1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Question About Moving Monitors?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quick Question About Moving Monitors? *Urgent*

I was planning to move a 22" Westinghouse monitor on my other computer to my main computer, and I was wondering, do I have to switch the power cables as well? Will it damage the monitor if I use the power cables on my HP Monitor on the Westinghouse monitor?

Thanks, Azn

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Depends. If it's just a normal "kettle" lead then no. I've used the same one for years. It's just a cable, but if it has a transformer on it then yes. You will need to change the cable.

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    What does "kettle" mean?

4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as both monitor cables came from the same type monitor it should be OK.. For example with the old crt's you should not use a 15"monitor cable on a 19" or bigger monitor, due to the draw of the current.

:toast:

5. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    "kettle" probably reffers to a mass-produced standard. I agree, unless it has a transformer integrated, then you can use any power cable...

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had to change power cables for mine. My 19'' doesnt turn on if I use the ones from my 15''.

7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    if its not a PITA then swap them with the monitors so you dont have to worry about it, if you have to take the desk apart to do it then leave them unless you can see some difference in the two such as a box integrated in the wire which would be the transformer or the plug fitting too snug or loose.

8. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a new problem now. I tried moving my monitor back to my other computer (not main), and it won't show a signal. Everything is connected properly and all, and there's no signal.

Btw, that monitor was on VGA, then I moved it and used DVI, and now I moved it back to VGA, but nothing is showing. Any help?

9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Is there a switch or something to switch between Analog Input and Digital Input? Mine has both and I had to switch to Digital Input when I plugged in the DVI, so maybe you have to do the same but in reverse?