1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question on how to make your website images non copyable.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chewy, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of a guide that I could get to learn to do this? or if someone could explain it in detail. :)

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Get DRM's on it, and then everyone will hate you :p.

3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol its for my moms friend shes an artist and wants to protect her pictures. :)

4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    u actually cant stop it u just take a screen picture and u got what u want but u can stop a lot of people by doing that

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I kno, but I figure a screen pic would degrade the image quality enough humm maybe I guess we could just put the image in a shitty format though thats prob not good for business lol
    :p

6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Oh come off it! Why do women think that everything they do is so perfect and everyone wants to copy it? If people like her paintings (or whatever kind of art she does) they will buy it. If they imitate the idea... there is no lost sale... but the earning of reputation and that is credit in itself.

Tell you mum's friend the best thing she can do to promote herself if through MARKETING. She needs to get copies of her pictures EVERYWHERE and encourage people to share them. That way she might get her name and art around a bit, and possibly even "noticed"!

Just imagine an Art Gallery exhibition, or an artist's catalogue, with only blank pages and no pictures and just some text that said "the artist is so pretentious about her work she doesnt want copies of her art in this catalogue." LOL. :roll:

7. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    as long as her name is in the corner its fine. let people copy it and make her more famous

8. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love when websites have right-click disabled. I chuckle to myself. Then I imagine taking a screenshot, cropping out pictures, and sending them to the webmaster.

Anyway, the best deterrent is to watermark the images, usually in the middle. Where you do put it, however, needs to be horribly irritating with no chance of editing it out. Specifically, don't put it over a solid color. This is useful if you have preview shots with an option to buy a larger, unmarked version.

Or, like Zero Cool suggests, put her name in a corner (but if it can be edited out, it serves less purpose) so at least her name is out there.

9. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya that would work

10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ah thanks guys. Watermark with her site address or something would be best I guess.

11. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    it would b e completly impossible to make sure that a user could not copy an image. the only thign to do is watermark them.

chris

12. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what I told them to do Chris. thanks. :)

13. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, if its a nice signature in the corner, it looks good and people dont usually want to take it out. :)

14. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    but u don't want people stealing the pictures

15. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes you do, thats the point. by them stealing it, they advertise the artist. The Signature looks nice and is never (99%) taken out. its like a free ad

16. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah id go with the centred watermark. Try not to place it over the most important aspects of the image though. Make it about 50 percent opaque so that the viewer can still see behind it. Of course, its possible to edit these out if you have enough time and reference images.

Another thing you could possibly do is make the image so small that it cannot be blown up in size (eg making it 600x480 or something similarly small, which cannot be blown up in size for someones wallpaper or be printed at any reasonable quality.

Heres a useful guide on some things you can do
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=41

Note that although it may seem simple to bypass a simple "no right click allowed" piece of code to your webpage, to the average user they have no idea how to print screen. It will generally protect you IMO from at least 70% of site visitors.