• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick question about using on-board with a dedicated sound card.

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
Hi, i've been having a problem with my Audigy 2 (see specs) in that the microphone input is always scratchy and "robotic." no end of the famous Daniel_K's Audigy Support Packs and official drivers will fix this. i'm not alone in this situation. looking on other forums someone said they use both their on-board sound in conjuction with their add-in. and very specifically, he has said he uses the on-board for mic recording and the add-in for speakers which seems ideal.

so before i dive into my EFI and enable the on-board (and potentially crash/cause IRQ conflicts), i'd like some opinions on this unusual set-up.
can it be done? has it been done?

if it can't be done then i'll have to use the on-board (crappy) sound until i can afford a decent add-in card.
Thanks

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
It's actually not that uncommon a setup. I've seen many that use combinations be it onboard + a high end sound card, multiple sound cards or onboard + an external USB sound device (like me) I use the onboard Realtek audio for the TOSLINK optical output to my speakers and/or the USB Fast Tracks for the 1/4" (for when I listen to headphones) and I just switch between the two by right clicking on the speaker volume and choosing the playback device tab in Windows 7. In there several devices show up by name inc the Realtek onboards analog outputs, digital outputs, the M-Audio Fast Tracks and the ATi HDMI audio output from my video card. I also use the Fast Tracks for recording from a mic but even then it's just as simple as right click, picking recording devices and switching from the M-Audio Fast Tracks to the onboard Realtek analog, or even mic in my webcam if I wanted. All the devices show up there and usually switching them on the fly even while programs are using them is no problem.

Last edited: