using it ones and it was hot ass hell in there its a mazing the heat that there make as for puting it back in the laptop case or bag when its hot i dont think it wil do any harm 2 it.
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Eh, mine is corporate - I take good care of it, but don't always treat it with kid gloves. Sometimes I use it as my coffee tray to a meeting :cool:... LOL I like it and want it to last. Nothing worse than losing a day or two for a switch-over.